SpursNetwork

Modric - Risk of Going???

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
Re: Modric - Risk of Going???
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »
I can't believe how delusional most are about the great Modric.... in yesterday's game he gave the ball away more than Palacios (I know, I counted)...

the great Modric is abit of a myth that has been cultivated at Spurs, mainly to keep his hugely inflated transfer-fee up.... he cost nearly 20m as the Euro has on balance appreciated the last 3yrs on the the pound, and we are paying in installments...

he is an intelligent player with good control and vision... but thats about it..

he lacks the pace/power to PENETRATE defences to either score or set up goals... overall, his in this respect his ACTUAL end-product is very low (for his hype)... even yesterday, Jenas in his 45min cameo actually penetrated quite well and should have had an assist at least:Lennon should have got a 2nd goal or squared it for a Jenas tap-in... Jenas' ability to spring back and forth from the defensive third to the final third of the pitch makes him the more EFFECTIVE CM.....

Defensively the great Modric is quite poor as he lacks the pace to RECOVER from advanced positions once we lose possession and looks like a little boy lolloping back at 8mph.... he can tackle very well WHEN he is in position and the midfield is congested near him... otherwise, a huge liability...

the great Modric tho will indeed look better at Chelsea, as he will be able to get thru games running... indeed near-sprinting... alot less from defence to attack, and back to defence again...maybe they will bid for him in the summer..

maybe.

Offline WilsonJet

• Mouthy Yank
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 12:31:52 PM »

the great Modric is abit of a myth that has been cultivated at Spurs

Patently false and nonsensical. In every match commentators and analysts marvel at Modric; the same commentators that are so obviously biased toward ManU and Ars*nal. Around the world Luka Modric is regarded as possibly the finest player at Spurs. He demonstrated his worth in the last two wins with perfectly weighted passes that absolutely tore open the defense and created goal opportunities. You talk about play off the ball and outside the box, but somehow turn a blind eye to the buildup in play when it involves Modric.

And for what it's worth I thought Jenas and Modric were fantastic in midfield together against Newcastle. Possibly the best I have seen Jenas play. He had command and presence and, yes, Lennon ought to have either scored or crossed to Crouch from there. JJ pulled the string on that one beautifully!

Bottom line -- He ain't goin' anytime soon. We are building and he is an important part of the team nucleus.
He's strained his left adductor muscle it says. Whats that then ? Do we all have those or just footballers ? I wonder how mine are ? *courtesy of taimedowne*

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 12:42:36 PM »
if we play a lone-striker, with Vaart as an extra central-midfield 'presence' then the great Modric is okay in a 4-4-1-1.... but AWAY FROM HOME ESPECIALLY if we use a 4-4-2 THEN the great Modric can be a liability by leaving large holes in the midfield for other teams to exploit...

I like Modric, and in the right system.... which I think will emerge after January transfers... Modric hopefully will be accommodated better.... anything, if it means we dont buy that loudmouth poison-dwarf Parker!!

FYI, Jenas has played alot better, even this season, than what you saw against Newky...

Offline OL'BOLTY

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 01:05:57 PM »
Little too much of the 'great Modric' there Mr.GK
And I just love the FYI...... :santa_rolleyes:
EL PRESIDENTE

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 01:10:14 PM »
If a player is doing well for us GK wants them out of the team. Modric and VDV are not up to his high standards. We should really get rid of Harry and put Gareth in there ASAP.

New strategy: Put all the best players on the bench until an unknown time in the future when we might bring in more players to possibly use a different formation. It's genius!
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 01:51:44 PM »

the great Modric is abit of a myth that has been cultivated at Spurs

Patently false and nonsensical. In every match commentators and analysts marvel at Modric; the same commentators that are so obviously biased toward ManU and Ars*nal. Around the world Luka Modric is regarded as possibly the finest player at Spurs. He demonstrated his worth in the last two wins with perfectly weighted passes that absolutely tore open the defense and created goal opportunities. You talk about play off the ball and outside the box, but somehow turn a blind eye to the buildup in play when it involves Modric.

And for what it's worth I thought Jenas and Modric were fantastic in midfield together against Newcastle. Possibly the best I have seen Jenas play. He had command and presence and, yes, Lennon ought to have either scored or crossed to Crouch from there. JJ pulled the string on that one beautifully!

Bottom line -- He ain't goin' anytime soon. We are building and he is an important part of the team nucleus.

Wilson you could not be more accurate and on the money, why would Modric leave Spurs to move to another side when we are on the way up unlike many others that are faultering or in decline.

I have GK on ignore because I'm just so fed up of the constant anti Spurs, Van der Vaart, Modric and Bale Bulls**t that he spouts. We have a fantastic squad (including Jenas) and a brilliant manager and coaching team that have kept us in touch with not only the top 4 but guided us to the last 16 of the Champions League.... nuff said !!!!!!

:coys:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 02:17:37 PM »
its evident that some on here would fail junior-school level English Language Comprehension..

hopefully, someone like Babel and/or Castaignos can arrive soon, to make Vaart's team inclusion viable in the longer term..

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 04:08:25 PM »
I am ignoring that poster but what he says is sure to be bollocks.

Amazing how many semi new multis are appearing on this site writing with exactly the same style.

Doesnt matter if Modric doesnt produce THE final ball, his interceptions, movement and great passing range are the resaon Bale and Lennon see so much of the ball.

Anyone saying anything else is just fishing or went to the same school as Stevie Wonder.

What a pass yesterday, superb.

Going nowhere.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
even when youre 'ignoring me' you can't ignore me Tachebaby..... its quite endearing really... you do realise the Admin bods can detect whether you you actually use your 'ignore' button, as you claim to...

Modric is a nice bloke, and a stylish player that I like to watch... he's just not as EFFECTIVE as most are made to think he is...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:09:56 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 05:08:53 PM »
LoL Haters will be haters you cant stop them. As much as he hates em or deny the myth we create. The fact still stays all over the world sees Modders pulling the string in midfield during attack. And that my friends is why, Majority overrules the lamers~

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 05:12:54 PM »
Modric played awesome again yesteday movement on and off the ball was outstanding.  For our continued progression its vital we keep the likes of Modric, Bale, Lennon, VdV,Thudd, Daws, Gomes, Kaboul and Defoe.

Unless any of them have a mercenary streak in them I cant see any other them going, they all seem to be enjoying playing for the club, seeing it move forward and also what a terrific team spirit we now have sumin that has been lacking for years (the missing part of the jigsaw maybe)?
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 05:18:45 PM »
I dont think the team-spirit is now so much better.... rather this has been a project thats progressively developed from the days of Jol and Arneson.... each step should be respected and seen as necessary in order to make the next step forward...

we have just improved the quality, quantity of the squad in those yrs.... and sold our best players at the right price, to improve the overall quality of the squad/team.... Berbatov (32m) and Carrick (18m) were 2 sales that allowed us to invest in other areas of the squad, when needed...

Offline bigv

• Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »
They key to our resurgence this year has been the consistent form of key players most notably modric vdv bale kaboul and lennon. To suggest otherwise is simply farsical gk. Try as you may your warped opinions are invalid.  Modric is the catalyst to our recent success. Any true fan recognises this. 

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 05:39:49 PM »
They key to our resurgence this year has been the consistent form of key players most notably modric vdv bale kaboul and lennon. To suggest otherwise is simply farsical gk. Try as you may your warped opinions are invalid.  Modric is the catalyst to our recent success. Any true fan recognises this.

BigV theres the problem Gareth's a gooner and only wishes failure for our beloved Spurs.

:santa_cheesy:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 06:11:36 PM »
the key to this years success has been the success of preceding years... Modric is certainly consistent.... consistently average to good...... very rarely great (which is not commensurate to his hyped status)..

as I can't see a team reallly bidding even 20m for him, I think he will stay, and do okay.... not great..... just okay..