SpursNetwork

Dawson and England

Dawson and England
« on: August 12, 2010, 10:46:34 AM »
I'm sure everyone was upset to see Michael Dawson make the error against Hungary. However, his recovery to hook the ball off the line was a magnificent effort. It's just a pity that the linesman was a Frenchie. It was obviously revenge for Waterloo!

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Dawson and England
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 01:45:55 PM »
Dawson did a mistake and he showed his class! We all know he is great! well not everyone of us in here at least..

Offline SomersetYiddo

• Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:57:58 PM »
Congratulations to Daws opn his first full cap may there be many more. I can see him having another terrific season for us at the back.

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »
congratulations to Michael Dawson on winning an England cap.... but lets not gloss over the major error he commited against even a slowish, Championship-standard striker who got him IN OPEN SPACE and then proceeded to make him look what he is...

a slow but good solid old-fashioned CB with good ole 'passion n commitment, etc' but that can look rather silly when defending IN OPEN SPACE and the ball is played along the ground..

Arry has duly noted..... again.

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 07:36:29 PM »
Congrats to daws! Long awaited cap should have been a lot earlier.
COYS!

Offline Colspur66

• Hero: Glen Hoddle
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 09:07:38 PM »
Was gutted for Daws when he made the error, (he's probably my favorite Spurs player cos of the way he always plays his heart out and with a smile on his face), but credit him for busting a gut to get back to 'clear' off the line only for a blind frog to give a goal that he most definately could not be even 75% certain had crossed the line. Still rather Daws got the error out of the way then and not playing for us when it matters.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 11:15:36 PM »
I'm also really glad that he got the error out of the way, cos we all know that he wont be making another glaring error again now til next August 2011..... that is how it works, right ??

Offline oxfordspur

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 12:00:34 AM »
OK he made an error but he sorted it by recovering to clear the ball. It's that never give up attitude that makes him so valuable.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 01:04:55 PM »
you can sugar-coat his errors with the ole cliches like 'never say die' attitude, passion, commitment, etc all you want.... not gonna make him into top-class CB..... he's a trier, we've all seen blokes like that at work: salt of the earth, very keen, will do all the minor jobs and look good doing it, everyone's favourite goffer... but when it comes to stepping up to executive-grade..well... I think you know the rest..

nice blokey bloke tho.... and does okay with the right players next to him, etc etc....

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 02:18:13 PM »
you can sugar-coat his errors with the ole cliches like 'never say die' attitude, passion, commitment, etc all you want.... not gonna make him into top-class CB..... he's a trier, we've all seen blokes like that at work: salt of the earth, very keen, will do all the minor jobs and look good doing it, everyone's favourite goffer... but when it comes to stepping up to executive-grade..well... I think you know the rest..

nice blokey bloke tho.... and does okay with the right players next to him, etc etc....

Are you describing Michael Dawson, sounds like another player you would know very well Donkey Adams very similar or even Terry Butcher both had 'never say die attitude', passion, commitment, etc etc...... all 3 are very similar players, funny how they seemed to make it to the top of their profession.

Pound to a pinch of Sh*t that Dawson starts on Saturday and has an absolute stormer !!!

???
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 03:47:45 PM »
I'd fully expect Dawson to start 2moro after Wednesday night's hash-up..

1) to drop him would send a clear signal that he's lost Arry's confidence, and his value would drop like a stone

2) we have a more  important game coming up on Tuesday in the Champions League - remember that ole chestnut ??

3) we still havent bagged that experienced CL-class CB that Arry is looking for.... the guy to possibly lead the back4 in King's days off..

against Abu Dhabi County, we should be able to protect Dawson with Bassong on 1 side and Kaboul on the other..

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 04:13:39 PM »
I'd fully expect Dawson to start 2moro after Wednesday night's hash-up..

1) to drop him would send a clear signal that he's lost Arry's confidence, and his value would drop like a stone

2) we have a more  important game coming up on Tuesday in the Champions League - remember that ole chestnut ??

3) we still havent bagged that experienced CL-class CB that Arry is looking for.... the guy to possibly lead the back4 in King's days off..

against Abu Dhabi County, we should be able to protect Dawson with Bassong on 1 side and Kaboul on the other..

Ah I see ignore the fact that Michael Dawson is a very similar player too two ex England captains and just spout a load of Cr*p.

I'm fully expecting tomorrows back 4 to be Corluka, Dawson, King and BAE so that will scupper your argument !!!

::)
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 06:11:38 PM »
doubt King will play 2moro as he will be needed in a rather important game 3 days later.... you may not be aware of this..

Corluka possibly will play, but I think Arry will prefer to protect Diddums-Blokey-Bloke's lack of pace by playing Kaboul at RB..

Dawson WILL play, cos he probably won't on Tuesday, so we gotta show at this stage that he's 'needed'... til the nrew CB arrives anyway..

but I agree that BAE will play 2moro, cos City are strong on their rightside and we'll need his better defensive play.... Bale will play on Tuesday with King to his immediate right to look after him..

PS - couldnt give a stuff about the era of Addams and Butcher when they were good enough players in a league aloyt weaker (as far less top overseas players around then)..... the old 1st Division was Championship-grade compared to the standard in the Premiership nowadays... especially since Butcherboy's time..
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:19:40 PM by Gareth Keown »

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 10:26:15 AM »
Daws was class throughout apart from that one slip. Kept the ball out and looked the bees knees after that. Would be a shame if that was held against him for the Euro qualifiers as he's one of the best CB in the Country. COYS

Offline oxfordspur

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 07:01:37 PM »
doubt King will play 2moro as he will be needed in a rather important game 3 days later.... you may not be aware of this..

Corluka possibly will play, but I think Arry will prefer to protect Diddums-Blokey-Bloke's lack of pace by playing Kaboul at RB..

Dawson WILL play, cos he probably won't on Tuesday, so we gotta show at this stage that he's 'needed'... til the nrew CB arrives anyway..

but I agree that BAE will play 2moro, cos City are strong on their rightside and we'll need his better defensive play.... Bale will play on Tuesday with King to his immediate right to look after him..

PS - couldnt give a stuff about the era of Addams and Butcher when they were good enough players in a league aloyt weaker (as far less top overseas players around then)..... the old 1st Division was Championship-grade compared to the standard in the Premiership nowadays... especially since Butcherboy's time..

Got most of that wrong then