SpursNetwork

'I haven't sat down to discuss any transfer targets with Levy' (Harry)

Offline Dom07Tottenham

• Hero: Gareth Bale
  • Season Ticket: No

I've said it before and I'll say it again we have no ambition in the transfer market, Harry has just admitted he hasn't even discussed any transfer targets with Daniel Levy, when responding to questions about Luis Fabiano, reported by soccernet and goal.com

Comments below, and further links to both articles
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=808426&sec=transfers&cc=3436

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/07/13/2023037/sevilla-striker-luis-fabiano-would-be-a-brilliant-addition?

"Yes, I like him. He's a fabulous player and would be a brilliant addition to any team," Redknapp told Soccernet.

"It was put to us that he might be available, but we've not made contact his club Sevilla and, to be perfectly honest, I haven't sat down to discuss any transfer targets with our chairman Daniel Levy, apart from trying to do a deal with Joe Cole.

"I am not unhappy with the squad I have, but of course if a special player came along I would look at it, and Fabiano is a special player all right.

"For sure, he is a class act, but I don't know what he earns. He might be on mega money, so it might prove to be impossible for us."

So if a top player was delivered on a silver platter he would consider it, this is definitely reactive and not proactive in the transfer market, this really is naive that everything will fall into place, for starters we have two aging center backs that hardly play and are constantly injured, Woody has been out for a year and its possible he might not play another game for us, secondly out of the top four Spurs scored almost 20 goals less than 3rd Ars*nal and even further behind Man U and Chelsea.
Defoe's season overall was great with 18, but the rest of the strikers between Pav, crouch, Keane and Gud only managed 20 goals together, if it wasn't for the rest of the team chipping in very well netting 29 goals, we would have been allot worse off, we failed to put games away at times, and our strikers should take most of the blame for that, and some to midfield for lacking that killer ball at times. Modric was fantastic in this area, and Hudd was solid with his long balls and through passes, If Joe Cole comes this will go a long way to improving our creativity, and delivery to forwards, and would chip in with a few goals of his own, particularly in big games. It would have to be said Modders needs to improve his shooting.

Its clear that we have a problem with Pav and Keane not happy being on the bench, Pav clearly deserves more games, last season when given the chance showed what he can do, it is great that they really want to play but neither of their futures are clear, this needs to be sorted out ASAP.  If a quality striker was to come surely one of them must go, otherwise it will only negatively impact team harmony, with constant sulking coming from the bench, whoever stays must be ready to do their part for the club, and jump in giving their all when necessary both have had problems with this, I can only see us keeping one, my preference by a long way would be Pav.

Another area is RM, unless Bentley can recover we need to have backup, I hope Rose and Dos Santos, maybe even Krancjar (not sure how he will go on the right) will be given the chance to fill this slot, providing quality backup and competition for Lennon.

We have a plethora of options for the other remaining positions, including defensive mids, left and center mids, and wide backs. Bale was a revelation at Left mid, but if Joe Cole arrives, Modders should move to LM, and Cole play behind the strikers, Hudd, and Bale move back to LB.

(IF WE GET COLE) TEAM LEFT TO RIGHT, including main backup options denoted by/

Gomes

Bale    Bassong   Dawson Corluka/ Kaboul

Modric/ Krancjar Huddlestone/Palacios  Lennon

Cole

Pavlychenko/ Crouch Defoe

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
Personally I prefer when we don't shout about who we are chasing. I would very much doubt Harry isn't chasing people behind the scenes.

I think there might also be merit in starting next season with almost the same team as the disharmony caused by some replacements could kill us. Last season was the first time in almost 20 years i have seen the team activily encourange each other hand make a point of congratulating each other fro tracking and tackling in and around the box. I would love to see that winning mentality remain.

On a side not where does everyone see the new Brazillian guy fitting in (sorry cant remember his name but i know we signed him up some months back) is he a ready now player or one who will be a bit-part cup and back up player?

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
Sorry Dom07 i also meant to say i couldnt agree more regarding your defensive points you made above. It is an area that needs a lot of thought by the club.

Offline Dom07Tottenham

• Hero: Gareth Bale

We only need 3 players. I'd be happy if we got Cole and a quality young Center back as backup for Dawson and Bassong (King and Woodgate), Cole would provide that extra creativity and could play behind the forwards, but would be exstatic if we got in someone like Suarez, who has openly said that Tottenham appeal to him, Harry and Levy must act now, not sure Levy is willing to splash 20-30m although, with his financial background he is entirely concerned with profit margins, and I don't see him paying that much for anyone. Suarez, yes it may be easier to score in the Dutch league but Suarez showed his quality upfront in the WC for Uruguay

Joe Cole
Luis Suarez
Neven Subotic or/ Garry Cahill/ Ryan Shawcross/ Micah Richards