SpursNetwork

Defoe or Keane?

Offline SpursLad

• Peng.
Defoe or Keane?
« on: March 25, 2007, 01:42:11 PM »
Basically which would you prefer to start upfront with Berba more often and why?

Which would you prefer to stay if one was off in the summer and why?

Offline Powerage

• Season Ticket: No
Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 03:58:08 PM »
As much as I like Defoe and I think hes a great player, Keane is just suited too Berbatov, they've scored a s**t load of goals between them when they play together.

Still like Defoe and for his sake I hope he starts scoring soon.

Offline Daniisco

• http://spursnetwork.com
Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 04:16:02 PM »
I think the facts speak for themselves, they score bags of goals together. So Keane gets my vote. But i would still like Defoe to stay and fight for his place. He's arguably our most natural goalscorer.

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 04:24:30 PM »
Keane at the moment

Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 05:39:50 PM »
:rofl:

Wait, you mean this is a serious question?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 05:41:57 PM by Dimitar B. »

Offline COYS

Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 06:52:24 PM »
Quote from: Dimitar B.;1070
:rofl:

Wait, you mean this is a serious question?

:yeahthat:
There is no question Keane is the better out and out striker, he's not just a goalscorer but a play maker aswell, imo defoe is just lazy but i suppose he isn't a bad second choice striker.!
Berba > God

Offline THFC

Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 06:58:16 PM »
keane is the better striker no doubt about it although defoe is a good second choice striker i find him too lazy, and when he does get into good position lets be honest he doesnt usually make alot of it
You are my Lennon, My Aaron Lennon

Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 09:55:11 PM »
defoe.
keane is brilliant player but he isnt a striker. he cant finish to save his life. we cant aford to lose either. dont see why we have to we dont need to shange anything up front if were scoring 4 per game.

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
  • Hero: Atiba Hutchinson/Jermain Defoe/Harry Kane
Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 10:46:38 PM »
Keane has better chemistry with Berbatov, and in team sports, chemistry makes or breaks your chances to go big. That being said, I'd like to hang onto Defoe as well if at all possible.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!
Proudly Canadian, Proudly A Spurs Fan

Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 01:40:14 AM »
I picked Keane. I like defoe, and im sure he'll stay, but keane is a better all-round player than Defoe imo. And i couldnt see Jol selling robbie after giving him the vice-captaincy, that'd be a weird choice by him if he did so.

Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 09:10:43 AM »
Quote from: theospurs;1158
defoe.
keane is brilliant player but he isnt a striker. he cant finish to save his life.

Career games per goal for Tottenham Hotspur;

Defoe: Played 138, Goals 43, Games per Goal: 3.209

Keane: Played 191, Goals 76, Games per Goal: 2.513

Mido:  Played 58, Goals 19, Games per Goal: 3.05

Berbatov: Played 39, Goals 19, Games per Goal: 2.05

Even before I checked out the stats I would always pick Keane over Defoe. Keane has a better awareness about him regarding team mates and his positioning is better than Defoe. Keane can read a game better and if push comes to shove Keane can make a difference elsewhere on the pitch as per the Chelsea league match at White Hart Lane when he played left sided (left back for the last 20 mins!) and ensured the win.

Defoe is a decent player but is more single minded. Goes for goal 90% of the time regardless if there is someone else in a better position (because he does not look and does not know if there is a player in a better position).

I'm glad both are at the club but it's Keane everytime for me.

Offline COYS

Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 11:31:30 AM »
yeah i completley agree defoe seems to just wait for the ball to come ot him, whereas keane looks for the ball.

Keane every time, but Defoe isn't a bad striker to have :)
Berba > God

Offline Cyril

Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 07:02:08 PM »
Quote from: MattoftheSpurs;1181
Career games per goal for Tottenham Hotspur;

Defoe: Played 138, Goals 43, Games per Goal: 3.209

Keane: Played 191, Goals 76, Games per Goal: 2.513

Mido:  Played 58, Goals 19, Games per Goal: 3.05

Berbatov: Played 39, Goals 19, Games per Goal: 2.05

Even before I checked out the stats I would always pick Keane over Defoe. Keane has a better awareness about him regarding team mates and his positioning is better than Defoe. Keane can read a game better and if push comes to shove Keane can make a difference elsewhere on the pitch as per the Chelsea league match at White Hart Lane when he played left sided (left back for the last 20 mins!) and ensured the win.

Defoe is a decent player but is more single minded. Goes for goal 90% of the time regardless if there is someone else in a better position (because he does not look and does not know if there is a player in a better position).

I'm glad both are at the club but it's Keane everytime for me.

Doesn't quite square with my perception that JD is an awesome finisher who will fashion a shot, usually on target, from almost anywhere, either foot, minimal backlift, whereas Keano, for all his sterling qualities, can be a bit wasteful (flicks that go nowhere rather than controlling and playing someone in; not reliable one on one with the keeper).  

Comparing goals per game may be a bit misleading: how many of Jermain's have been brief substitute appearances?

Personally I would favour JD: as a confidence player (when not being messed around by Sven for example), I think he is a fantastic out and out striker.  But then I am not exactly heartbroken to see Robbie on the team sheet!  Thinking about some of the players we have used up front in the past, we are lucky to have such a choice:spoton:

Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 07:22:07 PM »
very true. you can trust JD in front of goal 9/10 times, unlike keane, and you have to admit he misswes alot of "sitters"

Defoe or Keane?
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 11:20:35 AM »
I'd pick Defoe, he would score so much more if he got a decent run in the first team and Berbatov would make goals for him.  I agree he doesn't create like Keane but he's such a good goalscorer