SpursNetwork

Football League + National League

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
  • Hero: Atiba Hutchinson/Jermain Defoe/Harry Kane
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Football League + Conference
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2011, 01:15:18 AM »
Shrews 0 Torquay 0 (Torquay wins 2-0 on aggie)
Stevenage 1 AccStan 0 (Stevenage wins 3-0 on aggie)

If the pattern of dates set for the Championship (30 May) and League One (29 May) finals are any indicator, the final in the Two should be on the 28th.

Conference Playoff final goes tomoz. (or later today in your neck of the woods)

I AM CANAYIDIAN!
Proudly Canadian, Proudly A Spurs Fan

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2011, 06:36:08 AM »
Okay, I can't help being just a little disappointed with this result :P Not because of who won, but because of the scoreline. After outscoring their opponents by a combined total 13-2 - Luton 5-1 over Wrexham and Wimbledon 8-1 over Eastwood - it took penalties to decide who were on the up, after regulation finished scoreless. 0-0 through 120 minutes of play. I suppose it was because neither team wanted to make "the mistake." But from reports I've seen, there were a few good scoring chances.

I suppose it's something of a feel-good story for football in general, as to who ended up winning. After the original FC Wimbledon was forcibly relocated to Milton Keynes nine years ago, it can't be anything but ecstasy for AFC Wimbledon's fanbase that the club the original team's gutted fans founded has clawed its way up five levels in just nine seasons, back into the Football League. The exclamation point in the penalty shootout was Danny Kedwell burying it after Seb Brown (who was in Wimbledon the year the club was moved) had made his second of two consecutive PS saves.

By the way, the teams playing in the Conference North/South are literally the exact figures I picked. Now most of the teams' locations were no-brainers. It was a very small group of teams that could have gone either way.

http://www.thefa.com/Leagues/NationalLeagueSystem/NewsAndFeatures/2011/~/media/Files/PDF/Leagues/NLS/NLS_Restructuring_2011-12.ashx/NLS_Restructuring_2011-12.pdf

There are a few interesting things I've noticed in this table, which was released yesterday:

- Ilkeston Town FC, who were wound up earlier this season, have reformed and been reinstated in the First Division South of the Northern Premier League, sparing Burscough relegation.
- Hednesford and Barwell were flipped around, with the former going from Southern Prem to Northern and the latter doing the exact opposite, having come off a promotion. There were a few swaps in the lower divisions as well.
- Weymouth in the SFL Premier was spared relegation because Windsor & Eton was wound up. This wasn't mentioned in the table. :P

Anyhoo, this is it for the lower levels. Bring on WEMBLEY!

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2011, 09:04:01 AM »
Ahh the last weekend of football.

Only 1 playoff is at wembley am i right? Which the championship playoff? On Monday?

League 2 (Saturday) and league 1 (Sunday) are at Manchester united.

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline Derry-Yid

• Hero: Teddy Sheringham
« Reply #183 on: May 24, 2011, 05:59:51 PM »
Ahh the last weekend of football.

Only 1 playoff is at wembley am i right? Which the championship playoff? On Monday?

League 2 (Saturday) and league 1 (Sunday) are at Manchester united.

Correct, the championship one is on monday at Wembley and other two at OT...they couldnt have them all at Wembley as there is a big match on apparently!
"It's been my life, Tottenham Hotspur,
and I love the club."

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #184 on: May 24, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »
Ahh, gotcha. I know the Conference playoff finals were at City of Manchester Stadium. And upon checking Soccerway.com, it seems you are right. Old Trafford it is. :ohyeah:

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2011, 08:02:11 PM »
John Mousinho proved the hero as Stevenage are the winners of the 2011 League Two playoff, 1-0 over Torquay. :)

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »
I'll bet this final was fun to watch. :P

Peterborough bulldozed Huddersfield 3-0, but here's the catch - all three goals were scored in the space of five minutes, starting in the 79th minute! :lol:

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2011, 07:02:41 PM »
Well, like I said in the shoutbox, history has been made.  :ohyeah:

Swansea City became the first Welsh team to ever play in the Premiership after a 4-2 win over Reading, after nearly blowing a 3-0 lead. The big story for the Swans was Scott Sinclair, who bagged a hat-trick, includng two goals just a minute apart (the first of these, and his third, were both penalties). It was 3-0 after the first half but an own goal by Joe Allen let Reading back in the game, with defender Matthew Mills scoring to make it 3-2. But Reading's Achilles heel was not being able to keep themselves from fouling, and in the 80th minute this gave Swansea the penalty that put the final nail in the coffin.

Well done, Swansea. You've earned it. :up:

Signing off for another season, this is DC76.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #188 on: November 05, 2011, 06:43:19 PM »
I started late this year! :-X

CHAMPIONSHIP

Early on, it seems Southampton (36) are the strong starters, having only lost two of their first sixteen. Wet Spam (31), Cardiff, and Middlesbrough (both 27) are also doing quite well. Bristol City (13), Coventry City, and Doncaster (both 12) are struggling the most. It seems the Brummies (21, from 12 matches) are having scheduling issues, as everyone else in the champs have played 15 or 16 matches.

LEAGUE ONE

Charlton (40) is really tearing things up earlier, having only lost one out of seventeen and having won twelve. Huddersfield (35) is also looking strong - although they have only won nine, they have yet to lose. One shouldn't count out Sheffield Wednesday (33), either. They've won ten this season, although they have also lost four.

There is no huge gap between red-zoner and non-red-zoner in the league's nether regions, though, with only six points separating 17th-place Sc*nthorpe (18) from last-place Yeovil (12):

17. Sc*nthorpe - 18 (-9)
18. Leyton Orient - 18 (-13)
19. Exeter - 16
20. Walsall - 15
21. Rochdale - 14
22. Chesterfield - 13 (21 GF)
23. Wycombe - 13 (17 GF)
24. Yeovil - 12

LEAGUE TWO

Southend (38) and Crawley (36) are running neck and neck early in the season, with Cheltenham (32), Shrewsbury (31), and Morecambe (30) not at all far off. Matter of fact, if the playoff spots are any indication of how the season will progress, we're going to see some marvellous football! Swindon, Oxford, and Burton (all 29) are even in the points, with the last of the three out by goal diff at this early stage. I'm sure Canadian manager Paul Peschisolido will be pushing his lads hard to get results!

Speaking of results, Plymouth Argyle (9) is severely lacking in them, possessing the worst record of any team in the League with a dismal nine points. This isn't to say that the teams immediately ahead of them are faring much better. Barnet and Dag & Red (13 each) and Bradford (14) are also having a really rough go of things, and there are four other clubs who have yet to reach 20 points on the season.

CONFERENCE PREMIER

"Close" is the best way to describe the Conference's top tier at the moment. Wrexham is holding off Fleetwood for first by goals as both have 40 points on the season (+19 to +14), while five teams - Cambridge United (36), York (35), Southport (35), Gateshead (34), and Luton (33), are within a win's range of either being in the playoffs or being out. On the flip side, though, Bath ( 8) is doing even worse than Plymouth in the League and they've played more matches to boot! DERP! Alfreton (10) is also really struggling early. Newport (15) and Hayes & Yeading (17) are in the red as well, but they aren't struggling quite so much, with Stockport, Lincoln, Kettering (all 19), and Telford (18) all within easy reach.

CONFERENCE NORTH

Closer at the bottom end than at the top, really. After an abysmal season in which they were fortunate to survive, Hyde (38) is now in second place with more points in their first sixteen matches this season than they gleaned all of last season (they finished with 36)! Eight clear of Gainsborough (31), the only real hurdle they have is the team one point ahead of them, Stalybridge Celtic (39). Two points each separate the remaining playoff spot holders as well as the first team out - Gainsborough, Guiseley (29), Corby (27), and Altrincham (25), whose lucky streak came to an end last season. No more of this getting reprieve from other clubs' misfortunes. Cheating gimps. :P Anyway, Nuneaton and Worcester (both 24) are both within immediate striking distance of Corby as well.

Six points separate eight teams at the bottom:

15. Gloucester - 16 (-1)
16. Solihull - 16 (-9)
17. Hinckley - 15
18. Vauxhall - 14 (-8)
19. Workington - 14 (-13)
20. Bishop's Stortford - 13
21. Eastwood - 12
22. Blyth Spartans - 10

Still early, too, so it should be interesting down there.

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Woking (39) has an early cushion, but that could disappear quickly if any of the next three clubs in the standings - Sutton, Welling (both 33), or Dartford (32) go on a hot streak. Then there's the "fighting for the last playoff spot" group in the form of Chelmsford (27, they have the last spot), Basingstoke (26), Dover (25), and Boreham Wood (24).

At the other end, Farnborough (13) should be thanking the powers that be that it isn't four people going down from the division, or they'd be joining Staines, H&R (both 10), and Thurrock (9) in going down to the feeders. :P The Block hasn't been quite the same since they ditched Godfrey, eh? To be fair, neither has he, really.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #189 on: December 22, 2011, 08:37:56 PM »
Update time! :santa_afro:

CHAMPIONSHIP

It's close to halfway point and Southampton (44) seem to have slipped up a little since November, but still hold onto top by a point over Wet Spam (43) and three over a resurgent Middlesbrough (41). Hull (39), Cardiff (38), and Leeds (35) hold down the remaining playoff spots, while Reading, Crystal Palace (both 33), Blackpool, and Brighton and Hove Albion (both 32) are within a win, and Leicester, Burnley, and Barnsley (all 30) should by no means be counted out. Birmingham (29) should also be watched, since their aforementioned scheduling issues have left them with two games in hand - should they manage to win both, they'll be right there in the thick of an already-tight playoff race.

At the nether end of the table, what the heck is wrong with Coventry (13)? Since I last posted, six or seven matches (depending on the club) have been played, and yet they have only managed one point in that timespan. ONE. STINKING. POINT. Compare that with Bristol City (21), who have clawed their way out of the red since the fact with eight points, while former co-cellar inhabitants Doncaster (at a still rather awful 19) have managed seven points in as many matches. Nottingham Forest (21) has slipped into the red by goal differential, and Millwall (23) is also struggling somewhat. Ipswich (26) might have to keep an eye over their shoulders if they lose their game in hand!

LEAGUE ONE

Charlton (48) still has a five-point advantage over second place, only that is now Sheffield Wednesday (43) with their cross-town rivals United (41) not far behind. Huddersfield (39) has slipped up somewhat over the last four matches, claiming just four points in that timespan (including their first two losses of the season, against Bournemouth and Charlton, which came back-to-back). They'll be looking to snap a three-game winless skid. That said, they are still very much in the playoff zone. MK Dons (also 39) recently had a 5-game winning streak snapped by Preston North End (30), who are in the running for the last playoff spot at the moment, only three back of Brentford (33) who only hold the spot on goal differential over Carlisle (also 33), by a point over Stevenage (32), by two over Notts County (31), and by three over the North End Scum. :P Also in the "within six" group are Colchester U (29), Bury (28), and Oldham Athletic (27).

It's still relatively close at the other end of the table, but Chesterfield (14) are starting to slip further than the rest of the red-zoners. One big catalyst in this was a recent win by Wycombe (17) over the same, so they're still second-from-bottom, but only two back of the survival threshhold. Walsall and Rochdale (both 18) are a single point behind Sc*nthorpe (19) who have had about the same luck over the past four matches as Chesterfield has - only one point. Now Yeovil (20) is another story entirely. In spite of an embarrassing 2-0 loss to Conference side Fleetwood Town in the FA Cup, they are nurturing a five-game unbeaten streak in the League, including back-to-back wins over Hartlepool and, surprisingly enough, Notts County, which has propelled them from the league cellar to the second team out of the red zone. They still have work to do to stay there, of course, but their current form is good. The only other club that really has to be careful is Exeter City (21).

LEAGUE TWO

Crawley (46) has emerged as a clear front-runner up to this point, although Southend and Cheltenham (both 42) are also looking strong at this point. Shrewsbury (40) could also make a move, while Swindon (37), Burton Albion (36), and Gillingham (35) hold the other three playoff spots. Oxford, Rotherham (both 33), Port Vale (32), Morecambe, Torquay (both 31), and Accrington Stanley (29) are all within two wins (the first three within one) of the playoffs.

At the other end, Plymouth (14) seems to have shaken its "worst team in the League" status from both a points perspective (now Coventry) and a bottom-of-League-Two perspective (now Dag & Red - also 14 but with one fewer goal scored). The two teams are only three back of Northampton (17), with Hereford (18) and Bradford (19) also really struggling. Barnet (20) has picked things up a little from when they were in the red, gleaning seven points over the last four matches, but they too have to watch themselves. Bristol Rovers (23) are also on the periphery of the group, being nine clear of Plymouth and Dag & Red.

CONFERENCE PREMIER

It's still a battle of goal differential at the top of the Conference, between Wrexham and Fleetwood (both 53 and neither wanting to give an inch!) where the former is +25 and the latter +21 in spite of having scored more goals. The playoff race is also still quite close, although Southport (47) seems to be pulling away somewhat. York (44) and Luton (42) are in possession of the other two playoff spots, but the latter only has it by goal differential over Kidderminster (also 42) with Gateshead and Cambridge United (both 40) within less than a win's worth of points. Forest Green, Mansfield (both 37) and Darlington (36) are longer shots, but still can't be ruled out this early.

At the other end, Bath (14) is still looking pathetic, but not as much so as they were earlier in the year, having picked up six points in their last five matches (including a shock win against Telford). Alfreton (18), Stockport (20), and Hayes & Yeading (21) are closer to safety, with the latter being just one back of Kettering and Newport (both 22) for safety. Telford (24) is also struggling somewhat, while Lincoln (26) is starting to put space between themselves and the red.

CONFERENCE NORTH

Nothing says "rocket up the butt" like barely escaping relegation the previous season. Hyde (55), although they have played more matches than anyone else in the league, are on such a good run of form right now in their league that it wouldn't really matter if they were even in matches with everyone else. Well, maybe except where Stalybridge Celtic (47) is concerned. The remaining playoff spot holders are Guiseley (41), Nuneaton (40), and Gainsborough Trinity (38), with the first team out being surging Halifax (36). Runs of poor form have seen Corby (32) drop from last spot-holder to six points out, and Altrincham (29) slip out of the "within six" group entirely, although they have only played 19 matches to most clubs' 20+, so this could change. I hope it doesn't though. :P

The other end is... interesting, to say the least. Two teams have really been on a slippery slope - that is, Blyth Spartans (12) and Eastwood (13), while Hinckley (18) has done a faceplant and replaced Bishop's Stortford (19) in the red. While Hinckley has a game in hand on the same, they also have two games in hand, and BSFC one game as well, on both Vauxhall Motors (also 19) and Workington (20). Stortford also has form going in their favour, having just come fresh off beating mid-table Gloucester (26).

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Are you joking? Look at Woking (53)! Ten points separate them from the playoff pack, led by Welling (43). Chelmsford (39), Dartford, and Sutton (38) hold the other three playoff spots. Dover (34) is first out of the playoffs, followed by Dorchester (32), Basingstoke, Weston-Super-Mare (both 31), and Eastleigh (30), but while it might seem a ways off, consider that Basingstoke also has a game in hand on Sutton and Dartford, two games in hand on Chelmsford and Dover, and FIVE on Dorchester. Yes, the scheduling is wack, and Dorchester has played more games than any other club in the league, while Basingstoke (jointly with Salisbury) has played fewer than any other club.

At the other end it's a little closer. Even last-place Thurrock (13) are only six out, but it's a slippery slope. Staines (14) aren't fairing much better, while Hampton & Richmond (17) are within a win of Bromley (19) with a game in hand. Maidenhead (21), having played two more matches than the three red-zoners and one more than Bromley, ought to keep their eyes peeled. Salisbury (22) on the other hand, has three in hand on Maidenhead, two in hand on Bromley, and one in hand on the red-zoners. They had better make the most of them. :P It should be mentioned, though, that Farnborough (23) has been on a delightful run of form of late, on a four-game unbeaten streak which has seen them take ten points from a possible twelve.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2012, 10:27:45 PM »
Update time! :up:

CHAMPIONSHIP

Neck and neck at the top still, with the Spammers (57) a point up on Southampton (56) with a game in hand. Six points separate the next eight teams:

1. Wet Spam - 57  :idiot2:
2. Southampton - 56
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
3. Cardiff - 53
4. Blackpool - 52
5. Birmingham - 51 (+20)
6. Reading - 51 (+11)
-------------------------
7. Hull City - 50 (+6)
8. Middlesbrough - 50 (+4)
9. Brighton & Hove - 49
10. Burnley - 47

Sometimes it's best to let the stats speak for themselves. :P It's going to be an exciting playoff race, and even Leeds (45) has an outside shot as well.

The other end, there seems to be a clear break between the potential survivors and the red-zoners, although to be fair Doncaster (24) is really lagging behind in their matches. If they were somehow to win the two games in hand they have on joint 20th-place Bristol and Millwall (31), they'd be within a point. Can't say the same for sad-sack Coventry (25) who have played the same 31 games those two have. Nottingham Forest (also 25) has a game in hand on them as well. Peterborough (34), Pompey (35), and Ipswich (37) seem to be pulling clear of the red-zoners, but Pompey are in some financial trouble as well - a 10-point penalty to them would make things a LOT more interesting down there!

LEAGUE ONE

Although schedule skewing could play into the latter part of the season, being how the games played by each club ranges from 27 (Oldham) to 31 (Sheffield Wednesday, Bournemouth, Exeter, and Wycombe), it's shaping up to be pretty interesting other than the fact Charlton (67) is still kicking everyone's ass. Sheffield United (59) has mounted a run of good form, taking over second from cross-town rivals Wednesday (57) and still having two games in hand. Huddersfield (55) has overtaken MK Dons (49) but are on a three-game winless streak, but MK Dons has kinda of messed things up of late, having won just one of their last seven. They are currently on a five-game winless skid. The next section of the table looks VERY different from the last time I updated. Stevenage (48) has crept into the last playoff spot, with Carlisle (46) keeping pace somewhat and Bournemouth (44) taking advantage of having played more games to stay in the pack, although Stevenage, to their advantage, has only played 28 matches thus far to Carlisle's 29 and Bournemouth's 31. Now what of the "within six" group from last update? Skewed scheduling and poor form victimised the remainder of those:

- Notts County (40) continued on a winless streak but have finally popped out of it with back to back wins TO GET THEM TO 40 :P

- Brentford (40) has won only one of their last 9 (1W 6D 3L) and that was against red-zoner Wycombe. Also of note is that they have also lost two of their last three.

- Colchester United (39) fell victim to postponed matches - they've only played 28 - but to their credit, their record in 2012 has been 2W 1D 2L, so I've seen worse. :P

- Preston North End (also 39) has had mediocre form in 2012 (2W 2D 2L) but as with Colcs, I've seen worse.

- Bury (ALSO 39) has effectively had the same luck as the North End Scum :P That said, they're on a three-game winless skid.

- Oldham (35) really got hit hard by the rough winter, having played just four league matches, plus they got bollocked by Liverpool in the FA Cup and ousted from the Carling Cup by Chesterfield. Still, being how they have two games in hand on a lot of the teams ahead of them, they could still make a run up the table. Who knows?

Sked skewing may also affect the lower part of the table, where there are seven teams with the danger area (matches played in parentheses):

(30) 18. Yeovil - 30 (-14)
(31) 19. Exeter - 30 (-18)
(28) 20. Sc*nthorpe - 28
-------------------------------------------
(31) 21. Wycombe - 26
(29) 22. Walsall - 25
(30) 23. Chesterfield - 24 (-17)
(29) 24. Rochdale - 24 (-23)

At least Rochdale is struggling, so my buddy Kier will be happy. :P  One could make an argument that Tranmere (33) is also in some immediate danger, but I wouldn't make that argument about Oldham unless they go on a mad losing streak. ;)

LEAGUE TWO

Now THIS is what football should look like! A neck-and-neck race with many teams within a small number of points. Seriously - the top six are squeezed into a two-point logjam!

1. Southend U - 56 (+19)
2. Cheltenham - 56 (+16)
3. Torquay - 56 (+15)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
4. Swindon - 55 (+27)
5. Crawley - 55 (+17)
6. Shrewsbury - 54

Of particular mention are Torquay and Swindon. Although Torquay have played two more than Swindon, they're also on the better run of form, having won seven in a row to Swindon's six. Add this to the fact that Torquay have only dropped two points of the last potential 27 and Swindon have only dropped five in that same span, and you have two teams that are red-hot and could potentially end up brawling it out for League Two-winning glory. The other four teams in the small squeeze have largely varied in form, ranging from solid (after starting 2012 on the wrong foot, Shrewsbury has won four of its last five) to rather pathetic (Crawley has only won once in 2012). To be honest, only the Shrews have really had decent form aside from the scorching-hot form of Torquay and Swindon within the top six, with none of the others managing above a .500 in either points or wins.

And then, way off in the 8-point distance, is Oxford United (46), clinging to the last playoff spot for dear life. :P Well, maybe I was overdramatising. There is more distance between then and the first teams on the outside looking in (Rotherham and Accrington Stanley, both 43) than there is between first place and sixth place. But still, that cushion could vanish in one gameday's worth of matches.

So what of the playoff-holders that dropped out from last time? Neither Burton (42) nor Gillingham (41) is particularly far off, but Gillingham has lost four in a row and Burton has yet to win in 2012 (2D 4L). Still, they're in the playoff hunt, along with Port Vale (also 42) and red-hot Crewe (who are 4-0-2 in 2012, also 42). Morecambe (39) is a bit of a dark horse at this point, but who knows?

At the other end we have a 3-way points jam between red-zoners Northampton and Dag & Red and "worst survivor" Plymouth. There are a few other teams in danger though - Hereford (27), Bradford (28), and especially rapidly-plummeting Macclesfield (30) who have literally not gleaned a single point in 2012, losing six in a row after ending 2011 with a win over Port Vale. The reverse could be said of Barnet (33), though - they have gone from being three clear of the "worst survivor" to nine clear, due to a beastly run of form for a team of their stature, having just had a 4-game winning streak snapped with a scoreless draw against Plymouth - they haven't lost yet in 2012.

CONFERENCE PREMIER

We have an honest-to-God dogfight at the top of the table, between Fleetwood (70) and Wrexham (68). Both have very similar form, although Fleetwood still have an unbeaten streak intact, and Wrexham has a game in hand on their only superior in the table. Luton is a somewhat distant third (59 and one more game played), while the other playoff spots are all to play for at this point with Southport (55), York (54), Kidderminster (53), Grimsby, and Gateshead (both 51) being in more immediate range, and surging Mansfield and struggling Cambridge (both 49) also being within two wins.

At the other end, we have a fight on our hands. Now Bath (18) is very much screwed anyway :P But other than them, the lower part of the table looks like it will make for some great football between the sides in it:

16. Lincoln - 31
17. Newport - 30
18. Stockport - 29
19. Darlington - 28 (with a -10 point penalty, -9)
20. Telford - 28 (-16)
---------------------------------------------------------------
21. Kettering - 28 (-36)
22. Alfreton - 25
23. Hayes & Yeading - 24
24. Bath - 18 :lol:

It should be noted that Darlington is facing the additional challenge of potentially being wound up, which they almost were in January but for the desparate efforts of a group of fans, who brought in 70 000 quid to ensure that they could finish the season. Talks are still ongoing with several potential buyers. Lemme put it another way - if I won the Lotto Max when it was maxed out at CAD 50M (roughly 31.75M British Pounds at today's exchange rate), I'd buy the damn team myself, or at least fork over the three-quarter-million quid needed to pay off the former chair's creditors. I'm sick and tired of seeing football teams folding. :tickedoff:

CONFERENCE NORTH

Although Hyde (61) has the lead presently, Halifax (52) has two games in hand on them, and Guiseley (49) has four, so this could get really close, really fast! Stalybridge Celtic (also 49) is also looking sharp, and Gainsborough (48) and Nuneaton (47) are dogfighting over the last playoff spot. Sure, Colwyn Bay (44) is in range in the points, but they've also played two more games! Altrincham (42) is starting to slip, which more than makes my day. :P Not as much as Worcester (40) is though - now that club hasn't won in 2012.

Other end - it seems like both Blyth Spartans and Eastwood (both 15 :2funny: ) have given up and scuttled off back home with their tails between their legs. Vauxhall Motors (27) has slipped back into the red, and what's worse, the two teams immediately ahead of them outside the red, Hinckley and Bishop's Stortford (both 29) have a game in hand on them! The next four teams up, Harrogate, Workington (both 32), Histon, and Solihull (both 33) aren't out of immediate danger per se, but they're starting to improve somewhat.

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Woking (65) is still up top, but are starting to show signs of weakness, having lost two of their three losses this season in the last five matches - against mid-table Salisbury (33) and red-zoner Staines (24) :P The team to really watch at this point is second-place Dartford (54) who have won five in a row (haven't dropped points in 2012) and have two games in hand on Woking, so they could close that seemingly impassable chasm between them and Woking in a short period of time. Welling (51), Chelmsford (49), and Sutton (48) hold the other playoff spots, with the first team out being surprisingly distant (Weston, 43) and the only other team within six (Dorchester, 42) having played two more matches than the four teams ahead of them and three more than Dartford. Dover (41) and Basingstoke (39) have played the same number of matches as Dartford, so they could also move up to challenge, although I'd consider them dark horses at this point.

At the other end, Thurrock (17) haven't won since mid-November and show no signs of coming close to the point where they can do so. Especially after the 6-0 ransacking they got handed by Dartford in their last January match. They look predestined to go under. I'm a Calvinist to a point, couldn't you tell? :ohyeah:

That said, a cocked-up schedule might prove to come back and bite those who have played more matches down there in the B-O-T-T-Y. I would cut the "immediate danger area" off at Maidenhead (32) as opposed to Boreham Wood (also 32) because Boreham Wood has played two fewer matches (or the same number as Dartford has). However, to be fair to Maidenhead, they've had pretty good form early on in 2012 considering where they are in the table - 2W 1D 1L. I can't, however, say the same for 28-game Bromley (26), the first team out of the red, who only recently won their first match since friggin' OCTOBER! If anyone could be caught by the red-zoners, it's definitely them. I think they're gonna go down. Not to say Eastbourne (27) is doing much better. Their winless skid is still intact at eight, they have a 4-game losing streak going, and they've been outscored by an aggregate scoreline of 11-2 over the last three matches. Duh, LOSING. Farnborough (29) on the other hand is showing signs of improvement. They've won two of their last three and three of their last seven - for them, this is an improvement for sure :P - and one of said wins was a 4-0 Malcolm Tuckering of Boreham Wood.  :ohyeah:

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #191 on: March 09, 2012, 06:33:23 AM »
Time for another update.

CHAMPIONSHIP

Still close up top, although three teams - Southampton (66), West Ham (65), and Reading (63) have emerged as the main auto-promo favourites. One can't rule Middlesbrough (59) out just yet, though - they've won four of their last five to keep some pace up top. Three points separate fifth from ninth, so the playoff race should be exciting to the last:

5. Blackpool - 56
6. Birmingham - 55 (+21)
--------------------------
7. Brighton & Hove - 55 (+6)
8. Cardiff - 54
9. Hull - 53

Leeds (50) is still more of an outside shot but they are still very much in the playoff race. One thing to also keep in mind is that Hull has at least a game in hand on every team ahead of them except Birmingham.

At the other end, Pompey (26) are in dire straits because of another financially irresponsible idiot in their front office. Some don't think they will even survive the season. :tickedoff: Their loss is the gain of Nottingham Forest (32) who would be in the red zone had Pompey not gotten ten points knocked off for administration, and will go back there should Pompey somehow get out of the mess they're in. Coventry and Doncaster (both 29) are still in the red. Bristol City (34) and to a lesser extent Millwall (37) and Peterborough (38) need to keep their eyes over their shoulders.

LEAGUE ONE

Charlton (78) appear to all but have this one in the bag, but they can't afford too many slipups like the recent one they had against mid-table Colchester United (47) who bolstered their chances of playoff play by beating them 2-0. The Sheffield teams still go 2-3 in the table, with United (65) still having a point and a game up on Wednesday (64) in spite of the fact the latter beat the former in the most recent installation of the Sheffield Derby. Sitting right on their tails, though, is Huddersfield (63) with their league-leading goalscorer, Jordan Rhodes, who is sitting on an even thirty - almost a goal per match! MK Dons (59) could just as easily have gotten into the race but have taken just one point from a possible six over the last couple matches.

Football's oldest professional club, Notts County (53), hold the final playoff spot by a point over Carlisle (52), three over Stevenage (50), and six over Brentford and Colcs (both 47).

At the other end, Rochdale (30) is still rock bottom (UCWUTIDIDTHUR?) but only by a point, behind Chesterfield (31), and they are only five points from safety. Matter of fact, the bottom is still quite tight. Let's compare today's standings to the last update:

Last update:

(30) 18. Yeovil - 30 (-14)
(31) 19. Exeter - 30 (-18)
(28) 20. Sc*nthorpe - 28
-------------------------------------------
(31) 21. Wycombe - 26
(29) 22. Walsall - 25
(30) 23. Chesterfield - 24 (-17)
(29) 24. Rochdale - 24 (-23)

Today:

17. Yeovil - 39 (+9)
18. Sc*nthorpe - 38 (+10)
19. Walsall - 36 (+11)
20. Tranmere - 35 (+2)
------------------------------------------------------
21. Exeter - 34 (+4)
22. Wycombe - 32 (+6)
23. Chesterfield - 31 (+7)
24. Rochdale - 30 (+6)

One must admit, Tranmere did derp pretty hard. ;) (Exeter weren't exactly great either :P) Oldham (42) still has matches in hand, and with slips in form by both Bury and the North-Enders (both 41) they could knock themselves out of any danger with a decent-enough run of form. Leyton Orient (40) is in a bit of danger but also has matches in hand - most notably, they have two on all four red-zoners.

LEAGUE TWO

And just like that, Swindon (70) have roared into a six-point lead. Even though I don't like their manager in the slightest (because he's an insensitive muppet who throws fascist salutes in spite of their racist connotations), I will say I am impressed by the players! The race for second is still incredibly tight - Crawley (57) has slipped behind a little, but only due to wack scheduling, and if they make up the difference with two wins, they'll be right back in the midst of the other four clubs that were having at it last time, that is, Cheltenham (64), Southend (63), Shrewsbury (62, +17), and Torquay (62, +11).

However, if Crawley continues on their current form - that is, winning one of their last nine, and being winless in five, gleaning just two points from a possible fifteen in that stretch - then their playoff spot could be in jeopardy, with Oxford (55) being on an eight-game unbeaten streak (3W 5D), and still barely fending off hard-charging Gillingham (54), who themselves are on a five game unbeaten streak and four game winning streak. Speaking of eight-game unbeaten streaks, what about Port Vale (53)? They've won five and drawn three. Crewe (49) is a bit more of a dark horse, having won just one of their last six but going five without losing (4-game draw streaks will do that to ya :P).

The bottom end of the table is painfully close. Northampton and Dag & Red (both 31) occupy the red zone at the moment, but only by a single point, where Hereford and Plymouth (both 32) sit. Then just up from them are Macclesfield and Barnet (both 34) - Macclesfield still haven't won since New Year's Eve and only once since October, but they finally have their first points of 2012 having four draws in a row, while Barnet have dropped six of their last eight and the other two were draws.

Further complicating the situation is Northampton's superior form (they've actually won three of their last five, gleaning ten of a possible 15 points in the process) and at least one game in hand on every team with under 40 points except Bradford (36).

CONFERENCE PREMIER

Fleetwood (85) is starting to really pull away up top, even though their lead is only five points. Their form has been impeccable, as they are nurturing a 5-game win streak, have only dropped two points of a possible 33 in their last 11 matches, and haven't lost since October 11. Wrexham (80) slipped up a little recently, losing 1-0 to Stockport, which is a bit embarrassing since Stockport is currently 16th! But other than that they have been continuing winning and are looking like, if still not title contenders, then at least the heads-on favourite to win the playoffs and go up anyway.

A worse slip-up was that of Luton (65), who while still third, have seen their cushion decrease to four points thanks to losing two of their last three - the first of which was their first loss in over three months. This has allowed York (61, +31) and Mansfield (61, +18) to really push them. Now York's form has been fairly good in 2012 (5W 5D 1L) but not mind-blowing. Mansfield, on the other hand (7W 2D 1L) has been slightly scary, barring a hiccup against lower-table Newport County (34).

Southport (59), Kidderminster, Gateshead (57), Grimsby, and Barrow (55) are also within striking distance of spots, but none of them have quite the same consistency as Mansfield has been enjoying of late.

At the other end, things aren't quite as close as they were last update, when three points separated 16th from the red zone starting at 21st:

16. Lincoln - 31
17. Newport - 30
18. Stockport - 29
19. Darlington - 28 (with a -10 point penalty, -9)
20. Telford - 28 (-16)
---------------------------------------------------------------
21. Kettering - 28 (-36)
22. Alfreton - 25
23. Hayes & Yeading - 24
24. Bath - 18

Now, four points separates Darlington (28), who have not gained a single point since the last update, from safety, and by association, Alfreton (32), who didn't require much of a surge in form to go clear given the piss-poor play of the teams currently in the red. It didn't help Kettering (25) that they got dinged three points for failing to pay creditors. Bath (21) I figure has just thrown in the towel. But those just out of the red need not get cocky. 4 points can be made up in no time flat. Telford, Lincoln (both 33), Newport (34) and Stockport (35) are still very much in danger, although bursts of surprise wins from the latter two have padded their comfort zone somewhat. Stockport need to be particularly careful considering they have a league-low 9 matches left to play.

CONFERENCE NORTH

So much for it getting close. Hyde (70) has a 10-point lead on Nuneaton (60, they themselves have had excellent form of late, recently having a five-game win streak snapped by Guiseley in the form of a draw) and although Guiseley (56) has three games in hand, their form has been insufficient to keep pace with Hyde, losing two points in terms of pace (they were 12 behind last update with four games in hand, now they're 14 behind with only three games in hand). Still, they aren't out of the hunt just yet. Halifax (also 56), on the other hand, blew their opportunity to pull in closer.

Stalybridge (54) is sitting in the last spot, two ahead of Altrincham and Gainsborough (52) but with a game in hand on the former. I do hope both teams win their game in hand on Altrincham. :P Colwyn Bay (48) still hangs onto their outside shot in spite of not having the greatest form of late.

In the nether regions, only eight points separate 12th-place Gloucester (39) from the highest red-zoners, that is, Vauxhall Motors (31), who themselves have nine points on Blyth Spartans (22) even after the Spartans won two in a row! It says something when you double your season win total in the last two friggin' matches! Eastwood (20) is in the basement. Vauxhall's main target is Hinckley (33), but there are a whole pile of other teams who ought to be watching their six - Gloucester, Harrogate, and to a lesser extent Droylsden (39 - Droylsden has two games in hand on the other two), Solihull, Workington (both 38), Histon (37) and especially Bishop's Stortford (36) need to be cautious. However, Stortford, as well as Hinckley, have two games in hand on Vauxhall.

CONFERENCE SOUTH

And Woking (69) has had their lead evanesce to a mere six points over Dartford (63), who just so happen to also have a game in hand. Welling (also 63) have also pulled up to challenge in the points, but Woking has a game on them (you do the math as to how many Dartford has on them :P)! Sutton (60) has a five-game win streak going at the moment, while Chelmsford (58) has eight points on 6th-place Dover (50), but Dover has two games in hand and Chelmsford's form is starting to slip. Although their stock is rising somewhat, Basingstoke and Dorchester (both 45) aren't looking quite good enough to raise themselves to meet Chelmsford. The same can be said of slipping Eastleigh (also 45).

Remember how I said Farnborough (44) was improving? We had barely even seen the beginning of the run of good form to come. Seriously, they've only not won once in their last eight matches, and that was a 1-0 decision against Welling. Duh, WINNING. Their current six-game win streak started with a 1-0 win over Basingstoke. For an extreme opposite, look no further than Weston-super-Mare (43). What is the best way to completely negate a 4-game win streak? By following it up with a seven-game LOSING STREAK! DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP! :lol:

At the nether end of the table, Thurrock (18) looks to have taken their football and gone home. They've only managed one point since my last update and are thirteen points out of safety, having played two more games than the first team out of the read. H&R (24) aren't looking much better, but they at least have a game in hand on Eastbourne (31) and three in hand on their two fellow red-zoners, with the other one being Staines (also 31). Bromley and Havant & Waterlooville (both 33) really need to watch their six. Maidenhead, Truro, and Salisbury (36), not so much.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2012, 12:19:08 AM »
Man I left this late. :P Ah well, school takes precedence anyway.

CHAMPIONSHIP

5 matches left, and the races are starting to heat up! Reading (79) has risen to meet Southampton (79) at the top of the table, while Wet Spam (75) have slipped up to drop out of auto-promo spot. They aren't out of the running but they need to smarten up. (Although I hope they don't  :lol: )

The team that really needs to smarten up, though, is Middlesbrough (63) - last update they were challenging for top. Now they aren't even in a playoff spot! To be fair though, they sit just one point out in a close playoff battle. They do have to snap a seven-game winless streak to get there, though. :P

Birmingham (69), Blackpool (66), and Cardiff (64) currently hold the playoff spots, although the latter two could lose it in an instant and Birmingham is by no means out of danger. Middlesbrough and Brighton & Hove Albion (also 63) are the biggest threats, Leicester (59) and Hull (58) are within two wins, and Leeds, Derby, Watford (all 57), Burnley, Ipswich (both 56), and even Crystal Palace (54) are all still mathematically within a shot. Palace in particular is in a unique position, though - they're the only team left that both has a chance of the playoffs AND can still be caught by the highest red-zone club. A point for Palace should fix the latter, though. :P

At the other end, it looks like it's going to be close right at the end. While Doncaster (32) appears all but screwed, they still have some hope mathematically speaking, but it is fading fast. Portsmouth (34) may not survive the season anyway, but they're within two wins of safety. It's really Coventry (39) that one should be watching closely since they are but one point behind Bristol City (40) and four behind Nottingham Forest (43), being on a seven-game unbeaten streak (2W 5D). Millwall (44) is also not even two wins out of the red, and Barnsley (46) has only taken 4 points from the last possible 30, so they could slip yet. Peterborough (48), on the other hand, is starting to pull away a bit.

LEAGUE ONE

It seems the upper part of the table has gotten close. Charlton (88) still holds a six-point advantage over Sheffield United (82), but that's less than half of what they had last update! They were beaten by Huddersfield (74), who then decided to lose two of their last three - the loss against Sheffield Wednesday (80) was no real surprise, but Carlisle? (65) Not good for them. Good for Carlisle, though - they hold the last playoff spot with a game in hand on everyone in the league save Stevenage (59), they're trying to catch MK Dons (68), and they have emerging Notts County (63) and red-hot Brentford (62 - five-game win streak going) right on their heels. While Colchester (54), Tranmere, Hartlepool (both 51), and marginally, Bournemouth and Yeovil (both 50) have a shot at the playoffs, I don't expect them to do much. Good for Yeovil for putting a serious dent in their chances of getting relegated, though.

Currently, the magic number of points to get out of danger is a surprisingly high 57, which is 15 clear of Wycombe (42) - right now, the Wanderers seem to be the only red-zoners that are even trying, with Rochdale, Exeter (both 35) and Chesterfield (33) slipping fast. Actually, another loss and Chesterfield's officially condemned to relegation. A combination of a win by Walsall, Bury, and Leyton Orient (all 46) and a loss by Rochdale and Exeter will do likewise to those two. It is Wycombe that everyone needs to keep their eyes on:

Preston North End - 48 (-14, 49 GF)
Oldham Athletic - 48 (-14, 45 GF)
Walsall - 46 (-3)
Bury - 46 (-22, 51 GF)
Leyton Orient - 46 (-22, 42 GF)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Wycombe - 42

Still in marginal danger are Colchester (if Wycombe loses their next match that'll be the end of that), Tranmere, Hartlepool (see above), Bournemouth, Yeovil (ditto), and Sc*nthorpe (49).

LEAGUE TWO

This current setup is actually what I was expecting earlier in the season. Swindon (83) and Torquay (78) sit 1-2, but by no means is this set in stone, with Shrewsbury (75) and Crawley (73) having a game in hand on Torquay. Southend (70) and Cheltenham (68) are a bit harder pressed to catch the chart-toppers since they don't have said game in hand, and along with Oxford (65) they have their own worries to think about anyway - Crewe (63), Gillingham (62) and Aldershot (57 but with a game in hand) are the biggest threats to the current playoff holders, while Rotherham (59) also has a decent shot. Morecambe (54) and Accrington Stanley (53) are dark horses at this point. Bristol Rovers (51) are pretty much eliminated from playoff contention, and Port Vale (49) will only be back in contention if they get out of administration.

Remember last month, when Northampton and Dag & Red were in the red (no pun intended)? Not now, they aren't. :P That "honour" now belongs to Macclesfield and Hereford (both 36). Northampton (45) has only lost once in its last nine matches and has won four of seven (4W 2D 1L) since my last update, blasting the club nine clear of the red - and they still have a game in hand on top of it all! The Daggers (42) are in a little more immediate danger, but they have done well for themselves to go six clear, winning three of their last five (3W 2D 0L). Plymouth Argyle (41) are on a similar run of form, except they've only won twice in their five-game unbeaten streak as opposed to Dag's three wins. If there's one team that should be shaking in their boots right now, it's Barnet (39). Bradford City (43) are also in somewhat immediate danger, but that is fading fast.

CONFERENCE PREMIER

Looks like Fleetwood (101) are starting to run away with this sucker. While Wrexham (90) can still catch them, Fleetwood only needs four more points, or a combination of a point and a Wrexham loss, to lock the title up. This means Wrexham should probably start prepping for the playoffs, which they are already a lock for, being 20 clear of the three-way points logjam occupying the last two playoff spots and the first position out of the playoffs:

1. Fleetwood - 101
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2. Wrexham - 90
3. Mansfield - 77
4. York - 70 (+31)
5. Kidderminster - 70 (+17)
----------------------------------------------
6. Southport - 70 (+2)
7. Luton - 67 (+28)
8. Gateshead - 67 (+7)
9. Grimsby - 65
10. Forest Green - 64

In the above table it should also be noted that Luton has two games in hand on Southport and Kidderminster (not to mention Grimsby and Forest Green) and one on Gateshead.

Cambridge (61) and Braintree (60) are also outside shots. Barrow (55) is pretty much hooped - mathematically in by the narrowest of margins, and on a seven-match losing streak. :o

At the other end, Bath (27) is already doomed and the only hope for Kettering (29) is to get that three-point penalty repealed, which I doubt will happen. Darlington (31) are a little better off right now with a game in hand, but they look like they're gonna be wound up at season's end anyway :'( so it doesn't really matter. Which brings us to the only team that looks like it has a shot of surviving the dreaded red - Hayes & Yeading (38), who are four clear of Telford, Lincoln, and Newport (all 42) and six clear of Stockport (44). Tamworth (46) and Ebbsfleet (49) are in marginal danger.

CONFERENCE NORTH

Well, the schedule's been almost normalised (only Droylsden and Histon have a single game in hand), and Hyde (80) is still on top, but their lead has evaporated to just two points over Guiseley (78), who have both a six game win streak and an eight-game unbeaten streak (7W 1D) going, including a 1-0 win over Hyde! Nuneaton (70) is still in the same place relative to Hyde that they were last update - ten back - and they have red-hot Gainsborough (67, 4-game win streak, won five of their last seven) right behind them. Trinity leap-frogged both Halifax (64) and Stalybridge (65) into the playoff spot, but by no means is this set in stone.

Speaking of up-and-comers, where the heck did Worcester (63) come from? They were mid-table madness last update, looking like going nowhere, and now here they are challenging for a playoff spot, six points ahead of rapidly receding Altrincham (57) - HAHA! Suck it Failtrincham! :P Seriously, they've only won one of their last six, are on a two game losing streak, their next match is against white-hot Guiseley, and three of their last four are against teams that are ahead of them, the Guiseley match included. Someone needs to rescue league-leading goalscorer Damian Reeves from that cesspool. :P On another note, Boston United (53) are basically out - a point for Stalybridge or a win for either Halifax or Worcester will eliminate them.

Other end - the only three points Altrincham has in the bag are those they'll get against sad-sack Eastwood (20) who have only won once in all of 2012 (1W 4D 11L) - and it was, strangely enough, against Guiseley! They currently are riding a seven-game losing streak. Not only are they out, though - so too are Blyth Spartans (30). It seems both teams have basically given up on the season. Not the case with highest-red-zoner Histon (42) though. They are only two points out, with a game in hand. Moreover, if they win that game in hand, that means the points bar for guaranteed safety is 56 - one less than Altrincham has now, bugger it all anyway :tickedoff: - effectively meaning that half the friggin' table is still in danger of relegation, ranging from marginal danger (Boston would be 9 clear) to extreme danger (even now there are five teams within less than two wins of Histon). Here's a closer look:

11. Gloucester City - 49
12. Colwyn Bay - 48
13. Solihull - 47 (-6)
14. Hinckley - 47 (-9)
15. Corby - 46 (-3)
16. Bishop's Stortford - 46 (-14)
17. Harrogate - 46 (-15)
18. Workington - 44 (-8)
19. Vauxhall - 44 (-12, they would go under if Histon won their game in hand)
-----------------------------------------
20. Histon - 42

Close stuff, should make for some great football! :D

CONFERENCE SOUTH

So Woking (87) is still on top, now by seven over a Dartford side (80) that doesn't have a game in hand they did last time. Things are looking up! The stair-step descent of points means that 1. 3rd-place Welling (74) can't catch Woking for top 2. That 6th-placed Dover (61) can't catch Welling, so Welling has clinched their playoff spot. Sutton (68) is starting to pull away from Dover as well, but are riding a four-game winless streak. The real playoff battle should be between Chelmsford (63), Dover, and Basingstoke (58), who only just lost a four-game win streak/five-game unbeaten streak by losing to first-place Woking. Dover is also not on form right now, having just come out of a 3-game losing streak in which they failed to score a single goal, by beating Tonbridge 3-2. To make matters even more complicated for Dover, Basingstoke has a game in hand! And it's against last-place Thurrock!

This is not to discount Dorchester (55), Boreham Wood (54), and Tonbridge Angels (53), all of whom have an outside shot at getting in to the playoffs.

At the other end, Thurrock (25) is boned, but otherwise it is quite close. Weston-super-Mare (48) finally shook the losing streak with a four-points-in-two-games stretch back in mid-March, but went on another losing streak which only ended last match with a draw against Salisbury. In short, they're still in some danger, but the danger is marginal, so they, and Eastleigh (49), will be left off the following table:

13. *Salisbury - 45 (-4)
14. Farnborough - 45 (-23)
15. Truro - 43
16. Eastbourne - 42
17. Bromley - 40
18. *Hampton & Richmond - 39 (-11)
19. Maidenhead - 39 (-24)
-----------------------------------
20. *Havant & Waterlooville - 38 (-10)
21. Staines - 37

* - has game in hand

Maidenhead is really in a pickle at the moment. I've included goal differential to show that, even if H&W get a draw in their game in hand, into the red goes Maidenhead. A win, of course, is preferable and would leap-frog them into 17th. The most exciting football is going to be in amongst the lower table clubs, for obvious reasons. ;)

FEEDERS UPDATE

Northern Premier - Chester (90) is a single point (or a Northwich Victoria loss or draw) from clinching first-place.

Southern Premier - Brackley (75) is tops, but theoretically any of the other playoff teams - Chesham (69, +24), Oxford City (69, +23, game in hand), Totton (67), and Cambridge City (65) can still catch them.

Isthmian Premier - In theory, Lowestoft (70) and Bury Town (68) can catch Billericay (80) for first. In practice, it looks far more likely that Hornchurch (78) will.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #193 on: April 23, 2012, 06:04:03 PM »
Getting close to the end of the season.

CHAMPIONSHIP

One match to go for most sides.

Well, out of nowhere really, Reading (89) have officially clinched the Football League Championship. Southampton (85) only need a win or anything less than a win from the Spammers (80) in their last two (one of which is later today) to grab the other auto-qual spot.

West Ham and Blackpool (74) have clinched playoff spots, and Birmingham (73) can only be caught if Middlesbrough (70) wins by an astronomically improbable 24 goals, if Cardiff (72) wins, AND if they lose. So really, they've de facto clinched as well, and need only a point to do so de jure. It is Cardiff that needs to be careful. If they lose, Boro can pass them simply by winning. If they draw against Palace, things are a little easier for them as Boro would have to win that match by a whopping 10. More likely than them catching the Brummies, but still quite improbable.

At the other end, it's all said and done barring Portsmouth (40) somehow coming out of administration before the playoffs. Now if they do, then it gets interesting - it would put Barnsley (47) in the red by goal diff behind Nottingham Forest (ditto, but -17 to Barnsley's -25) and Bristol City (48) and Peterborough (49) would also be in danger. That said, I don't think it'll happen given Pompey's sad financial state.

LEAGUE ONE

Still interesting at both ends with two matches to go. Charlton (97), however, have set in stone their League One victory with a five-game win streak (they've also won six of their last seven), with the real exclamation point coming from outside their own power - Sheff U (88) lost against MK Dons, eliminating themselves from any chance of winning the League One title and making their battle for automatic promotion more of a struggle. This only adds to the intensity of the rivalry between the Blades and their cross-town rivals Wednesday (87). But both Sheffield clubs have at least a playoff spot, and I would favour the one that doesn't get auto-promo to win those over Milton Keynes, Huddersfield (both 77) and whoever gets the last playoff spot, which is still up in the air.

Stevenage (69) has the advantage in the late playoff race, over Notts County (67), Carlisle (66), and Brentford (64). Brentford are outside shots but are still mathematically capable of making the playoffs - they'd need to pull off a big upset to get past next week, though, since they're playing Sheff W. It's the other two Stevenage really needs to worry about. Of the three, the "easiest" schedule actually belongs to Carlisle as they are playing Exeter and Oldham - the other two have to play Sheffield clubs this coming week.

At the other end, only Rochdale (38) are out for sure. Wycombe (43), Chesterfield (42), and Exeter (41) are still capable of catching Walsall (46), although anything other than a win against Carlisle will mean curtains for Exeter, and Chesterfield have to win against Yeovil (51) to stay afloat. In spite of them being close, though, Wycombe faces an uphill battle, as they play both playoff hopefuls Notts County and high-flying Sheff W in their closers.

LEAGUE TWO

Two matches left here as well. Swindon (89) should have clinched top by now but two straight losses have let Shrewsbury (85) back into the title race. Torquay (80) have slipped up a little, riding a three game winless streak, to let Crawley (81) and Shrewsbury ahead of them, but the race for the other two auto-promo spots is by no means over, especially not the third one, held by Crawley. Southend U (77) also have a shot at this spot, but they have to win both of their remaining matches. The first of these, against Oxford (68) should be the hardest, as their second opponents are in the red.

Speaking of Oxford, they are the first team on the outside looking in, only two back of the final playoff holders, Crewe (70), and only three back of Cheltenham (71). Gillingham (66), Rotherham (65), and Aldershot (64) are still mathematically capable of catching Crewe, but only just. If Crewe gleans even one point, that's it for both Rotherham and Aldershot, whether they win or not.

At the other end, Hereford (38) and Macclesfield (37) are still in the red, with Barnet (40) lingering just outside. But Plymouth (45), who at one point were in the red, are now incapable of being relegated. Even if Hereford and Barnet both won both remaining matches, Hereford can only max out at 44 points at this point. Northampton (46) and Dag & Red (47) are also clear, having been in the red earlier in the season.

CONFERENCE PREMIER

Most teams have one match left, with the exceptions all having matches on Tuesday - Gateshead plays Luton and Wrexham plays Newport.

Fleetwood (102) is officially League-bound, being a whopping 11 points ahead of Wrexham (92). Both have slipped in form lately, though, with identical 2D 1L three-match winless streaks. If locking up second mattered, Wrexham would have it in the bag over hard-charging Mansfield (86). But Mansfield's form could equate to playoff success. Who knows?

Kidderminster (76) will be hoping that Luton (77) doesn't win against Gateshead (70), because a win by Luton will set the playoff positions in stone. York (80) has already clinched their spot. If Luton wins, the only thing the last match will determine is who faces whom - fourth place will play third-place Mansfield, while fifth will play second-place Wrexham.

The red zone is set in stone, with Hayes & Yeading (41) being five behind Telford (46) in spite of a last-gasp win. Darlington (33), Bath (31), and Kettering (30) will be joining them. That is, if Darlington doesn't fold altogether. :tickedoff:

CONFERENCE NORTH

With one match left, Hyde (89) has hung on to clinch the Conference North title, while Guiseley (84) has clinched second place. It's going to be a wild finish, though, between the other three playoff holders and 6th-place Stalybridge (68). Any of the four clubs in that range - Halifax, Gainsborough (both 71), Nuneaton (69), and Stalybridge can finish on the outside looking in. Which, much to my delight, Altrincham did (61) :2funny:

But that pales in comparison to the wild ride we're in for at the other end. In theory, Hinckley (48), who is in 20th now, could still finish as high as mid-table. Here's why:

13. Corby - 50, -1
14. Histon, - 50, -5
15. Vauxhall - 50, -12
16. Colwyn Bay - 50, -17
17. Workington - 49, -6
18. Solihull - 49, -9
19. Harrogate - 49, -15
--------------------------------
20. Hinckley - 48, -13

Now we already knew that Blyth Spartans (34) and Eastwood (20) were doomed, so forget about them. :P Hinckley will be in tough, though, since they're against playoff hopefuls Stalybridge. Should be interesting to see how this plays out though.

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Woking (94) are the champeens this year, while Dartford (87) and Welling (80) have clinched playoff spots. Sutton (71) has as well, but not by virtue of who the first team on the outside looking in is - Basingstoke (67) has a game in hand, which they play out tomorrow against sad-sack Hampton & Richmond (39) - I expect desparate football from both, since H&R are trying to stay afloat and Basingstoke is fighting for a playoff spot. If Basingstoke wins (and I think they will), they will have three points on Chelmsford (also 67), and both clubs play superior opposition in the last day, with Chelmsford playing the champions Woking and Basingstoke playing Welling. So I think the chances of Basingstoke making the playoffs are actually quite good.

At the other end, H&R (39) could catch Bromley (44) if they win both matches, but they play Basingstoke, so the best I see them doing is going outside the red. Their last match is against last-place Thurrock (26), though. Havant & Waterlooville (41) and Maidenhead (40) both have "more difficult" opposition, with the former playing on-form Staines (46, unbeaten in six, 4W 2D) and the latter playing mid-table Eastleigh (54, unbeaten in 3, 1W 2D). So H&R just squeaking into the clear isn't impossible by any means. Of course, if H&W wins, with this being the last match and all, the status quo is maintained and H&R and Maidenhead join Thurrock in going down to the feeders.

FEEDERS UPDATE

Northern Premier - all said and done. Chester FC has won the Northern Premier League with an even 100 points. Under normal circumstances, Northwich Victoria (83) would be in the playoffs, but due to non-compliance with financial rules, the club has had its membership terminated, which means the playoffs will instead look like this:

Chorley vs. FC United of Manchester
Bradford Park Avenue vs. Hednesford Town

Southern Premier - one match left for all but three clubs, of which one, Oxford City, is causing the other two to lag. This lag will be alleviated by Thursday, though, as OCFC plays twice - once today against Hemel Hempstead, and once on Wednesday against Frome. Brackley has clinched the Southern League as the most points Oxford can attain is 80, the most anyone else can attain is 76, and they presently have 82.

Playoffs are still very much to play for, and if Oxford somehow loses both matches, they will likely slip out of the playoffs on goal differential, to go behind Stourbridge:

2. Chesham - 73, +24
3. Totton - 71, +36
4. Cambridge City - 71, +26
5. Oxford City - 71, +23
----------------------------------------------
6. Stourbridge - 71, +22

Isthmian Premier - Billericay has clinched the Isthmian League title with 85 points as the most any other team can get is 82. Playoffs still all to play for, with five teams battling for the lower two spots. Hornchurch (79) and Lowestoft (76) have clinched playoff spots Will update again on Thursday.

I AM CANAYIDIAN!

Offline DC76

• CanaYIDian
« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2012, 09:15:25 AM »
Mini-update:

CHAMPIONSHIP

As I expected, Wet Spam won their outing against Leicester, bringing them to 83 points, so they are still within reach of automatic promotion. That said, Southampton (85) has their last match against second-from-bottom-and-already-ousted Coventry (40), and the Spammers theirs against a more difficult Hull (68). Again, Middlesbrough (70) have to win and hope Cardiff (72) loses against Crystal Palace (56) - if Cardiff draws, they could theoretically still get in by winning by eleven against Watford. :P

CONFERENCE PREMIER

Well, Kidderminster (76) still has a thread of hope left after Luton (78) failed to score against Gateshead. But they have the daunting task of having to beat on-fire Mansfield (86). But to make things a bit simpler, Luton has to play already-crowned Conference champs Fleetwood. So really, things could go any which way. Saturday's gonna be great! :up:

CONFERENCE SOUTH

Basingstoke (70) did themselves a huge favour and made good on their game in hand, beating H&R 2-0 to put themselves three clear of Chelmsford (67). But they need another point to secure their playoff position, or they need Chelmsford to lose to Woking. My bet's on the second being more likely, since the Dragons themselves are up against Welling (80), but who knows?

FEEDERS

ISTHMIAN - Wealdstone (72) winning 2-0 against Cray (65) pushed them into playoff position and eliminated both them and Canvey Island (68) from contention. All four sides still in playoff contention have "easy" matches - Bury (also 72), Lewes (70), and Hendon (69) have red-zoners, and Wealdstone has a team on a four-game losing streak.

SOUTHERN - Still five teams playing for four spots after Hemel Hempstead surprised Oxford City 2-0, but Oxford beat Frome 3-0. (If anyone cares, this also means Hemel Hempstead have a chance of not being relegated. :P) For Oxford to miss the playoffs, all four teams in contention behind them have to win (Chesham over Leamington, Totton over Bedford, Cambridge over Swindon Supermarine, and Stourbridge over recently-humiliated Frome) and Oxford has to lose against Hitchin. Even a draw would put them through. As for the other three teams, well, we'll have to wait and see what happens! ;)

I AM CANAYIDIAN!