SpursNetwork

Sunderland 3-1 Spurs

Offline edinyid

• yid4life
Re: Sunderland vs Spurs
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 05:30:48 PM »
After todays result and apparent lack lustre display, i really hope this is a major wake up call, and it turns out to be a massive blessing in disguise, given what we've still got to play for in the remaining weeks of the season. I personally still think we can beat the gooners, take a point off  chelski and Man C at worst, and win against Bolton and burnley, but we are going to need our injured players back i feel. Or am i being a bit over confident?.

Lets get the semi out the way and then hopefully the famous THFC will give us a last few weeks of pure joy!!

Offline Chelmsford_yid

• http://www.myspace.com/bennysufc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Sunderland 3-1 Spurs
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 05:52:23 PM »
Tottenham's Champions League ambitions were hit by former player Darren Bent who scored twice in an amazing contest.

Bent smashed home a rebound after just 34 seconds and added a penalty into the bottom corner for his 23rd goal of the season after Kyle Walker handled.

Incredibly Bent also saw two penalties saved by Spurs keeper Heurelho Gomes.

Anton Ferdinand had an effort ruled out, substitute Peter Crouch headed Spurs back in contention but Boudewijn Zenden's stunning volley sealed it.

Many Spurs followers believed the formidable forthcoming succession of matches against Chelsea, Ars*nal and Manchester United would decide their fate in their quest to break into the top four for the first time in the Premier League.

But this was always likely to be a tough trip for the Londoners, who had not won in their previous fours visits to the Stadium of Light, with Sunderland beaten only once in their last 15 home league matches.

It was perhaps inevitable that Bent, discarded by Spurs last summer, would be fired up for this one, but he managed to inspire his team-mates to greater heights as well in an electrifying start by the home side.

The absence of Jonathan Woodgate, Ledley King and Michael Dawson left a huge void in the Tottenham defence and there was certainly plenty of space as another former Spur Frazier Campbell swooped to meet Kieran Richardson's corner.

Gomes kept out the point blank header but it fell perfectly for Bent, who became Tottenham's record signing when he joined them for £16.5m from Charlton in June 2007.

The 26-year-old, who scored 25 goals in 79 games for the Lilywhites, 36 of which were as substitute, rammed home the close range rebound emphatically and took great delight in celebrating the fastest Premier League goal of the season in front of the travelling Spurs contingent.

With the visitors unable to find any foothold in the game, Jordan Henderson jinked through into the area and fell under challenge from Benoit Assou-Ekotto but the claims were waved away by referee Lee Mason.

But when a cross brushed Walker's arm midway through the half the referee did point to the spot for the first time, and Bent confidently beat Gomes to his right.

Sunderland were simply first to every loose ball, Lee Cattermole had no grievance against Spurs but he snapped at the heels of former Wigan team-mate Wilson Palacios throughout.

Campbell wriggled clear of the attentions of Sebastien Bassong and Assou-Ekotto and burst into the box, before being felled by an appalling forward's challenge from Luka Modric, who simply hung out a leg.

Bent opted to put the ball to the left of Gomes this time and the Brazilian leapt across goal magnificently to tip the ball away.

Not surprisingly, an incensed Harry Redknapp made two changes at half-time, Jermain Defoe and Niko Kranjcar brought on for Assou-Ekotto and Bentley.

Defoe was soon bursting through on goal but a rather tame effort was kept out by Gordon.

With Spurs beginning to look more threatening going forward, Gareth Bale's glancing header from a Modric corner was smartly tipped over by the Scottish keeper and Defoe flicked another effort inches wide.

Any momentum the visitors might have been building was halted by another rash challenge, this time by Palacios on David Meyler.

Bent, who missed a penalty on his return to White Hart Lane in November when Spurs beat Sunderland 2-0, struck his third spot-kick of the afternoon to the right of Gomes, but the Tottenham keeper tipped the ball on to the inside of the post and was relieved to grab the rebound.

Ferdinand looked to have sealed it when calmly side-footed a loose ball into the bottom corner after a cross from the third former Tottenham player in the Sunderland starting line-up, the influential Steed Malbranque, caused yet more problems.

However, referee Mason ruled that Campbell was holding down Gomes in the melee.

Crouch replaced the enigmatic, and on this occasion ineffective, Roman Pavlyuchenko, and the England striker scored with his first touch when he rose to meet Kranjcar's looping cross from the left.

But there were several chances for the home side to make the game safe, substitute Kenwyne Jones completely missing his kick in front of goal and Zenden seeing two efforts blocked.

It seemed as though Spurs might be reprieved and would make Sunderland pay for their profligacy, but the final key moment in this astonishing game came from Zenden, who acrobatically volleyed into the top corner following Henderson's looping cross.

The goal would have been cheered as loudly by Liverpool, Manchester City and Aston Villa followers as the race for the coveted fourth place took another twist.

http://spursnetwork.com/forums/index.php?board=40.0

I have no idea what a DDOS attack is but it sounds a bit like a girl with large breasts attacking us? Is there any video of the attack as i would like to watch that one day?

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »
After todays result and apparent lack lustre display, i really hope this is a major wake up call, and it turns out to be a massive blessing in disguise, given what we've still got to play for in the remaining weeks of the season. I personally still think we can beat the gooners, take a point off  chelski and Man C at worst, and win against Bolton and burnley, but we are going to need our injured players back i feel. Or am i being a bit over confident?.

Lets get the semi out the way and then hopefully the famous THFC will give us a last few weeks of pure joy!!

Hi and welcome to the site :)

I agree with you partly, but i think its going to be hard now to finish 4th. before i could only see us getting 14 points out of our last fixtures and that was with a win over Sunderland and i cant see Man City getting 17

Offline SomersetYiddo

• Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 10:31:11 AM »
Im not going to give a run down of my thoughts on the match and who played badly because i think its easy to say we were s**te all round. But after a great night out in newcastle the night before and a good spurs away trip with the lads why did we have to lose such an important game!? Having Bent score against us is pretty tough to take but when the prick scores twice and runs over celebrating in front of us is a right kick in the teeth, i was about 5 rows up from the front and wanted to through my phone at the pricks head. Thankfully Gomes saved twice from him from the spot so he didnt claim the hat trick. When he left the lane i had a bit of sympathy for him because he just wanted to play first team football but i hate it when players come back to bite you on the arse and score and celebrate in front of you, it doesnt happen that often with former players they usually have respect for our club. Not Bent.

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 05:05:57 PM »
Im not going to give a run down of my thoughts on the match and who played badly because i think its easy to say we were s**te all round. But after a great night out in newcastle the night before and a good spurs away trip with the lads why did we have to lose such an important game!? Having Bent score against us is pretty tough to take but when the prick scores twice and runs over celebrating in front of us is a right kick in the teeth, i was about 5 rows up from the front and wanted to through my phone at the pricks head. Thankfully Gomes saved twice from him from the spot so he didnt claim the hat trick. When he left the lane i had a bit of sympathy for him because he just wanted to play first team football but i hate it when players come back to bite you on the arse and score and celebrate in front of you, it doesnt happen that often with former players they usually have respect for our club. Not Bent.

That is why, i said Gomes showed why Bent sux and he isnt good enough for us! I can bet with Daws or even better King leading the back 4 he wouldnt even have score one goal!