Tottenham 1-5 Chelsea

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Tottenham v Chelsea
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 10:54:33 PM »
Sorry I can't agree with either of you here.
I don't want to get all philosophical but i just may have to. We live in a world where dishonesty ,cheating, lying and deception are seen as increasingly normal, accepted and even encouraged. As long as you don't get caught anything is OK. It reveals a serious lack of moral credibility. I need to support a team that strives to rise above that, that strives  to set a moral tone of fair play, honesty and endeavor.
For me 40 plus years of my life has been spent supporting a team that has produced role models and gentleman like Greaves, Blanchflower, Mabbutt, Mc Kay, Jones, Mullary, Perryman etc. etc.
As the sense of injustice about yesterday grows I do gain pride from the fact that we kept our dignity and played in the spirit of the game. I am proud of the way Spurs supporters conduct themselves.
And for some of us ,yes that is more important than winning at any cost.
I realise i may sound like a god botherer, I am not, nor am I prone to lecturing others about how they should live their lives. But I can not support a team who cheat and lie and behave in such a deplorable way and thankfully I don't, can fans from some other teams say the same thing.
When it comes down to it Cheating is cheating. Quite simple. Chelsea cheated.

If Chelski had lost whilst cheating then fine, but they cheated we didn't they won we lost.

I agree with you and your moral argument and I play several sports and wouldn't dream of cheating as I feel it devalues your achievements, but while Spurs are trying to play by the rules and be honest and reputable we are being shafted. I repeat in years to come no one will remember that Chelski cheated it will just be remembered that they won 5-1 and hammered us. How many times have we been robbed of results against Man Ure and the Woolwich Wanderers both teams that have regularly won competitions, both have a win at all costs mentality and managers that drive that Fergie with his hairdryer and Whinger with his "blindness".

I'm not saying that I want us to cheat and con the ref, what I'm saying is we are going to need to adopt the same kind of mentality as these teams if we ever hope win anything, it's not right but that's just the way it is !!!!

>:(
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 11:11:30 PM »
You know, mates, I don't like cheating but I'd really appreciate some luck for us. We seem to lack in it seriously and why our manager has shipped out half of our back-up players, I don't know. He really should have known better. Sometimes I feel we're the unluckiest club in EPL, although there are some other serious candidates as well. ManU, Chelsea nor Ars*nal among them...

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 07:54:15 AM »
Sorry I can't agree with either of you here.
I don't want to get all philosophical but i just may have to. We live in a world where dishonesty ,cheating, lying and deception are seen as increasingly normal, accepted and even encouraged. As long as you don't get caught anything is OK. It reveals a serious lack of moral credibility. I need to support a team that strives to rise above that, that strives  to set a moral tone of fair play, honesty and endeavor.
For me 40 plus years of my life has been spent supporting a team that has produced role models and gentleman like Greaves, Blanchflower, Mabbutt, Mc Kay, Jones, Mullary, Perryman etc. etc.
As the sense of injustice about yesterday grows I do gain pride from the fact that we kept our dignity and played in the spirit of the game. I am proud of the way Spurs supporters conduct themselves.
And for some of us ,yes that is more important than winning at any cost.
I realise i may sound like a god botherer, I am not, nor am I prone to lecturing others about how they should live their lives. But I can not support a team who cheat and lie and behave in such a deplorable way and thankfully I don't, can fans from some other teams say the same thing.
When it comes down to it Cheating is cheating. Quite simple. Chelsea cheated.

If we had the right players, we wouldn't need to cheat to win.

Offline pukekohespur

• Hero: Greaves
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 08:44:19 AM »
I must admit that I find this topic in general fascinating [The concept of whether good people win in the modern world]. As i believe that professional sports people  have a moral obligation to conduct themselves in a certain way [role models] means that I often see sports players as examples of how we are positioned as a society. As THFC is such an important part of my life merely heightens all of the above.'
If a team has to buy into the modern practice of 'winning at all costs' and 'the ends often justifies the means' then what are we saying about the state of football and indeed the state of a society that holds footballers in such high regard. And so what does that say about us as individuals if we are prepared to perpetrate this corrupt sporting competition through our support.
I may be naive but i do believe that football played fair by master athletes will triumph over cheats and mercenaries. So Like RSS I beleive that we are not just the victims of cheats and the obscenely rich but of our own inability to make our own luck.
If we were good enough then the idiot ref would not have been a significant issue, we would have played the best football, made our own luck and won 3-2. If we are good enough we will win beat QPR win the following 4 games and march back in to the Champions league. Wigan should inspire not only the players but all of us. If we are good enough we will make our own luck and then the domination of the Spurs supporters over the Chelsea mob [at least thats how it came across on the TV] will be matched by our domination on the field. Wegner can bleat. Bartotelli can stomp away. Refs can make moronic decisions to no avail all we need to is make our own destiny.
Idealistic ,yes, unachievable, possibly yes but a nice dream all the same.
"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is." Danny Blanchflower

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 11:41:07 AM »
I must admit that I find this topic in general fascinating [The concept of whether good people win in the modern world]. As i believe that professional sports people  have a moral obligation to conduct themselves in a certain way [role models] means that I often see sports players as examples of how we are positioned as a society. As THFC is such an important part of my life merely heightens all of the above.'
If a team has to buy into the modern practice of 'winning at all costs' and 'the ends often justifies the means' then what are we saying about the state of football and indeed the state of a society that holds footballers in such high regard. And so what does that say about us as individuals if we are prepared to perpetrate this corrupt sporting competition through our support.
I may be naive but i do believe that football played fair by master athletes will triumph over cheats and mercenaries. So Like RSS I beleive that we are not just the victims of cheats and the obscenely rich but of our own inability to make our own luck.
If we were good enough then the idiot ref would not have been a significant issue, we would have played the best football, made our own luck and won 3-2. If we are good enough we will win beat QPR win the following 4 games and march back in to the Champions league. Wigan should inspire not only the players but all of us. If we are good enough we will make our own luck and then the domination of the Spurs supporters over the Chelsea mob [at least thats how it came across on the TV] will be matched by our domination on the field. Wegner can bleat. Bartotelli can stomp away. Refs can make moronic decisions to no avail all we need to is make our own destiny.
Idealistic ,yes, unachievable, possibly yes but a nice dream all the same.

On Sunday we were good enough to create 2 good chances in 1st half, but not good enough to put the ball in the net. Thats one of the problems