SpursNetwork

Player Power

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Player Power
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 04:21:56 PM »
I wish the player power would work so that Dawson gets back in the team. His few outings have been rather promising.

Sorry Riff he's too slow and also switches off. A good squad member, no more. When we get Kaboul and BAE fit, Walker/Kaboul/Verthongen/BAE will be our best back 4 by far.

I agree, but until we get a fit back four then it might be worth giving him a go.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline baldbloke

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:00:41 PM »
Quite honestly any keeper would struggle behind our makeshift defence.  We have no left back, an over the hill CB and RB out of form. Coupled with the ever slower Huddlestone, who just stands and watches players go past him, is it all any wonder ? Lloris is in, and in to stay IMO.

bang on
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 08:09:20 PM »
Criticism where criticisms due. Is Huddlestone actually a tree? I am sure I could see roots sprouting on Saturday. Him and Dempsey are our worst players at the moment, cannot pass, cannot move and not much desire either.

I think Lloris was also pretty poor, but agree he needs time in the team.
Maybe next year...

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »
Lloris in against Lazio, now is this to give him more game time to help him settle quicker or will he be dropped this weekend?

Good to see Dembele on the bench, we cant afford to rush him back though.
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline dimexi

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »
Well played Lloris, no way he will be dropped for the next game now!
Maybe next year...

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 08:04:57 PM »
Hope not, we need stability at the back and i want to keep Lloris great assest and good signing.  I want him to believe his future is with THFC

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 07:57:11 AM »

I dont think so. AVB has made up his mind I think. No way back for Friedal, not his fault but Lloris is our future, and he needs to be no1 in his mind to perform his best.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 04:36:04 PM »

I agree he should play on Sunday, but I am not sure it is a done deal.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 12:52:22 AM »
I would like to see Dawson play in place of Gallas that would definitely strengthen the defence, what about this for a line-up: Lloris , Walker-Dawson-Caulker-Vertongen, Lennon-Sandro-Dembele-Carroll-Bale, Defoe . Whilst I am not in favour of playing this formation at home (4-5-1) with Ade out, this would allow Lennon/Dembele/Bale to support Defoe up front. AVB has to make a decision regarding the Keeper, he cannot keep alternating between the 2,(England tried it years ago with Shilton and Clemence, and it didn't work) and live with it even if it means losing one of them. I don't think Carroll deserves to be dropped and Dempsey does not work hard enough nor is he good enough. Thoughts please.

:up: :up:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 01:03:59 AM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 09:31:16 AM »
I will be very disappointed if AVB now drops Lloris, in this position we have to move on establish Lloris as no1 and start looking for a decent number 2 for next season, we wouldn't be doing badly if we convinced Gomes to stay for that role but i think he will be off.

Doesnt Gallas currently wear the captains armband, unless injured I cant see AVB dropping him or putting in Dawson.  Shame as i really believe Dawson is still the player that shone for us before his injury and only game time will see that form re-appear and I hope it happens with us not another team.

Again with Ade's suspension it highlights hugely our striker crisis, only Defoe to choose from, if he gets injured who next Gomes?

In short Paul, I like your formation and team selection, certainly the strongest we could field with the players available.  IMO Dempsey needs to sort his act out and at best sits on the bench if not the reserves until he realizes he is here to play football professionally and not a sunday afternoon kick about after beer and dinner.

Offline dimexi

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 09:38:08 AM »
I would like to see Dawson play in place of Gallas that would definitely strengthen the defence, what about this for a line-up: Lloris , Walker-Dawson-Caulker-Vertongen, Lennon-Sandro-Dembele-Carroll-Bale, Defoe . Whilst I am not in favour of playing this formation at home (4-5-1) with Ade out, this would allow Lennon/Dembele/Bale to support Defoe up front. AVB has to make a decision regarding the Keeper, he cannot keep alternating between the 2,(England tried it years ago with Shilton and Clemence, and it didn't work) and live with it even if it means losing one of them. I don't think Carroll deserves to be dropped and Dempsey does not work hard enough nor is he good enough. Thoughts please.

:up: :up:

Ok here goes...

If we are going to play 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1, then I see no problem with your line up. I agree with Carroll for Demsey and making Lloris the out and out number 1.

I guess the issue is not the formation. As playing this formation or 4-4-2 could equally work well. The real issues are to play a formation which suits the players you have coupled with the style and tactics that creates chances and is defensively solid.

4-2-3-1 gives protection for the back, whilst having a penetrating 3 pronged attack with Dembele linking the play from defence to attack. The play can move through the middle or down either flank but with Defoe up front the ball will mainly have to be played to feet. Bale and Lennon would cut inside to attack directly or pick Defoe or the late arriving Dembele to direct these passes at goal. We lose the option for crosses and headers and Bale and Lennon would not play to the byline and whip crosses in. To play with a small guy up top you need to play a little like Barca. Or the striker needs to be a complete one, is strong, who can hold up the ball to bring others into play, can head the ball well, has pace and takes the chances when they come. Drogba, Torres (in the old days) or Van persie are masters of this.

4-4-2 needs one defensive midfielder who will be a work horse, cutting out passes, tackling hard but fair, winning the ball and then making simple passes to the players who will create. There are two serious combinations available here, either to have a box to box player, who can also pick a pass, and has the flair to get past a player and create space in front of him. Dembele fits this role well. Or to have a deep lying playmaker who can dictate the play from further back, making short and safe passes to get out of defence when needed, not giving the ball away in dangerous positions or picking out long passes to the forwards, or wingers or will then cross the ball quickly for the attackers to score. Modric was perfect for this. Both these roles also give additional defensive protection. By playing 2 up front it allows the crosses to come high or along the ground, or you can clear the ball to the big guy to hold up the ball or head down for other players to run on to. Ade / Defoe could work well here.

If we are going to play 4-2-3-1 I think we need to direct the transfer funds to a striker who can play that role up front. If we are going to play 4-4-2 then we still desperately need a striker (maybe a young up and coming) but most of the cash needs to be spent on a creative midfielder.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 09:41:31 AM by dimexi »
Maybe next year...

Offline baldbloke

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 10:17:36 AM »
Player power is immense, and always has been. Our squad hated playing for Santini and Ramos, and towards the end Jol lost respect as well. I believe that players are quite prepared to lose games in order they can get a boss they respect and understand.
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 10:55:02 AM »
Dimexi,
  I am talking about the team to play on Sunday v West Ham, not for the remainder of the season, maybe I didn't make myself clear. This team is for the short term not the long term. I think the long term team virtually picks itself, would you not agree.

:nods: :nods:

Offline dimexi

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »
In which case, my statement saying if we play this formation, I agree with your choices. As Defoe is the only striker, we have to play that formation.
Maybe next year...

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 11:37:34 AM »
Do you agree with Dawson replacing Gallas, I just have my doubts about Gallas? Obviously as soon as Ade is available after his suspension then we can revert back to 4-4-2, the problem will be who to leave out? Add to that the other missing players returning! But I still think we need 2 more players,(a creative midfielder and another striker to strengthen the squad.

:-\ :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:45:42 AM by Paul Finch »