SpursNetwork

van der Vaart out for a Month?

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
Re: van der Vaart out for a Month?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »
I agree that Defoe can be very limited in what he offers as a striker ... as is Crouch, Pav and Keane...

but... Defoe could be very good with the right striker to play off... Defoe's movement off the ball is actually quite good and he can occupy 2 (sometimes 3) players at once... if we had the RIGHT BALANCE upfront, we would indeed have a good chance to win the league (or be guaranteed Top4 every year) despite Al Citeh's loot...

shows how an average team with the right balance upfront (Brum on Saturday) can be as good as a great team with the wrong balance upfront..

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »
VDV to face Blackpool this wkend?
COYS!

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2010, 01:52:47 PM »
Is VdV back in contention now?

If he plays what will be our formation will it be back to a loan striker playing off VdV?? Ifso which striker I say Pav or Defoe
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2010, 04:21:22 PM »
One really hopes that Vaart is out of commission until we get the pwoper type of striker to play him with.... which won't happen til mid-January..

if we don't get the right striker, we can kiss Top4 byebye this year, and be content with Top6 Europa Lge status for the next 10yrs.... yes it really is that stark and that serious..

Vaart played in the wrong context, simply cos he is famous and managed to score a few 3yarders from Crouch knockdowns a few weeks ago, will be a disaster in slow-motion for the rest of the season...

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »
GK another one of our key players who makes things happen for us that you dont rate then???

Dont you think Pav could play well of VdV or even defo with his speed?  what is it you dont rate about VdV as he brings alot to the team

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2010, 08:02:30 PM »
GK another one of our key players who makes things happen for us that you dont rate then???

Dont you think Pav could play well of VdV or even defo with his speed?  what is it you dont rate about VdV as he brings alot to the team

He dosen't rate him because Gareth's a gooner !!!

8D
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2010, 08:26:52 PM »
he also takes alot out of the team...... and if you read my words pwoperly, you will then notice I didnt say I dont rate him...

its your inability to differentiate beyond a certain degree of convention that separates you (in the plural) from me..

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2010, 11:49:41 PM »
"One really hopes that Vaart is out of commission until we get the pwoper type of striker to play him with.... which won't happen til mid-January.."

So for a comment such as above I would take that you dont rate VdV otherwise why the feck would you want him out of commission until we get a "pwoper" type of striker whatever that is.

So basically you say he doesnt serve a purpose for us unless we have a certain type of striker to play with him and therefore ya dont really rate him as a player and what he brings us as we currently stand end of point really aint it.

And on another note there is a hell of alot that separates you from me but thats another topic all together, shame we gotta share the same planet eh :up:

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2010, 09:54:33 AM »
Keown's law

If it benefits Tottenham .... Keown's against it

If it harms Tottenham ......Keown's for it

For the record Van der Vaart is a top class quality player that would benefit 99% of the teams in the world. We have missed his poaching and goal scoring prowess for the last few games.

If he's fit get him in the team !!!!

:up:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2010, 10:35:33 AM »
somedays I like marmalade with my toast.... somedays chocolate-spread...

but I never have both together between 2 slices of bread..

Vaart before mid-January  =   :nope:

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2010, 11:34:16 AM »
Keown's law

If it benefits Tottenham .... Keown's against it

If it harms Tottenham ......Keown's for it

For the record Van der Vaart is a top class quality player that would benefit 99% of the teams in the world. We have missed his poaching and goal scoring prowess for the last few games.

If he's fit get him in the team !!!!

:up:

Mine too Ugs!
COYS!

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2010, 01:15:13 PM »
You can't deny the effect vdv has had on the side already.

So i don;t know how you can say, you hope he isn't fit unless we sign a striker to play with him.

If vdv is that infective without this so called perfect partner for him, how comes he has already got 6 goals?

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2010, 01:50:08 PM »
theres the rub Biggsy me ole mucker  (cheeky English slang pitched in to confuse our Yankee friends  :lol:)

a player like Vaart may well have scored those goals in the short-term.... he may even continue to get goals when he still does play... but theres a crickiting term which may be well apt in this situation...

its called 'playing for your average'....... Defoe did it alot when Kanoute used to set him up with 6 golden chances per game..... he converted a few but the team AS A WHOLE was in a net deficit position... our results generally were alot better with Kanoute-Keane (as Keano tracked back alot, covered positions when out of possession and also was unselfish and passed to better placed teammates)..

remember for every positive a player can bring, he may also bring 2 negatives....

if we lose 2-1 but Vaart gets Spurs' goal, is that better than winning 1-0 with someone else scoring instead ??
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:55:51 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2010, 02:11:02 PM »
If you look at our results, they are clearly better when vdv plays

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2010, 02:27:46 PM »
in the short term, I might roll a die (plural: dice) and get a '6' five times out of 7 attempts....

over 96 attempts, I'd most likely roll a '6' about 12 times..... and not 80+ as you might expect judging from the 1st experiments results...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:30:39 PM by Gareth Keown »