Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
  • Season Ticket: No
One 'special' signing will be enough for Harry
« on: May 08, 2010, 11:09:21 AM »
Quote from: The Guardian
Harry Redknapp has told Tottenham Hotspur  supporters not to expect the club to make many signings over the summer because his squad is already strong enough to mount challenges in both the Premier League and the Champions League next season. He did, however, suggest that he could venture into the transfer market to sign "one really special player".

Tottenham also announced that they have pre-empted any attempt by other clubs to sign one of their best performers of the season by agreeing a new four-year deal with the left-back Gareth Bale.

To stress how strong he believes his squad is, Redknapp pointed to the calibre of substitutes that he was able to select for Wednesday's victory at Manchester City, when the Spurs bench included internationals such as Wilson Palacios, Roman Pavlyuchenko, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Sébastien Bassong.

His optimism is increased by the fact that Sandro, the 21-year-old Brazilian midfielder for whom Spurs paid £6m to Internacional last month, will arrive over the summer. The manager said the four players out on loan – Robbie Keane (Celtic), Alan Hutton (Sunderland), Jamie O'Hara (Portsmouth) and Kyle Naughton (Middlesbrough) – are all in his plans for the campaign ahead. Redknapp even sounded hopeful that Jonathan Woodgate would be fit for the start of next season. The centre-back is still in Australia receiving treatment on the groin injury that has kept him out of action since October.

"It's difficult to improve this squad," Redknapp said. "If Woodgate comes back fit, we've got good options everywhere. I wouldn't lose any sleep if we don't do anything this summer. But if we could find a really special player, someone who could take the team to another level like, for example, the way [Fernando] Torres did to Liverpool, then we'll try to do that. It might only be one player – one expensive player – but then we might go for it. But I'm certainly not chasing [chairman] Daniel [Levy] for transfer funds and I don't want four or five players – I wouldn't know what to do with them."

Redknapp, who has been named Barclays manager of the season, said one person who certainly will not be seen during Tottenham's Champions League adventures next season is his wife. "No chance, I'm very superstitious," he said, explaining that the only match she attended this season was the FA Cup semi-final that Spurs surprisingly lost to Portsmouth.

That setback may have had an unexpected benefit, as Redknapp says it gave his players extra impetus in the race for fourth spot in the Premier League. "I think if we'd won the semi-final we might not have finished fourth," he said. "People might have started looking forward to the Cup final but instead they started thinking we've done well all year and now we might end up with nothing and that made them come back strongly."

Im not sure i quite agree with this... i think we need at least 2 or 3. striker, defender, CM

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
Re: One 'special' signing will be enough for Harry
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:13:16 PM »
I agree. We need cover at CB another CM as I think Jeans and O'Hara may leave. And a striker as Keano will probably move on and Gudjonsen will probably go back to Monaco
COYS!

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:00:54 PM »
I agree. We need cover at CB another CM as I think Jeans and O'Hara may leave. And a striker as Keano will probably move on and Gudjonsen will probably go back to Monaco
We actually already signed a new CM - Sandro. I have a feeling that Harry rates Jenas. He hasn't been playing lately because he has been injured. But yeas, O'Hara will probably want to play in starting XI and I can't see it happening at Spurs. Well, at least not at the moment. Keane has been one of my favorite players, it seems that most of the peple around here despise him. Anyway, I would very much want him to stay. He's an experienced player and that is what we need next season.

Offline ozoha

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 02:07:25 PM »
I agree with Harry. We need only a world class player.

And I think David Villa should be the best option.
Audere et Facere!

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »
Torres anyone, I hear he would only cost 70mill  ;D
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 08:08:11 PM »
Torres is always crocked!
COYS!

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 03:14:21 PM »
We actually already signed a new CM - Sandro. I have a feeling that Harry rates Jenas. He hasn't been playing lately because he has been injured. But yeas, O'Hara will probably want to play in starting XI and I can't see it happening at Spurs. Well, at least not at the moment. Keane has been one of my favorite players, it seems that most of the peple around here despise him. Anyway, I would very much want him to stay. He's an experienced player and that is what we need next season.
I doubt if any true Spurs fan despises Keane, it's just he came back from Liverpool half the player he was when he left. 

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 08:41:45 PM »
I've always liked Keane, i just think he will be moved on if we get a decent offer for him (£10million +)
COYS!