SpursNetwork

Olympic Stadium

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Olympic Stadium
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 03:39:35 AM »
I got it we can call ourselves, ..........

not-in-westham    stratspurs

Do ya reckon chas "n" dave could work that into a song  :-\
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 11:18:40 AM »
I got it we can call ourselves, ..........

not-in-westham    stratspurs

Do ya reckon chas "n" dave could work that into a song  :-\

It's only Chas now and I reckon he could work nearly anything into a song !!!!

:dance:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 11:49:12 AM »
Charles * David are indeed fine purveyors of ye olde Cockney rhyming ditties.... as opposed to the Jamaican-Cockney mostly spoken nowadays by the London-town yoot....

innit bro.... nowaap meen....

(Carole Branning, loves plain chocolate )  :D

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 01:12:40 PM »
The move is very likely to happen unless the local council and that tit Lammy in particular change their stance.

His idea we would have to change our name is a complete non starter and even a trainee solicitor could see the holes in that argument. Clutching at straws.

The council are the ones who have balls up by insisting Spurs pay for the upgrade of the whole transport system and improvements in the area (as well as retaining building that are only fit for demolision). As a taxpayer i see both sides of the coin, the club should clearly HELP pay for improvments to rail & road links as increased fans is going to add to what is already a nightmare stadium to reach problem.

However it is not Spurs responsibility to upgrade an entire community just because we want to build a larger stadium.

The community doesnt have a huge amount going for it financially so really need the club, the club (i hope but not so sure now) really want to stay where they are. Middle ground had to be reached, if the original or even slightly altered plans had been agreed the the other stadium would never have been on the agenda. Greed and stupidity of people like Lammy has caused this problem.

I know feel that the board understand the significant cost difference (100-200mill) between staying and moving as well as the proximity to the City and the commercial rewards that would bring mean that if we are the preferred bidder then we will be moving. Too late for council (and not even sure they can backtrack on demands at this stage) to try and change the clubs mind.

..............Of course we probably won't be preferred bidder and the Pikeys will benefit from a shedload of taxpayers cash and be smug b**tards.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 02:03:19 PM »
agree with him or not, Lammy is absolutely right to put the other side of the argument.... otherwise it would be yet another local (and possibly State) government  rubber-stamping job bending the knee for 'Big-Business' yet again.... and the corporates end up with a windfall mega-stadium and nice tax-breaks, a la the Man City stadium at Eastlands (which was really a gift to the then Citeh owners' funded by tax-payers' (the little people)...

let the process proceed.... what comes out will be right.... either way..

Offline cobra

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »
We have insisted to the council that we need help, with getting our new stadium up and running, just like the gooners got the help, when building emirates, but have they done so, NO.
So what are we supposed to do, bow to their threats of changing our name, if we leave, which i dont think they can make us do by the way, have they helped organise better transport facilities, NO
have they helped us with getting them so called listed buildings debacle, so we can proceed, NO
have they offered any help in financing the stadium, which when built would liven the tottenham area, and promote prosperity, to a less than desirable area, as it is at the moment, i mean without our club who would want to go to tottenham.
The council are not helping one little bit, and are trying to have everything they want, in other words using us, so do we really want to stay so the council do well out of us ?.
Lets face it guys our supporters are worldwide, and getting bigger all the time, not a lot live in tottenham, we the club are bigger than tottenham, i like you do feel nostalgia at the history of the club and its beginnings, but if we must move to a nicer environment, and better transport facilities, then maybe its the move we should do, we are the cockerel (phoenix) rising from the flames, and looking for a wonderful home to parade in all its glory.

Offline bigv

• Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »
some valid arguments there but from an irish fan living in ireland i havent any grounds (pun there get it?)
for arguing for the sentimental reasonings behind remaining in NI7. Progress sometimes requires change and drastic ones at that. For all of the people crying out blue murder and threatening to give up supporting the club, I say try and see the bigger picture. Tottenham Hotspur will outlive all of us.

Offline cobra

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 07:18:28 PM »
IN OTHER WORDS GUYS

WE ARE TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR F.C

WE ARE NOT TOTTENHAM COUNCIL, OR  ANYTHING TO DO WITH THAT DEPRESSING AREA, WE GO TO WATCH OUR GREAT FOOTBALL TEAM, NOT TO VISIT THE BOROUGH, IF WE MOVE , WE WILL STILL BE TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR F.C, NOTHING WILL CHANGE THAT.

OUR CLUB IS BIGGER THAN TOTTENHAM THE PLACE.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 08:13:14 PM »
Cobra.... I dont think the local area benefits that greatly from having Spurs at WHL....

most of the fans don't even  live within 2 miles of the place and so why should the LOCAL taxpayers help in any away to subsidise a multi-billionaire owner of the club, who chooses to pay no taxes in England (never mind N.London) by living in the tax-haven called the Bahamas...

there are complex pros and cons for both sides of the argument.... and if the local council aren't gonna shovel hard-earned taxpayers' money at a leisure company plc (which Spurs is) well we can hardly blame them can we ??...

as for banning us using Tottenham in any name for the club, thats simply unlawful, and wouldnt have a leg to stand on in any court....

Offline cobra

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 08:47:05 PM »
gareth the only reason i stated that the council put some money in, is because the gooners up the road got a helping hand for their stadium, so why shouldnt we, we will bring so much to the area, but even that wont be enough, i think the majority of people including myself, feel we should move, never thought id want that, but when you weigh up the pros and cons, its the only sensible solution.
more pleasureable surroundings, better transport facilities, 200m savings, and an arena, fit for our players, but the running track must go.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 08:49:53 PM »
Cobra.... I dont think the local area benefits that greatly from having Spurs at WHL....

most of the fans don't even  live within 2 miles of the place and so why should the LOCAL taxpayers help in any away to subsidise a multi-billionaire owner of the club, who chooses to pay no taxes in England (never mind N.London) by living in the tax-haven called the Bahamas...

there are complex pros and cons for both sides of the argument.... and if the local council aren't gonna shovel hard-earned taxpayers' money at a leisure company plc (which Spurs is) well we can hardly blame them can we ??...

as for banning us using Tottenham in any name for the club, thats simply unlawful, and wouldnt have a leg to stand on in any court....

Gareth when was the last time you visited Tottenham, actually have you ever been there.... I doubt it very much !!!

For years Tottenham N17 has been kept afloat by the mear presence of the Football Club and the revenue that it brings to the area, it is a run down inner city area that has lost the industry based within it and most of its business and shops. Regardless of who owns the club and where he lives the Football Club has kept the area alive like a life support machine, I know when I left the area it was slowly dying and that was 25 years ago, this I know because I worked there and when I was younger I did a milk round there, my street hockey team used to train in the old Spurs Gym that was located just inside the main gate of White Hart Lane. I have been back at regular intervals and I have seen nothing to change my point of view or to think that the area is on the up, the council have basically given up on N17. You'll find most of the local taxpayers will happily pay taxes for the rejuvenation as it will improve their standard of living and employment prospects, from Sevens Sisters down through Bruce Grove and all the way too Sterling Way at Upper Edmonton the whole area would receive a massive boost.

Yes there are complex pro's and con's for staying or going and I am not going too get involved in them, but Tottenham N17 relies heavily on Tottenham Hotspur Football Club......

:nods:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
gareth the only reason i stated that the council put some money in, is because the gooners up the road got a helping hand for their stadium, so why shouldnt we, we will bring so much to the area, but even that wont be enough, i think the majority of people including myself, feel we should move, never thought id want that, but when you weigh up the pros and cons, its the only sensible solution.
more pleasureable surroundings, better transport facilities, 200m savings, and an arena, fit for our players, but the running track must go.

Cobra it was a different council mate, the scum were dealing with Islington Council we have got the piss poor Haringey council to deal with !!!!!

:)

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »
I dont think the club has kept the local area going at all... in fact the opposite might be true...

most fans on matchdays simply come in from miles away, make a commotion and leave... they dont hang about the place luxuriating in the local delights..

if the club ground had been demolished and re-deployed into residential and/or local PUBLIC ameneties the LOCALS... those who actually pay council-tax in the area.... would get something tangible back...its a myth that the club generates wealth for the local area, perhaps a little but that's easily negated by the noise, congestion etc that come with matchdays...

and idf Ars*nal were lucky/savvy enough to get public funding for their relocation, well thats their good luck.... it by no means allows for the next gravy-train to come load up at the LOCAL TAXPAYERS expense (I bet most LOCALS dont even go to league football matches anyway)...

Spurs should not get a penny from local or national taxpayers..... especially when the chief recipient is some fat-cat billionaire dodging tax in the Bahamas..
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:18:38 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 09:30:22 PM »
Like I said you've never been there !!!!

;)

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 10:04:46 PM »
It's not all about the lack of funding from council/tax payer. I think everyone accepts that finance is very different from 3-5years ago when councils or the government had very different ways of looking at things.

My issue with the council is doing crap that saves buildings that nobody will ever give a flying f*ck about and that would one day just colapse anyway. Why should we save them and re-do our plans costing millions of additional cost due to less saleable property. Looking after trees-FFS what other club in the land has had this added to their list of duties?

The scum got lucky when they built the stadium and benefited from large support and backing. We should have known we would find things very different.

Doesnt matter what happens though, we will always be Tottenham Hotspur. :up: