SpursNetwork

Offical 25 man squad.

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Offical 25 man squad.
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 01:25:09 PM »
no.... cos the club you are contracted to still has to pay your wages whether they play you in the 1st team or not....

you could still turn out for the reserves, etc...
The squad rule only applies to the Prem you could still play in all the cup games and the list can be ammended in January. I think Woodgate is the only player to have been excluded across the 20 teams in the league. Even if he should manage to get fit it is highly unlikely he would be available to play before xmas anyway. The whole thing seems like a bit of a farce really.

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 01:39:52 PM »
I dont think its a farce at all... Its a very good idea..

its there to stop the likes of Abu Dhabi County stockpiling very good players into 50-man squads just so that they are not available to other teams.... if you have any doubts just think of the recent events eg. Bellamy where Citeh simply refused to allow another team deemed competition from getting him...

it actually costs Citeh to send him to Cardiff, rather then them making money thru transfer-fee and wage savings for Bellamy....THAT is the classic example of why we need a 25-player rule for squads... 

other reason is to allow home-grown, and for practical reasons, mainly British youngsters being given a better chance of being developed into Prem or international-standard players.... rather than the Prem clubs not bothering to develop British talent and just paying foreign ready-made players from other leagues to come to the Prem...

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 02:23:23 PM »
They could have sold Bellamy. They had lots of offers. They were scared to let him go to a rival. Roque Santa Cruz is going to be kicking his heels too. How can it have worked when no players have been left out of any squad throughout the League? You can put fwd as many young players as you like Ars*nal have named 56  under 21s hardly any of them will get a game. And most of the other teams have loads as well. Christ even Blackpool have 22. Unless they make it 25 players, so many homegrown, and thats it, this system cannot possibly work.   

Offline Aosoth

• Hero: Gary Mabutt
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 02:40:20 PM »
no.... cos the club you are contracted to still has to pay your wages whether they play you in the 1st team or not....

So what happens when you are at a club who doesn't have a reserve team?  If you are a professional footballer, you are paid to play footballer.  From an individual perspective, if a player says that they actually want to "work"(as far as playing football can be called work) for their money and yet due to the 25 man squad thing and the transfer window they simply are not allowed to, then is that not restriction of trade?

It's essentially like being told "you can't find somewhere to play, but we're letting you know, we won't be playing you."

The squad rule only applies to the Prem you could still play in all the cup games and the list can be ammended in January. I think Woodgate is the only player to have been excluded across the 20 teams in the league. Even if he should manage to get fit it is highly unlikely he would be available to play before xmas anyway. The whole thing seems like a bit of a farce really.
The cup game thing is valid but I didn't have a particular player in mind matey =)  Just a completely hypothetical situation.   I think there were several players left out, I believe mainly due to injury (Michael Kightly of Wolves I think was another) but Woody was the most high profile.

I don't think any club is likely to play any player outside their allotted selection even for cup games (U21's aside ofc).  It's a pretty clear indication that you won't be playing.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 02:46:13 PM »
but surely the 25-man rule proactively stopped clubs like Citeh from going out and getting 30-35 top players rather than being constrained (for them) and having to 'make do' with just 25 over21s...

if the rule had not been there, do you really think Citeh wold have stopped buying EVEN MORE players, just so that others like Spurs would not get them.... they couldve easily hijacked the vdv deal if that was the case and just let him play the odd game here and there, just to stop a rival strengthening during a transfer-window...

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 02:48:50 PM »

So what happens when you are at a club who doesn't have a reserve team?  If you are a professional footballer, you are paid to play footballer.  From an individual perspective, if a player says that they actually want to "work"(as far as playing football can be called work) for their money and yet due to the 25 man squad thing and the transfer window they simply are not allowed to, then is that not restriction of trade?

It's essentially like being told "you can't find somewhere to play, but we're letting you know, we won't be playing you."

I think all Football league clubs have to have a youth and reserve team, its the rules i think.

they had this on SSN the other day about "what if a player isn't named, what can they do?" and essentially you are right...there is nothing they can do. the only thing is to Go out on lean because the Loan market for teh Championship is still open.

You can also Edit you 25 players in January.. so if woody if fit in Jan and his Op works maybe he will get named the

Offline Aosoth

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 02:57:44 PM »
I thought Spurs abolished their reserve team a last season or the season before for example Biggs? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think they're as prevalent as they used to be.

Offline Aosoth

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 03:04:05 PM »
but surely the 25-man rule proactively stopped clubs like Citeh from going out and getting 30-35 top players rather than being constrained (for them) and having to 'make do' with just 25 over21s...

if the rule had not been there, do you really think Citeh wold have stopped buying EVEN MORE players, just so that others like Spurs would not get them.... they couldve easily hijacked the vdv deal if that was the case and just let him play the odd game here and there, just to stop a rival strengthening during a transfer-window...

I get the value of that Gareth, really I do.  Lets be fair it's not just Citeh either...Chelski did it when the wealth came in initially too, buying up the likes of Parker and Wright-Phillips et al, mainly to avoid other teams getting their mitts on them.

This is merely hypothetical and in all honesty, I don't think the 25-man rule really hindered Man City anyways did it?  Check out Bellamy...What they're doing to him is despicable.  He might not be everyone's favourite player but he is a top flight player, essentially who is prevented from playing top flight football in his own country for as long as City decide to exercise their financial muscle over him.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 03:09:48 PM »
if we sell Modric, then use the money to get a recognised world-class striker (or Cameron Jerome).... we COULD just win the league this season..

WTF!!! Sell Modric for who...? Cameron Jerome. HELL NO

Gareth. Your a tit!
You know, reading Gareth Keown's comments makes me want to quit SpursNetwork. Seriously.

Riff please don't go not for the sake of one persons drivvle, he only does it so he can be the center of attention.

Pretty much everyone else disagrees with Gareth and his invaluable knowledge of Football LOL !!!!
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 03:11:38 PM »
I thought Spurs abolished their reserve team a last season or the season before for example Biggs? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think they're as prevalent as they used to be.

yeah i think your right... i remember that now.

I think its just Youth teams that's all teams have to have as a rule

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 03:14:21 PM »

In fact I'm pretty sure that was one of the first things 'Arry did, he prefers to put players out on loan to get experience in a real situation.

:up:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2010, 03:42:22 PM »
Actually the 25 man squad is good for England. Look at La-Liga, they have been using that 25 man squad rule for quite some time and it really helped their youths and national team. I think the FA Wanted this to help England really.

But still there are drawbacks to this rule which in turn makes players in a difficult position sometimes. But hey? If it helps us that players can control the club anymore because of the rule id gladly accept it . I dont want another Keano/Berbatov scenario with any of our players again.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »
I still think the 25-man rule stopped the likes of Citeh having half a dozen 'Bellamy situations' where they would happily pay these players wages from their limitless sovereign wealth and not bat an eyelid, and also keep the players from playing for rivals...

I think someone quoted AC Milan as doing the same thing about 20yrs ago when that crook Berlusconi took over them...

and it did hinder Citeh to have this 25-man rule, in the context that it stopped them hijacking other players from rivals about to acquire them... if it wasnt for the rule, it would have been easy for them to get vdv for 10m pay him 5k a week more than we would and then just have him play the odd game here and there to their whim..

ANOTHER POINT NOBODY HAS MENTIONED :-

any player that plays 10% or less of their clubs entire number of competitive (non-Friendly) games in a given season is entitled to rip up their contract and move on a free-transfer, if they so wish... this is a FIFA directive...

therefore clubs take a risk if they buy too many players, and some players play very few games.... as thry can then leave for nothing.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:58:20 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2010, 03:54:59 PM »
Actually the 25 man squad is good for England. Look at La-Liga, they have been using that 25 man squad rule for quite some time and it really helped their youths and national team. I think the FA Wanted this to help England really.

But still there are drawbacks to this rule which in turn makes players in a difficult position sometimes. But hey? If it helps us that players can control the club anymore because of the rule id gladly accept it . I dont want another Keano/Berbatov scenario with any of our players again.

In theory yeah... but look at Ars*nal, not 1 English player in their 25...Players like Fabregas etc have been counted as 'Home Grown '

so is there really any point?

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2010, 04:16:35 PM »

In theory yeah... but look at Ars*nal, not 1 English player in their 25...Players like Fabregas etc have been counted as 'Home Grown '

so is there really any point?

you disappoint me Biggsy...

you cannot quote just 1 example out of 20 clubs to help prove a point.... the average number of 'home-grown' players under21yrs, throughout 20 league clubs, will greatly have an English/British quota attached....

you can'y stop every individual case, but the homegrown ruling will improve the trend of having more young, English homegrown players - as the vast majority of u18s (who will have to be 'in the system' for 3yrs minimum before aged 21yrs)  with Prem clubs will be fairly locally-based English/British players - thats just the logistics of living and economics...