SpursNetwork

are Dawson and Corluka viable ??

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: are Dawson and Corluka viable ??
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2010, 05:56:13 PM »
I found out today that our pitch has astroturf in with the grass making it stronger to deal with it shredding up etc. Now there's today's fact of the day.

Back to the game. I wouldn't be surprised if King isn't risked. I think Harry will go with Bassong and Daws at the back on tues.
COYS!

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2010, 11:39:25 PM »
I personally think 'Arry will pretty much play the same side as Saturday, maybe Palacious in for Huddlestone but apart from that no difference !!

:)

‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2010, 08:02:06 AM »
Why would he swap hudd for palacios?
COYS!

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2010, 01:47:43 PM »
Why would he swap hudd for palacios?

I just thought that Hudd had a quiet game and didn't really get stuck in dedley, that's all. Just my own personal opinion cos we don't want to concede away to Young Boys, a good solid away performance with 10 men behind the ball and hit em on the break !!!

;)
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2010, 12:16:53 PM »
great game lat night to perfectly highlight the inadequacies of Pinky and Perky..

the 2nd goal especially was a classic Pinkyism..... and where was Perky when Pinky was totally exposed on the rightside before the cross inevitably came in only for the guy to shoot over the bar ??... I guess he was pooteling back into position at 6mph in that strange flat-footed 'walking-run' of his,after being stranded upfield.... again..

thanks for making it so much easier now for Arry to get Gallas in within the next week or so...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:28:02 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline WilsonJet

• Mouthy Yank
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2010, 02:40:57 PM »
For someone who "loves Spurs more than he hates the competition", you sure don't have much love for our boys at the back. We get it...they're slow! But who else are we going to play? Corluka and Dawson are the best players we have at each position. Chirp all you want about Charley but the guy is solid and consistent, and we clearly weren't going to play Ledley on an artificial surface. So, in your own words, "why moan about it?" I guarantee you the club is doing everything within its means to shore up the position.

Besides, we are going to win next Wednesday. Be happy dude - stay positive!
He's strained his left adductor muscle it says. Whats that then ? Do we all have those or just footballers ? I wonder how mine are ? *courtesy of taimedowne*

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »
I think you'll find that almost the whole team was having a mistake last night and singleling out one incident when the whole defence was a shambles is a bit harsh. Yes Dawson was caught but even your saviour Gallas would not of been able to turn and catch their forward from that position, and to be fair if Palacious hadn't given the ball away then nobody would of been caught anywhere. Bassong and BAE were caught for the 3rd goal in almost the same way so ce la vie !!!

:(

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2010, 02:48:25 PM »
1 game doesnt prove/disprive anything....

Couldn't have said it better myself.
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2010, 02:49:08 PM »
individually Corluka and Dawson are not bad per se...

after my chirpings on about it so much - yous still dont get it do you ??

Dawson with pace on either side with Kaboul and King/Bassong  =  very good

Corluka at RB with pacey Kaboul/King at rightside-CB  =  very good

slow Corluka (RB) with slow Dawson( rightside-CB)  =   VERY VERY BAD

there.... do you now get the gist ??...... finally..
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:51:15 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2010, 02:53:09 PM »
Mate I'm not retarded, I can see what you're saying, so just because I disagree with you does not make me illiterate, you have to understand that your  OPINION  is not bonefide fact. I've yet to see you come up of many examples of where Daws and Charlie as a pairing has actually cost the side.
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2010, 03:02:53 PM »
I think you'll find that almost the whole team was having a mistake last night and singleling out one incident when the whole defence was a shambles is a bit harsh. Yes Dawson was caught but even your saviour Gallas would not of been able to turn and catch their forward from that position, and to be fair if Palacious hadn't given the ball away then nobody would of been caught anywhere. Bassong and BAE were caught for the 3rd goal in almost the same way so ce la vie !!!

:(

yes I agree that the whole defence and central-midfield played badly.... but it wasnt helped (and greatly caused) by an inability to play well with the back4 pushed upfield - for the fear of being skinned on our rightside..

particularly for the 3rd goal, this caused our back4 to defend too deeply, leaving a chasm between our midfield and Back4 lines with huge holes for their players to flit into without being picked up...... the guy that scored the 3rd goal positioned himself 8-10yds in front of the Backline and still at least 5yds away from our midfield line, to pick up ythe ball..... that gap is simply too huge.... Bassong couldnt leave his post and go charging up almost into midfield and Modric (the nearest CM) couldnt in time go back to cover such a huge area where Constanza was....

very slow rightside ---->  defending deep -------> big gap Back4 to midfield line (esp. when our midfield has to go forward to help get equaliser)   ----------> very vulnerable in the space between Back4 and midfield (as shown in 3rd goal)..

the alternative when we are behind is to push that Back4 forward to close huge gap to midfield line, and be very vulnerable to pace on our slow rightside.... just ping the ball into the 40yd space behind Corluka and Dawson at will to get all the chances you need to score more goals....

Offline WilsonJet

• Mouthy Yank
« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2010, 08:03:51 PM »
Honestly, Gareth, I was just giving you a bit of a hard time because we're all die-hard Spurs fans here and I know that your intensity is due to your passion for the club. That being said, please be respectful.

I, along with many others, seem to disagree with your assessment that the other pairings you suggested would be an improvement over Daws and Corluka. I think that, despite their weaknesses, they are still the best players available at each position and give us the best chance for a positive result. Despite all of your well-reasoned tactical analyses, Spurs are rarely beaten on the LEFT SIDE (defensive right) of the field where the alleged weakness lies (happened one time last night). Most goals against are straight up the middle on counters when we give the ball away. And last night BAE was getting tested quite a bit on the other side of the field.

Lighten up my friend  8D WE GET YOU! I just disagree - respectfully. And, yes, I think it would be awesome if one or both of them was faster - lol.
He's strained his left adductor muscle it says. Whats that then ? Do we all have those or just footballers ? I wonder how mine are ? *courtesy of taimedowne*

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »
What about Hudd, imagine him with pace  :2up:

Bill Nicholson

Offline WilsonJet

• Mouthy Yank
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2010, 08:08:55 PM »
Thud with pace would be EPIC! He'd be like a killer football cyborg.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2010, 08:56:22 PM »
lol WilsonJet...... we'll have to agree to disagree on the playability(?) of both Corluka and Dawson combined.... every team has weaknesses I guess, but this 1 seems pretty solvable to me - but then what do I know about managing a CL football team ??

we'll know by 2/9/10 whether Arryboy thinks along similar lines to me, or not as the case may be....

and.... THudd + pace  =  Jenas (under Jol when he had licence to attack the penalty-area from CM)