SpursNetwork

are Dawson and Corluka viable ??

Offline Dom07Tottenham

• Hero: Gareth Bale
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: are Dawson and Corluka viable ??
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010, 06:46:02 AM »

I bided my time on the subject but thought it is time to weigh in on the allegedly flawed Dawon Corluka right sided partnership. Judging by the responses its safe to say Gareth has a very different opinion of the partnership, which he is completely entitled to. However I would like to put the issue to bed once and for all. Firstly I understand where Gareth is coming from, that Dawson and Corluka both lack pace, which makes them more prone to being skinned, and therefore a flawed right sided partnership, and this would be entirely true if pace was the only factor CB’s were judged upon, but they are not.

For the first 13 games of the past EPL season Dawson and Corluka did not start together, King, and Bassong where preferred, and until Woodgate got injured Harry tried putting him in the side wherever possible, unfortunately he was then injured and hardly featured. After this Harry definitely had a preference for the Dawson, Corluka right sided partnership,  as they played together the next 13 games in a row unchanged, the partnership was then  only broken for one game until, it was broken again due to the injury of Corluka who didn’t play another game during the season.
Once the partnership began after the first 13 games, Dawson and Corluka started alongside each other 17 times our of the next 18 games of the EPL season and the partnership was ultimately a successful one, and was paramount to the clubs success and top four berth. Out of 17 games Tottenham won 9, drew, 6, and lost only 2 games, with 8 clean sheets, and amazingly only 11 goals conceded  out of 17 games.

That being said we still have some great defenders, in Dawson, Bassong, King, Bale, Assout-Ekotto, Kaboul and Corluka, and they all crucially played their role and did what was needed for the club, the main weakness is the depth at CB, King once again be played intermittently, it is unclear whether Woodgate will play again, so we have a total of 3 fit Centerbacks, if either Dawson or Bassong are injured we will be forced to play people out of position, we have some great versatile players, but this really will be our Achilles and could majorly be our undoing this season after all last years hard work, especially with such a grueling schedule, even more games this season particularly if we make it to CL group stages, so strengthening this area and adding another quality CB, must be our priority, and with Woodgate and King, in the latter years of their careers, we should start grooming replacements for both.

If Harry can't find a better replacement then Gallas, then we should except him with open arms, and forget who he has played for, the important factors to consider is what can he do for us, his experience in CL and the EPL is very positive, however I have reservations over his wage demands as he  definitely isn't worth breaking the wage structure for, despite being a bosman., and getting such a player is he is closer to the end of their career also with age comes proneness to injury, we don't want another geraiatric with a walking stick.  If Gallas can remain fit, and take a pay cut then this would be an ideal move for us, but they are big questions that need to be answered. At last resort if we could not get any one else in I would definitely say yes.

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2010, 10:17:29 AM »
Corluka only good against certain opposition. Speed wingers can leave him for dead. But he is versatile, and that can be important when it comes to injuries.

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2010, 01:49:56 PM »
Although here's another interesting fact. Ive stumbled into a few of them Ars*nal's blog. It seems theres rumours about Wenger inquiring about Dawson~ What bout that?

Offline Dom07Tottenham

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2010, 02:17:31 PM »

What about it, doesn't mean anything, maybe Ars*nal need to up their homegrown quota? obviously not available, would have to pay crazy money to prize him away plus offer a replacement, we a short on CB's why would we sell?

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »
EXCELLENT summation by Dom07 above - best post I've read on here for a while.

let me say again, I like Dawson and think he's a good player..... my reservations about going into a CL season with him is that against the continental-style teams to be encountered he may be a liability, not just cos of a lack of pace but his mindset and general ability doesnt lend itself to quick movement and short-passing in the final-third... last nights incident doesnt prove anything either way, but it does echo a theme familiar to him from seasons past (tho yes, he has improved last season)..

about Gallas.... people keep on about 'if he can prove his fitness' or 'if he can stay fit' etc..... doesnt that go for any player in the squad ??.... at this moment, Gallas does not have any fitness/injury problems so it is a red-herring to keep mention these as issues. The guy is very athletic, still has pace, won't break the wage-structure as he will accept 80k a week (that 1 or 2 are on now), as the experience we will NEED in Europe especially, and if King is absent (other CBs tho good, lack experienced leadership needed in a Back4)..

the issue that stopped Gallas from joining R.Madrid last month was that he wanted a 2yr deal (they offered 1yr). If he hadnt played for Ars*nal, I'm sure most would be v.keen to get him (on a free-transfer too) as his many credentials (in ability, experience, athleticism, fitness, captaining experience both for top clubs and France) would represent an improvement in our squad/team quality.

our options for a new CB are not limitless, and Prem and CL are just around the corner..... time to look at the bigger picture.

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2010, 04:46:34 PM »
What about the fact that we're after Richards, hmmmmmm. If we get him, we don't need anyone else at the back. Even now we're well covered at CB.
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2010, 04:52:22 PM »
youre absolutely right.... cos Citeh are dying to strengthen us by selling players of the calibre of Richards and Bellamy..

heres a real stab in the dark.... Richards and Bellamy will sooner be mothballed on full pay til next season at least,  before Citeh send them to possibly their biggest rival to a Top4 place..... even if they chuck away 20m by doing so.

W.G. awaits.

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2010, 07:10:02 AM »
they have heart and desire, but still believe a world class defender is needed, and a new left back.... Bale should stay out left in midfield

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2010, 06:12:47 PM »
Yeah Charlie and Daws got completely raped by City's pace today didn't they.
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2010, 06:44:52 PM »
1 game doesnt prove/disprive anything.... but have to agree that both Corluka and Dawson did very well indeedy against Citeh...

all the fundamentals were against us in theory today, as Citeh played 3 in central-midfield to our 2 in THudd-Modric (not that noted for defensive excellence) wit a very fluid (on paper) quartet of Barry, Silva, SWP and Tevez behind 2 DMs: Toure and de Jong....

a bit like the flying bumble-bee in the 1st half especially, it shouldnt fly but it did spectacularly (despite 0-0).... then maybe predictably, we lost abit of steam in the midfield in the 2nd half...

with Gallas and Remy still to come....... is the title beaconing even after just 1 match ??

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2010, 07:34:51 PM »
there are those who say Corluka is our best RB as he compliments Lennon so well... I actually think its waaaay the other way around, inthat Lennon's dynamism and ability to track back makes Corluka look twice the player he truly is - Arry I think knows this now and will start Kaboul at RB when fit.

Kaboul better than Corluka?  Haha!  Say what you will about Corluka but Kaboul is not better...that is for sure.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2010, 12:36:36 AM »
1 game doesnt prove/disprive anything.... but have to agree that both Corluka and Dawson did very well indeedy against Citeh...

all the fundamentals were against us in theory today, as Citeh played 3 in central-midfield to our 2 in THudd-Modric (not that noted for defensive excellence) wit a very fluid (on paper) quartet of Barry, Silva, SWP and Tevez behind 2 DMs: Toure and de Jong....

a bit like the flying bumble-bee in the 1st half especially, it shouldnt fly but it did spectacularly (despite 0-0).... then maybe predictably, we lost abit of steam in the midfield in the 2nd half...

with Gallas and Remy still to come....... is the title beaconing even after just 1 match ??

Do you you spout Sh**e for a living ?

:2funny:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »
surprised Ledley played yesterday... I guess Arry feels he's good enough to play 2 in 4 days, which is great news..

I think that until we get that experienced CB we're after, then it makes sense to keep Kaboul as cover for CB until then, and play Corluka at RB....

Offline Dom07Tottenham

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2010, 01:14:19 PM »

I think Harry said before that he will leave him out of the Young Boys away game because of the astroturf, do they have a closed stadium also?, astroturf in a closed stadium gets very greasy and slippery, which brings back nightmares of the FA cup loss to Portsmouth, especially for Dawson.
I hope we learned a few things from that day, Portsmouth and the greasy pitch, made us look ordinary at the back.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2010, 02:40:50 PM »
it quite the old astro-turf, apparently its very similar to grass.... the slipperiness should be similar to what we are used to on grass after a drizzle or watering... dont think the conditions should be that important..

I have a feeling we will play a different system to yesterday's and use Modric at LM with Bale/BAE at LB.... away in Europe, Arry will play a more defensively-robust CM pairing eg. Palacios-THudd...

hopefully Gallas and Remy arrive soon.... pray that Parker DOESNT !!