Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: are Dawson and Corluka viable ??
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 07:02:17 PM »
still think we need a quality cb with cl experience tho

Me to, personally i think this should be at the top of our list.

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 07:11:13 PM »
I wonder why we didn't go after Marquez ?????
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »
Nope Dawson maybe Corluka... Hell no!

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 01:34:19 AM »
who are the possible  and viable candidates for our new CB ??

needs to be experienced in a big league, with pace (we have enough slow possible CBs with Dawson, Corluka, T|Hudd), and not too pricey (< 7m quid), preferably English-speaking, and predominantly plays as the rightside CB.... who are we linked with that also fits the bill ??

Curtis Davies
Micah Richards (but would s**ttey sell to US ??)
Tasci (young good German-Turk, made WC squad for Germany, but strongly linked with Arse)
Diakhate (African CB playing in Russia, CL experienced, good player)
Anton Ferdinand - talented, but wayward (could Arry straighthen him out tho ??)

personally, I'd also add Nicolas Burdisso to the list..... very experienced Argie CB, loaned to Roma from Inter Milan, excellent game-reader and CL experienced, can even play RB...... possibly available on loan again (so cheap too)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 01:37:31 AM by Gareth Keown »

Offline Storts

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 03:27:32 PM »
Not sure I agree with you Gareth.

Dawson does need the right partner, someone like King is perfect, but Bassong does a good job, and as long as the other partner has pace then they work very well. Daws has a lot to his game. Good with his feet and ehad, very good at reading the ball and his distribution is superb. Occasionally he is beaten by pace in behind but with the right partner this isn't important as it will be covered. I think Daws will be captain this year and we need to get behind him and hope he has another fantastic season. I do think we need to do our best to sign Richards though.

As for Corluka I really like him. Yes he isn't a centre back, but he is a very solid right back and an important link in our team. Kaboul is very good back up all over the pitch, but Charlie is experienced and rarely does a left winger dominate him.

Offline Dom07Tottenham

• Hero: Gareth Bale
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 02:40:54 PM »

Corluka has been great for us, not sure what you have been watching, hes only weakness is his pace, but I haven't seen it being that much of a problem, Dawson is slightly prone to being skinned also, so I see your point. Kaboul has filled in very well when required, he does seem to have good pace, and decent cross, he provides good competition at RB, and should get a few games, although Harry does love his Croatians and their work ethic, I wouldn't want to see either of them at CB, lets just hope Dawson and Bassong stay fit, and Ledley gets in a few games, we really are flogging a dead horse with him, great player and club legend, but it just doesn't make sense to keep him past this season, we need a quality replacement, same goes for Woody, I fully understand why we are showing loyalty to him for his years of service, but really we need someone who can play 2 games in a row, finding a solid center pairing and keeping them together is integral to our defence.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »
I dont think King's contract renewal came outta sympathy/loyalty... he just happens to be a near world-class CB that even Capello thought worthwhile to chance (and he rarely goes with injury-prone players)...

as long as he can play 1 game a week, we'll be getting a fantastic player.... lets not forget his knee-condition is manageable and therefore he can be scheduled to play, as long as he doesnt have to play 3 games a week (as he in fact, successfully did at last season-end)..

Arry will have to decide on whether to play him in Europe or the Prem... last year, we didnt have to make that choice as: no Europe)... he could even play in both Europe and Prem games in same week, as long as a 3rd game isnt due for him for 5-6 days to recover in)..

Bassong is more than just a deputy for King, and is excellent in his own right.... our starting CB-pairing against Pool in the Prem opener last year was in fact King-Bassong.... and we didnt do too badly then (esp. Bassong)..

but we do need another experienced CB to alllow for injuries/suspensions etc.... and I think Arry will bring in Curtis Davies in p/x for either Keano or Bentley..
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 03:07:19 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 10:34:58 PM »
Not really a fan of Curtis Davis, seems like an average journey man to me. Lots of teams without really settling anywhere and never really shinning.

Miche Richards would be my choice.
COYS!

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 11:52:24 PM »
Not really a fan of Curtis Davis, seems like an average journey man to me. Lots of teams without really settling anywhere and never really shinning.

Totally agree Richards would be my first choice, but what about Jagielka may be a useful addition and better than Davies, Upson Etc......

??? ::) ??? ::) ???

‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Dom07Tottenham

• Hero: Gareth Bale
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 09:21:52 AM »
Ledley did manage 19 games last season, and played the last 4 or so, and a big part of our top 4 success, I just fear him, if he gets injured again could be the end of his career, I was very surprised with his England call up, not because of his quality just with the WC schedule I didn't think he would hold up, which he didn't, what did he play 20mins? We definitely need cover at CB, that is my point.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 09:23:44 AM by Dom07Tottenham »

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 10:34:14 AM »

Totally agree Richards would be my first choice, but what about Jagielka may be a useful addition and better than Davies, Upson Etc......

??? ::) ??? ::) ???
I don't think Moyes would sell Jagielka.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 11:35:36 AM »
Ledley did manage 19 games last season, and played the last 4 or so, and a big part of our top 4 success, I just fear him, if he gets injured again could be the end of his career, I was very surprised with his England call up, not because of his quality just with the WC schedule I didn't think he would hold up, which he didn't, what did he play 20mins? We definitely need cover at CB, that is my point.

But Ledley had a groin strain nothing to do with his knee !!!!! So I think Ledley was just a tad unlucky on that front anyway with him not playing for England may well of done us a favour.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 12:07:29 PM »
So Corluka plays a couple of games at CB, and suddenley all is lost, our CBs are going to get skinned every game and we're going to fail this season. Jesus F Christ people calm down. Charlie is a RB!!!! Ok Kaboul only filled in because Charlie was injured, he is NOT our first choice RB. For cryining out loud. For one of our Pre-Seaons games we had a back line full of RBs, so what its only pre-season, calm the Feck down. Daws, and Bassong/King did fine last season as a partnership. Yes Daws can occasionally get skinned by pace, thats why he has King/Basssong for a CB partner. As for Charlie, he may not be the fastest player on the planet but he reads the game well and thats what makes him a great RB, as for talk of Charlie hampering Lennons ability, what the hell are you on, do you light up a joint before you watch every match or something, Charlies part of the reason that Lennon has come on leaps and bounds.

Bloody hell lighten the frell up!!!!
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 12:15:32 PM »
So Corluka plays a couple of games at CB, and suddenley all is lost, our CBs are going to get skinned every game and we're going to fail this season. Jesus F Christ people calm down. Charlie is a RB!!!! Ok Kaboul only filled in because Charlie was injured, he is NOT our first choice RB. For cryining out loud. For one of our Pre-Seaons games we had a back line full of RBs, so what its only pre-season, calm the Feck down. Daws, and Bassong/King did fine last season as a partnership. Yes Daws can occasionally get skinned by pace, thats why he has King/Basssong for a CB partner. As for Charlie, he may not be the fastest player on the planet but he reads the game well and thats what makes him a great RB, as for talk of Charlie hampering Lennons ability, what the hell are you on, do you light up a joint before you watch every match or something, Charlies part of the reason that Lennon has come on leaps and bounds.

Bloody hell lighten the frell up!!!!

Here here, Well said !!!!!!

:up:

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 12:25:47 PM »
so in your great wisdom you'd have Dawson at right CB and Corluka as our RB..... probably the slowest rightside defence in the entire league...

we might get away with 1 of those in the team... but both playing alongside each other, thereby making it difficult to cover a large contiguous area for a lack of pace ??.... we'd deserve everything we get..

if as I think, Dawson will start at right CB then its imperative that he's covered on his right by the pace of Kaboul to compensate.... as well as King/Bassong to Dawson's left.....

I'd be shocked if Arry played both Dawson and Corluka in the same team anymore (unless forced to by injuries etc)