Jol: Berbatov Can Be Hot Spur

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
  • Season Ticket: No
« on: May 05, 2007, 08:59:54 AM »
Martin Jol believes Dimitar Berbatov can emulate Jurgen Klinsmann and Clive Allen by becoming a Tottenham goalscoring legend.

The Spurs boss is confident of keeping Berbatov at White Hart Lane and he expects the Bulgaria striker to build on his impressive rookie year in English football by leading the attack next season.

Jol feels there is more to come from his £10.9million signing and he can earn a place in Spurs folklore if he is part of a successful era for the club.

The Dutchman said: "Klinsmann was here in 98 and they were almost relegated. So what is a legend?

"Clive Allen scored 49 in a season. There is still a lot to improve with the team and with Dimitar, he can score 30 or 35 goals in all competitions.

"There is a lot more to come because he's such a good finisher."

Berbatov has overcome a tricky start since his move from Bayer Leverkusen last summer, and his 21 goals have led to a place in the PFA team of the year.

It has inevitably led to speculation linking the 26-year-old with the top clubs but Jol insists the Bulgaria international is not for sale.

Jol lost Michael Carrick to Manchester United last summer but the Dutchman is confident of keeping Berbatov, pointing to the healthy financial figures published earlier in the year meaning Spurs would not need to sell.

"I have no fears - from anybody or any circumstances," said Jol.

"The chairman wouldn't sanction it, even if I'd like to.

"We keep our best players 99% of the time over the last five or six years. I don't see any reason why we should. We made a lot of profit over the last six months and we don't have to sell players."

Other managers have been quick to praise Berbatov but Jol tries not to discuss his striker with his counterparts.

He added: "I don't want to talk about it with them because maybe they'd agree. I tell them he's lazy!"

im glad he is saying this but he day say similar things about carrick :g:

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 09:09:17 AM »
There will be speculation about berbatov from now until the transfer window closes.  I believe that we can hold on to him and that he will lead us to a top 4 finish next season

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 09:43:56 AM »
I don't want Berba to go either but I do agree he will lead us to a top four finsih next season which is the main priority.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 10:49:48 AM »
I would love to see him at this club for at least another 5 years but we can't be angry at him if he leaves. If we get together a stronger team next year i see no reason for him to leave