SpursNetwork

Jol's Euro Warning

Offline Daniisco

• http://spursnetwork.com
Jol's Euro Warning
« on: April 25, 2007, 08:36:16 PM »
Tottenham boss Martin Jol has warned his players that their summer break will be curtailed if they fail to secure a spot in next season's Uefa Cup.

The Dutch tactician has made it abundantly clear that he feels Spurs need to be playing in Europe every season.

Despite playing some of the most eye-catching football in the Premiership, Spurs have failed to turn the style into substance and are sat in ninth place with four games remaining in the campaign.

Seventh place would secure a spot in the Uefa Cup, but finishing any lower would facilitate a need to enter the Intertoto Cup.

"I have told the players that if we are in the Intertoto they will have to come back to training in June," Jol told the London Evening Standard.

"It's not a problem for me but if we finish in the top seven the players can come back in July.

"It's not a big difference - Newcastle did well in the Intertoto last year but they had to start their season earlier."

Wins over Middlesbrough, Charlton, Blackburn and Manchester City would see Spurs secure a place in Europe and Jol is aware their destiny is in their own hands.

"It's important we qualify for Europe so we will do everything in our power to get the points we need," the Dutchman added.

"We are level with Portsmouth and have a game in hand, so we have a great chance of getting in directly."

Good stuff from Jol. I'm sure the players would hate to start training in June. Let's hope this pushes them even more for a Euro spot.

Jol's Euro Warning
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 12:01:50 AM »
yeah I really don't want to have the whole bother of qualifying through intertoto. I'm sure the lads will put their all into the next four games, they deserve a proper break and so do us fans!

Offline Powerage

• Season Ticket: No
Jol's Euro Warning
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 01:21:56 AM »
Middlesbrough, Charlton, Blackburn and Manchester City

If we do not get AT LEAST 9 points from these games, I will be absolutely gutted. I think that says it all.

Jol's Euro Warning
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 05:29:16 PM »
we'll do it in these games. The boys won't want to come back for June

Jol's Euro Warning
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 05:46:09 PM »
hardly any travelling either so if we have to go into intertoto  it would be a real dissapointment