SpursNetwork

Jimmy Greaves

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 05:03:17 PM »
     I was fortunate enough to spend a Saturday evening after a game with both him and Alan Gilzean having a few drinks along with a few mates of mine, he was funny, very knowledgeable about the game and extremely entertaining as was Gilly. I like every other Spurs fan hope and pray that he makes a full and speedy recovery. He is and always will have a special place in my memory. Get well soon Jimmy you are indeed a Spurs LEGEND.  :nods: :nods: :nods:

Do you agree that in the past players like Jimmy Greaves were easily assessable? Now all we see of the stars is when they enter Bill Nicholson way in their posh and expensive cars. My dad used to tell me about the times when he popped on a bus, going to WHL, and on the same bus was Greaves, Nicholson and White. You will never see that nowadays.

Yes you are right, as Keith Burkinshaw famously said on leaving WHL " There used to be a football club there" Now there is just a business.

But if it never had become a business would we still exist as a club today? A top club. Look where we started, where the football league started. It has evolved, grew and adapted to a changing world.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2015, 08:20:01 AM »
I see the cost of Jimmy's rehab is £ 60,000. I for one would like to see Spurs foot the bill, or at least help raise the money. After all its about half what Adebayor & Soldado will get this week for doing pretty much jack s**t. Maybe a whip round in the dressing room would do the trick.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2015, 05:14:04 PM »
I see the cost of Jimmy's rehab is £ 60,000. I for one would like to see Spurs foot the bill, or at least help raise the money. After all its about half what Adebayor & Soldado will get this week for doing pretty much jack s**t. Maybe a whip round in the dressing room would do the trick.

I agree, he is not a rich man and Spurs do owe him something; i.e. being one of many players who helped build this club into what it is today.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 11:41:07 PM »
I totally agree with you guys!, he is a true Spurs legend and we should take care of our own!
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline Spursx

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »
Glad to hear that he is now doing well.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 08:05:11 AM »
Glad to hear that he is now doing well.

He is still in hospital, not well enough to return home, which he desperately wants to do. He has to have the rehab therapy which as I understand it is £60,000 but I believe that Spurs are doing something. I sent something to his fund raising agent and I imagine others have too, so fingers crossed.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »
I have just read an article by Norman Gillier, highlighting the inaction of Spurs regarding looking after former players who have been, or are in bad health, and without the money to do anything about their plight.
Terry Baker. Jimmy's  manager, has managed to raise 30,000 from donations, etc, which goes only part of the way towards the cost of his treatment. He is not in a good way, health wise or financially.
When you consider that Adebayor is on 100k a week for doing absolutely nothing, I think it is an absolute disgrace that a club as wealthy as Spurs seems to be doing nothing.
I wish there were some way to pass this message on to Mr Levy.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 04:29:59 PM »
I have just read an article by Norman Gillier, highlighting the inaction of Spurs regarding looking after former players who have been, or are in bad health, and without the money to do anything about their plight.
Terry Baker. Jimmy's  manager, has managed to raise 30,000 from donations, etc, which goes only part of the way towards the cost of his treatment. He is not in a good way, health wise or financially.
When you consider that Adebayor is on 100k a week for doing absolutely nothing, I think it is an absolute disgrace that a club as wealthy as Spurs seems to be doing nothing.

I am guessing, but I would imagine that Levy knows this. I think he is trying to juggle building a new stadium with building a new team. Unfortunately, (for somebody) they both go together. Without a great team we will not fill the stadium and if we cannot fill the stadium then we will not get our investment back; a catch 22.

You say wealthy; we are wealthy in the sense in what we own and our stadium worth, but cash worthy is a different matter. According to come sources, we are going to struggle buying because of the building of the new stadium. I think Levy is looking long term; i.e. the stadium needs to come first, followed by team building and then greatness.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RSS61

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 08:15:34 AM »

I am guessing, but I would imagine that Levy knows this. I think he is trying to juggle building a new stadium with building a new team. Unfortunately, (for somebody) they both go together. Without a great team we will not fill the stadium and if we cannot fill the stadium then we will not get our investment back; a catch 22.

You say wealthy; we are wealthy in the sense in what we own and our stadium worth, but cash worthy is a different matter. According to come sources, we are going to struggle buying because of the building of the new stadium. I think Levy is looking long term; i.e. the stadium needs to come first, followed by team building and then greatness.

Voice, I think that you are missing my point. All I am saying is that for the price of Adebayor's wages, we could pay for the likes of Jimmy Greaves to have some kind of comfort in their lives.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 03:58:14 PM »

Voice, I think that you are missing my point. All I am saying is that for the price of Adebayor's wages, we could pay for the likes of Jimmy Greaves to have some kind of comfort in their lives.

Fair point, and yes. I think when they took on his wages they thought they were going to get another top goal scorer. Now they are desperate to off load him.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Don

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 04:26:18 PM »

Howdy R,

Don't get me started on Jimmy Greaves. One of the finest players that ever put on a Spurs and England shirt. What would he be worth today with all this crazy money going around? And would we be able to keep him?

I thought, like everybody else, that purchasing Adebayor we would have a good quality player and all we got was trouble. He seems more interested in the money side that actually showing us his craft. We've gone from the first £100 player to stupidity. And in those days they would rather play for nothing than take their money home unfairly.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 01:15:19 PM »
Just read that £25,000 was raised at Stevenage last Friday. Apparently Jimmy has been told that he may never walk again, and his speech is impaired.
Tragic quite honestly, and I find it hard to believe that it is still left to various individuals to try to raise money to help him.
Surely, as we and Chelsea were his main 2 clubs, they could do something. Disgraceful.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 04:11:54 PM »
Just read that £25,000 was raised at Stevenage last Friday. Apparently Jimmy has been told that he may never walk again, and his speech is impaired.
Tragic quite honestly, and I find it hard to believe that it is still left to various individuals to try to raise money to help him.
Surely, as we and Chelsea were his main 2 clubs, they could do something. Disgraceful.

Do we know that Chelsea and Spurs aren't helping? Yes, £25,000 was raised, but the clubs could have contributed in other ways; let us hope so.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do