SpursNetwork

Gareth Bale

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Gareth Bale
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2013, 10:01:52 AM »
So, what did you think of Bale's performance yesterday? I think he looked somewhat jaded. As did the rest of the midfield.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2013, 10:33:22 AM »
We didnt impact at all on Lyon as I thought we would, i often find that when the team has a break our first game back is poo.

Luckily we had a spot of brilliance from Dembele that put us through, for me though the main priority has to be the EPL and finishing well within the top 4.
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2013, 11:58:22 AM »
I thought the whole team were rubbish in the 1st half. Walker seemed to lose the plot, and their winger did his best to get him sent off. Poor defending for their goal, once again. After that, Lyon didn't want to plat at all. They sat deep with 2 banks of 4 and we were unable to get near their goal. Parker and Dembele were very sloppy with their passing, Lennon was nowhere to be found, Adebayor asleep again. Holtby looked bright again in 1st half, but tired later I thought. Because Bale was central we had no width at all. Friedal looked rusty I thought, no surprise really.

I dont know what AVB said at half time, but we looked much better in 2nd half. With BAE pushing forward, and and even Ade seemed to be slightly better. What a goal !! if only Dembele could do this sort of thing more often, its almost as if he never had the confidence to burst through and shoot like that until the game was all but over and no risk. Lets hope its the beginning of something good for him.

On that note, I think the important thing was that we didn't get beaten, which is a good habit to form. Our players would have returned home deflated had we got knocked out, whereas now they should be all fired up for the game at West Ham. Also 2 games against Inter to come, all in all a good day for us I believe.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2013, 04:42:21 PM »
I thought Spurs overall performance was good. They were a much better team than Lyon. They deserved their win. I agree with the manager; if Spurs can beat Inter Milan there is no reason why we can't go all the way.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 07:03:02 AM »
I find it so disrespectful to Spurs when people are saying that Bale would fit in at Real Madrid, Barcelona or ManU. Yes, they are bigger clubs, but we're not third tier outfits ourselves. All these pundits, managers and journalists should just try to shut up and stop unsettling our prize asset.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 12:54:25 PM »
I find it so disrespectful to Spurs when people are saying that Bale would fit in at Real Madrid, Barcelona or ManU. Yes, they are bigger clubs, but we're not third tier outfits ourselves. All these pundits, managers and journalists should just try to shut up and stop unsettling our prize asset.

Thats the annoying thing media pundits and other "pros" seem to always treat us like we are a lesser club and when we have players who light up the footi stage they always talk about fitting in and moves to the "big" glory clubs.

I am sure the players and team mates find such talk unsettling that is only natural.
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline StartingPrice

• Mark my words...summits gonna happen!
  • Hero: Mabbs
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 12:34:46 PM »

Thats the annoying thing media pundits and other "pros" seem to always treat us like we are a lesser club and when we have players who light up the footi stage they always talk about fitting in and moves to the "big" glory clubs.

I am sure the players and team mates find such talk unsettling that is only natural.

I think it is a time-lag thing - they still live in a World where we are mid-table, while Liverpool are nailed-on for CL qualification. Things have changed...radically. We have the best youth set-up in England (according to no less than Liam Brady), with multiple exciting prospects, a state-of-the-art training centre, an exciting young squad, a new and greatly increased capacity stadium underway, innovative club relationships, a first-rate (IMHO, anyway) young coach, a chairman as shrewd as they come, and have finsihed 4th, 5th, 4th and are currently third. Maybe if we keep this going for another 4 - 5 years they will catch up with the new reality  ::)
If you can't change the World, change yourself...and if you can't change yourself, then, change the World.

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »

I think it is a time-lag thing - they still live in a World where we are mid-table, while Liverpool are nailed-on for CL qualification. Things have changed...radically. We have the best youth set-up in England (according to no less than Liam Brady), with multiple exciting prospects, a state-of-the-art training centre, an exciting young squad, a new and greatly increased capacity stadium underway, innovative club relationships, a first-rate (IMHO, anyway) young coach, a chairman as shrewd as they come, and have finsihed 4th, 5th, 4th and are currently third. Maybe if we keep this going for another 4 - 5 years they will catch up with the new reality  ::)

Good points, one way or the other we are on the up.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 05:04:21 PM »
Jealousy comes into this in a big way. Today Rio Bale found it difficult to compliment Bale which I find quite sad as he left him standing on a couple of occasions this season. I dare say that if Bale was at ManU, he would have been the best winger on the planet!

We are a big club yet if compared with BM, RM, Barca etc, but we are certainly not minnows and if we can keep up our present form as someone just mentioned we could be there in 3/4 years time.

This coming game against the Arse at the Lane is an absolute must win in order to raise our present status. If we lose or draw... well you know what will happen!

Offline StartingPrice

• Mark my words...summits gonna happen!
  • Hero: Mabbs
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 11:18:01 PM »

We have an exciting young squad, that's for sure - but I am, if anything, more excited by what is going on in the youth set-up  :up:
If you can't change the World, change yourself...and if you can't change yourself, then, change the World.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 09:50:28 AM »

We have an exciting young squad, that's for sure - but I am, if anything, more excited by what is going on in the youth set-up  :up:

As we stand at the moment the future looks bright.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.