SpursNetwork

Gareth Bale

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Gareth Bale
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 04:51:15 PM »
I am sure he will stay, more so if we finish in the top 4 and are in Europe.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 07:28:46 AM »
I am sure he will stay, more so if we finish in the top 4 and are in Europe.

The problem is, I think, that he is on around 80 - 100 K. Now lets suppose that any one of the top European sides, or Man Utd / City come in with a 50 million offer, and give him a 4 year deal on 200 K, which is a distinct possibility, then what will be the outcome ?

Our one and only hope is CL football next year, resist the 50 mill, give him a big pay rise, and spend another 50 mill instead to bring in the quality we need to tempt Bale to stay.

Do we have that kind of ambition ? Probably not.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »

I think we have the ambition to succeed, but lack the finance to be able to do anything about it at top level.

Spending that kind of money sets precedents which, should we fail to secure a CL spot every season,  would be impossible to maintain for our club under its present form.

Our club hasn't won anything of any value for years and it would take a complete turn around of strategy from our chairman in terms of expenditure to be in a position to compete for a top 2 spot. I think we know this will never happen until we secure additional major funds.

We also have to fund a new stadium costing millions. So, the questions are:

Which one come first:  raising our existing players salaries and getting new ones at high buying costs or remain in our present position until the new stadium is complete without going deep in the red?

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 04:30:01 PM »

I disagree, but it is also down to finance. I was reading an article or update on the new stadium and it said that one of the reasons of building a bigger stadium is so that they can compete with the likes of Ars*nal, United, City and Chelsea and I agree. I have no doubt that Levy is ambitious for Spurs, however, he has to work within realist means. Saying all that Spurs have done well over the last couple of seasons and I see (and hope) that with AVB we can build on that. But only time will tell. Until we can observe more we should back the board, manager and players.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 04:31:29 PM »

I think we have the ambition to succeed, but lack the finance to be able to do anything about it at top level.

Spending that kind of money sets precedents which, should we fail to secure a CL spot every season,  would be impossible to maintain for our club under its present form.

Our club hasn't won anything of any value for years and it would take a complete turn around of strategy from our chairman in terms of expenditure to be in a position to compete for a top 2 spot. I think we know this will never happen until we secure additional major funds.

Which one come first:  raising our existing players salaries and getting new ones at high buying costs or remain in our present position until the new stadium is complete without going deep in the red?

What is important is that we get a new, bigger and modern stadium. At the same time we've got to continue our momentum. A juggling act is needed.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RSS61

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 07:49:46 AM »

What is important is that we get a new, bigger and modern stadium. At the same time we've got to continue our momentum. A juggling act is needed.

Personally I have always supported AVB and I think he is doing a good job. One area that we seem to go wrong in again and again is the purchase of players for 5 - 15 million at a time who for one reason or another dont work out. Its a very long list over the last 10 or 15 years. The latest ones being Dempsey and Adebayor, we still seem to be making these mistakes.
Hopefully Holtby will be an example of a new direction with our scouting, maybe the arrival of Steffan Freund has opened up a new channel there.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »
Voice,
         In one breath you say that Spurs have been doing well the last few seasons, and we have to continue our momentum, which were under one H Redknapp, and in the next you say that he(H Redknapp) was a crap coach and had taken the Club as far as he could, with, I hasten to add, little or no help from Mr Levy. You can't have it both ways. You expect everyone to back the board when it is clear that they(the board) are not prepared to back the Manager(whether it be AVB now or Harry previously) by investing in new players(by that I mean quality players) to strengthen our squad so that we can compete with the so-called elite teams and in doing so retain our Star players eg. Gareth Bale.
        Personally I think that if we are to become what we all want, and that is for Spurs to become a major player in the Domestic and European Competitions, that it is time for Levy to employ someone else to do the transfer negotiations and take a back seat, because clearly he is not up to it, and by that I mean he is adding players, whilst not necessarily buying players that are improving and strengthening the squad.

:nope: :nope: :nope:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 09:08:11 AM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »

Personally I have always supported AVB and I think he is doing a good job. One area that we seem to go wrong in again and again is the purchase of players for 5 - 15 million at a time who for one reason or another dont work out. Its a very long list over the last 10 or 15 years. The latest ones being Dempsey and Adebayor, we still seem to be making these mistakes.
Hopefully Holtby will be an example of a new direction with our scouting, maybe the arrival of Steffan Freund has opened up a new channel there.
I think people are being unfair on Dempsey. He joined last summer, has mostly been played out of position and so far has scored 8 goals for us. Some of these goals have been crucial. Only Bale (17) and Defoe (14) have scored more. It seems that Dempsey is just another player who simply cannot do right. Darren Bent was another one, bloody hell, even the manager patronized him. And Crouch... anyway, there have always been players who for Spurs fans are 'not good enough'.

And we're not the only ones who make transfers that don't quite work out. That risk is always there and there have been much higher-profile players who have flopped at different clubs for different reasons.

PS I'm yet to understand what they mean by good enough.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:13:56 PM by RiffHard »

Offline RSS61

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »

I think people are being unfair on Dempsey. He joined last summer, has mostly been played out of position and so far has scored 8 goals for us. Some of these goals have been crucial. Only Bale (17) and Defoe (14) have scored more. It seems that Dempsey is just another player who simply cannot do right. Darren Bent was another one, bloody hell, even the manager patronized him. And Crouch... anyway, there have always been players who for Spurs fans are 'not good enough'.

And we're not the only ones who make transfers that don't quite work out. That risk is always there and there have been much higher-profile players who have flopped at different clubs for different reasons.

PS I'm yet to understand what they mean by good enough.

I would classify good enough as in good enough to have a chance of getting into the teams of the current top 3, as that is where we aspire to be.

This excludes Darren Bent and Clint Dempsey.

Our current players who fall in that category IMO are Lloris and Bale, and then possibly Walker, Verthonghen, Lennon, Dembele, Sandro.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 04:10:53 PM »
Voice,
         In one breath you say that Spurs have been doing well the last few seasons, and we have to continue our momentum, which were under one H Redknapp, and in the next you say that he(H Redknapp) was a crap coach and had taken the Club as far as he could, with, I hasten to add, little or no help from Mr Levy. You can't have it both ways.
Yes I can. First of all I didn’t say he was a crap coach, but I did say he took us as far as he coul go. Redknapp was brought in for a reason; and he did a good job. Now we must move on and I think we can do that with AVB (from what I’ve seen so far).

You expect everyone to back the board when it is clear that they(the board) are not prepared to back the Manager(whether it be AVB now or Harry previously) by investing in new players(by that I mean quality players) to strengthen our squad so that we can compete with the so-called elite teams and in doing so retain our Star players eg. Gareth Bale.
And what proof have you got that Mr Levy hasn’t backed AVB? He bought players that Harry wanted; the last season was different as he knew Harry was going to go so wasn’t prepared to waste money (and I agree with that). As for this season; AVB, himself said that he didn’t want any more players; even though Mr Levy tried to buy another striker. AVB said he was happy with his squad. Whether this squad is sufficient or not only time will tell; which will be at the end of the season. That is the real test, not half way through a season; a half way season I might add where we are sitting 4th and a point behind third place and not far off Second place.

As for Gareth Bale; he is still here and hasn’t been told. Don’t be gullible and believe everything you read in the papers.

Personally I think that if we are to become what we all want, and that is for Spurs to become a major player in the Domestic and European Competitions, that it is time for Levy to employ someone else to do the transfer negotiations and take a back seat, because clearly he is not up to it, and by that I mean he is adding players, whilst not necessarily buying players that are improving and strengthening the squad.
 :nope: :nope: :nope:

As I said to you before and here; what decides whether he has made a right decision or not is what our position will be at the end of the season. Granted Mr Levy has made mistakes in the past (i.e. appointing some crap managers) but over the last couple of years he has made some good decisions. Saying all that we do need more money to come into the club and building a new club will help.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »

I would classify good enough as in good enough to have a chance of getting into the teams of the current top 3, as that is where we aspire to be.

Our current players who fall in that category IMO are Lloris and Bale, and then possibly Walker, Verthonghen, Lennon, Dembele, Sandro.

To that list I would add Parker(even at his age) kaboul (when fit) Dawson and dare I say Holtby, who, if not yet, will no doubt become one of our better players.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »

To that list I would add Parker(even at his age) kaboul (when fit) Dawson and dare I say Holtby, who, if not yet, will no doubt become one of our better players.

For me Sandro gets the nod ahead of Parker, and agree with Kaboul ( if he comes back as good as last season ) and Holtby. He looks a gem at 1.5 mill.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 12:34:43 PM »

For me Sandro gets the nod ahead of Parker, and agree with Kaboul ( if he comes back as good as last season ) and Holtby. He looks a gem at 1.5 mill.

I would also add BAE there arent many LB better than him in the EPL and since his return from injury he is looking like the player he was last season.
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »
People, please, don't get all personal again. This thread is supposed to be about Gareth Bale. Harry Redknapp has been the manager of QPR for four months now and hasn't been our manager since June? Why are you people still talking about him?

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2013, 09:25:16 AM »
Cant we just stick to debating and sharing opinions instead of attacks on others??????? :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

This type of thing is wrecking this site and no doubt the route cause for certain past regulars no longer posting !!!

Hell I am getting fed up with discussing HR thats way in the past now so why why is that still being brought up, old ground or what, in addition to the personal crap that keeps going on talk about BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!