SpursNetwork

Bill Nicholson: football: perfectionist by Brian Scovell

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Bill Nicholson: football: perfectionist by Brian Scovell
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:12:43 PM »
Bill Nicholson: football: perfectionist by Brian Scovell.

This is an excellent biography by Scovell. He looks at his early life, coming from up north and then joining Spurs at a young age. He then worked through the ranks at Spurs. Bill only played one England international (it was Billy Wright who kept him out) but he did record the fast goal in his or anybody’s debut. That record still holds to this day. Nicholson was in the famous Spurs bush and run team that won the league in 1951. From there he became assistant to Anderson, Spurs manager. As manager of Spurs (replacing Anderson), and in his first game, his Spurs beat Everton 10-4. From that he built a strong base/ Spurs team that eventually captured the double (league & FA Cup) in season 1960-1. The year after he won the FA cup again, this time with Greaves as his striker. In 1963 Spurs become the first British club to win a European trophy. Spurs beat Atletico Madrid. In 1967 Nicholson’s Spurs beat Tommy Docherty’s Chelsea. It was known as the first London final. In the 70’s he won the League Cup twice and the Uefa championship by beating Wolves. Becoming the first man to win two European trophies. He played again in the Uefa cup final, this time against Feynoord... but Spurs lost under one of football’s worse cases of hooliganism. After that he retired as manager.

This book also looks at the famous Spurs players under him, how he managed his team... and how he was always the gentleman. Many Spurs players pay tribute to his managerial skills.

This is an excellent and enjoyable book to read of one of the greatest Spurs managers through the clubs history.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.