SpursNetwork

4 points from United, but what have we missed?

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
  • Season Ticket: No
4 points from United, but what have we missed?
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:08:45 PM »
Thought I was going to be talking about how unlucky we were not to have gotten at least a point. We stiffled United to only 2 chances but looked like that was enough to get all 3 points. However, through guts and determination we pulled off a complete role reversal. Getting a goal in the final seconds was the least we deserved. In fact I think we could have had all 3 points. Well done all the fans that were able to be there and show your support in pretty nasty conditions. The team paid back some of your loyalty.

Now although we managed to get a point I still think that game highlights more than ever, what we have missed, we need to have more quality options. United had only 2 chances, but because of their quality they were able to take one. Whereas, we dominate in certain areas of the pitch, create chances against the top side in the country and in the dying seconds we finally took one.

Now I am in no way taking away from a well earned point, but surely if we just took a chance, just once maybe on getting the best, maybe we could beat the best. It isn't rocket science. I know that AVB came out with the same phrases Harry did about not needing anyone etc. and that is important if you want the current players to know you have faith in them, but he must be asking Levy for some funds in private. If we had signed RVP in the summer I think we would be in the top two, simple.
Maybe next year...

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
Re: 4 points from United, but what have we missed?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:07:25 PM »
I have been saying we need a clinical striker since Berbatov left but while we sit and make do others snap up the top quality players- Ba, Sturridge, Remy, we have been linked with all three and still Mr Levy will not splash the cash !!!! 'Arry asked for a defender and top striker to push on last january and Levy got him Nelson and saha both on frees !!!!!
The limit of Mr Levy's ambition seems to be 4th place and credit to AVB he is delivering that and the more games we play the more I can see what he's trying to do, Personality wise I'm not his biggest fan but he seems to have grasped the footballing side that is expected at WHL so fair play !!!
I hate to say it but I can't see Levy going out and buying a top striker in January, he never has really splashed the cash at this time of the year and if he does spend it will at about 5 to 12 on the 31st and will probably be a half arse attempt at what we really need !!!
One last thing how much are we missing Van der Vaart in the hole behind Defoe ?

:tickedoff:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:20:25 PM »
UGS

We were good today and AVB showed how well he can organise our lads.

Whislt I agree that we badly need this striker, your comments about Levy are pure speculation. Neither you or I know what he will do in the remaining days of this window.

Cheer up a bit!      :up:

Offline pieboy

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:41:18 PM »
4 pts from Man U, I would take that every day of the week matey.
I don't think we be bringing in a Striker this Window, Togo probably be Knocked out by the end of the week and Ade be back for the close of the window.

Just a complete guess here, but I think AVB would want a creative Midfeilder. Doubt we will splash the cash, so this is a long shot, but maybe Sneijader on loan with his wages subsidised? haha
Levy is sure to try something on the deadline day.

Offline pieboy

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:51:55 PM »
For all those already missing Ade

Adebayor featured in Power Horse Commercial

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 08:09:19 AM »
I think that VDV is the biggest miss for us this season. Someone to unlock tight defences through the middle when Lennon, and in particular Bale, are being marked out of games. Bearing in mind, he also popped up with 15 + goals as I remember.

Offline Yiddite

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:05:08 AM »
Had more space to work in when attacking as ManU play attacking fluid
football as well. So more chances which weren't taken.

Hence the draw but still a good point gained.

Offline a12 warrior

• Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 09:31:11 AM »
To get to the next level Spurs need a proven striker, problem is they wont pay the price or give the wage's so have to make do with average strikers.

Bit of a harsh statement but true

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 12:09:25 PM »
Joolz,
     While Ugs comments about Mr Levy may well be pure speculation, you would have to agree that Levy does have previous, he does have a habit of not wanting to spend money in January, and if he doesn't it could well cost us a place in the CL at the end of the year, we are in desperate need of another striker and a quality playmaker. If Defoe/Ade or Dempsey get injured we are stuffed, and they haven't really replaced either Modric or VDV have they, I still think it was a big mistake letting VDV go.

:nods: :nods: :nods:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:11:34 PM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:35:54 PM »
I agree with all of the above points but its not as easy as we all think . The top quality players , the ones that mean the difference between champions league and nowhere aren`t readily available in january as their clubs don`t want to lose them halfway through the season .We can`t expect to compete with chelsea , city and utd until we get a billionaire investor and levy isn`t showing any signs of wanting to hand over the reigns .So , the top quality players go where the wages are and that aint spurs .
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 01:14:47 PM »
I agree with all of the above points but its not as easy as we all think . The top quality players , the ones that mean the difference between champions league and nowhere aren`t readily available in january as their clubs don`t want to lose them halfway through the season .We can`t expect to compete with chelsea , city and utd until we get a billionaire investor and levy isn`t showing any signs of wanting to hand over the reigns .So , the top quality players go where the wages are and that aint spurs .

Yes you are right. Top quality strikers mostly want a move up, not sideways. For example, RVP moved to one of the top 2 sides for 24 mill and is probably on £ 200 k. Thats what we are up against.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 01:16:13 PM »
Joolz,
     While Ugs comments about Mr Levy may well be pure speculation, you would have to agree that Levy does have previous, he does have a habit of not wanting to spend money in January, and if he doesn't it could well cost us a place in the CL at the end of the year, we are in desperate need of another striker and a quality playmaker. If Defoe/Ade or Dempsey get injured we are stuffed, and they haven't really replaced either Modric or VDV have they, I still think it was a big mistake letting VDV go.

All very true, Levy is not famous for spending money and we miss VDV and Modric. All I was saying is that none of us have a clue about what is going on behind the scenes. I could speculate that we could be in talks with a couple of big names and I would be as good an assumption as UGS.  I prefer to believe that, and that Levy will see our potential and with AVB's results so far, he will spend some of the profits from last year's sales to buy a playmaker and a striker.

As yidmafioso states above, there are not many clubs willing to let key players go half way through the season. So let's wait and see and look at it in a positive way. There may well be a last minute surprise on Jan 31st

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 05:36:45 PM »
The first half I think United deserved their goal. But the second half was a different game.
23- 6 to Spurs On shots
18- 4 to Spurs on target
9- 4 to Spurs on Corners.
7- 14 with United winning on the foul department.

It would have been totally criminal if we didn’t go home with something. We were far superior in the second half. Three 1 to us should have been a more just result. Spurs battled without giving up. A really good second half. The other good result was Ars*nal losing but a draw would probably have been better for us.

When I get a chance I’ll put some pictures up.

One other note of interest; Beckham was behind us – in one of the boxes – with his son.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 07:17:13 PM »
Joolz,

I agree with the above, but what makes this even more frustrating is that we have all known about this gap for a few years now. So saying Levy doesn't like to splash out in January is like saying I want Ars*nal to lose on a Tuesday. If Levy was so opposed to spending in January, maybe he should have made more of an effort in the summer. Or at the very least should be thinking -

'Now last year when Harry wanted to strengthen the side with quality and instead I gave him odd job and whoopsie daisy. Well, our season went to pot. So maybe this year I will learn from my past mistakes and try to ensure that doesn't happen again.'
Maybe next year...

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 07:28:32 PM »
Joolz,

I agree with the above, but what makes this even more frustrating is that we have all known about this gap for a few years now. So saying Levy doesn't like to splash out in January is like saying I want Ars*nal to lose on a Tuesday. If Levy was so opposed to spending in January, maybe he should have made more of an effort in the summer. Or at the very least should be thinking -

'Now last year when Harry wanted to strengthen the side with quality and instead I gave him odd job and whoopsie daisy. Well, our season went to pot. So maybe this year I will learn from my past mistakes and try to ensure that doesn't happen again.'

But don’t think that AVB and Mr Levy know this? I am sure there is a lot going on behind the scenes. If for some reason they don’t buy maybe it is because they can’t get the right players or there are some other reasons we don’t know about. As fans we try to take a superior view that we are the ones who know and the manager and directors haven’t got a clue. If that, however, is the case then it doesn’t say much about those fans who support their team but are very critical. Maybe they’ve just got money to burn. Nonetheless I prefer to take the view that not all fans are as smart as they think they are. I am sure that those behind the scenes are aware of the situation and will take appropriate action.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.