SpursNetwork

King could retire at the end of the season

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
King could retire at the end of the season
« on: September 28, 2011, 08:23:11 AM »
Found article on Daily Mail where Ledley King has come out and said that he could quit football at the end of the season should the Spurs not give him a new contract.

'You can never say never in football, but I can't see myself pulling on a shirt for anybody else at this stage of my career.'

As much as I'd love him to stay, I cannot see this working out unless he stays fit. I also cannot and would not want to see him play for somebody else. They could easily find him a job with Spurs and I doubt he would turn it down.

Nevertheless I hope he can stay fit this season and earn himself a new contract.

Offline PaulInRome

Re: King could retire at the end of the season
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:13:39 PM »
You've got to be sorry for the guy. If he'd kept fit, he'd be a fixture in the England team, and by now we'd have probably have sold him to Real Madrid of Barcelona for a bucketful of money.

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »
I'd like him to stay on for at least another year. Definitely wouldn't want to see him play for anyone else.

I suppose it could also depend on whether we are still interested in Cahill, although Bassong was supposedly heading to QPR until the Cahill deal fell through.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 07:47:11 PM »
I think alot will ride on his fitness this season, they seem to be able to manage his knee so he can play once a week. The problem is if Ledley can avoid all the other niggly little injurys that he has been picking up and keep playing the one game a week, if he can manage that then I don't see a problem with the club giving him another 1 year contract.

Which ever way if he retires or carries on he has been a superb servant to our club and I wish him well !!!!!

:up:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion