SpursNetwork

King & Woodgate

Offline aspursfan

• Season Ticket: No
King & Woodgate
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:46:09 PM »
I've felt at times this season that it's time to let King and Woodgate go and work on establishing a back 4 for the future. The thing is though that these last two games really shows how much better we play when King plays. It's so much easier to think about letting him go when he's out for a while.

I now think we have to keep King because his inclusion makes me and apparently the other players on the pitch feel much more comfortable! To be honest it's the same with Woodgate, but I don't know if we can keep two players on with these types of injuries. I was really hoping Woodgate would be able to get fit because King and Woodgate make a fantastic partnership. I'm not even sure where Woodgate is now as far as fitness. Does anyone know?

What do you think about King and Woodgate. Should we keep them, or one just one of them, or is it time to look to the future?
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
Re: King & Woodgate
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 12:35:58 AM »
I've felt at times this season that it's time to let King and Woodgate go and work on establishing a back 4 for the future. The thing is though that these last two games really shows how much better we play when King plays. It's so much easier to think about letting him go when he's out for a while.

I now think we have to keep King because his inclusion makes me and apparently the other players on the pitch feel much more comfortable! To be honest it's the same with Woodgate, but I don't know if we can keep two players on with these types of injuries. I was really hoping Woodgate would be able to get fit because King and Woodgate make a fantastic partnership. I'm not even sure where Woodgate is now as far as fitness. Does anyone know?

What do you think about King and Woodgate. Should we keep them, or one just one of them, or is it time to look to the future?
I think Woodgate is going to be released as his contract is up in July. King will either retire and become club ambassador or will continue as he is... I love both players but it is time to move on.

Offline Spurs218

• Hero: Zokora
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:23:25 AM »
Woodgate need to go I'm afraid, we simply cant have another season like the one we've just has. He'll always be a Spurs great in my eyes because of that goal.

I'm still unsure with King, part of me thinks it's time to move on and just give him a coaching role but after seeing him against Liverpool and Brum I wouldn't mind seeing him have another year.

Both Spurs greats though but we need a reliable back four.
"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

RIP: Sir Bill Nicholson

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »
Time for Woodgate to go I'm afraid, even if he regains fitness now he won't be the same player after such a long lay off especially at the age of 31, if he was 24/25 then maybe but not at 31. King I feel has mastered his knee problem and seems to be able to cope with that but it's the other injuries that he's picking up that's his problem now and they are stopping him playing a once a week schedule, if he could avoid the other problems then I think he could play a part next season. If he does though this will cause another problem of inconsistency at the back, something we have suffered from this season and this then causes a new set of problems with players not adapting to playing with different partnerships etc.

It really is a tough one but if I look at the facts in the cold light of day then I think it is probably time for them to both go, and probably go with Dawson and Gallas next season with Kaboul as back up.

:nods:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Holtspur

• Hero: Ricky Villa
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:00:47 AM »
I think Woody's time at WHL is at an end. With the 25 man rule, he wont get a game. King has shown what a difference he makes when he's on the pitch - I'd forgotten how well we play when he's there in the middle with Daws - keep him!

Offline Derry-Yid

• Hero: Teddy Sheringham
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »
Woodgate has signed for Stoke on a pay-as-you-play deal...didn't we offer him a pay-as-you-play deal and he turned it down?
"It's been my life, Tottenham Hotspur,
and I love the club."

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
Levy proably offered him a gentlemens agreement lol  :up:
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:30:52 PM »
All the best to Woody, I hope he can stay fit and help his new club.

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 09:02:11 PM »
And when he plays against us our lot will know exactly where to kick him.  :dance:

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 09:25:21 PM »
And when he plays against us our lot will know exactly where to kick him.  :dance:
Harsh  :lol:
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline patt

• The Real Martin Jol
  • Hero: Gazza
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
i just hope bits of woody aint falling off all over The Britannia Stadium pitch! that wont be a pretty sight!

Offline Derry-Yid

• Hero: Teddy Sheringham
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 02:48:06 PM »
Tottenham defender Ledley King has had successful knee surgery, the club have confirmed on their website.

King underwent an arthroscopy on his left knee on Monday and is expected to return to training at the start of August.

The 30-year-old England international currently struggles to play more than one game a week because of knee injuries that also limit his training.

King only managed nine appearances for Tottenham last season.

The surgery rules the defender out of the club's pre-season tour to South Africa, which begins on Wednesday.
The central defender has been troubled by chronic knee problems throughout his career.

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp has previously expressed his concern that the fitness of King is deteriorating even further.

"The defender is expected to rest for up to 10 days before progressing to full activity within a further 10 days," said a Spurs statement.
"It's been my life, Tottenham Hotspur,
and I love the club."

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 04:22:46 PM »
They havent played since May. Why on earth is he only now having this op ? Surely he should have had it before he went on holiday, if he is serious about playing football?  He will now miss most of the pre-season and be well behind the others when the season starts.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 04:57:52 PM »
Beggars belief indeed.

Offline COYSacrossthepond

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »
They havent played since May. Why on earth is he only now having this op ? Surely he should have had it before he went on holiday, if he is serious about playing football?  He will now miss most of the pre-season and be well behind the others when the season starts.

This is one of many situations i've noticed over the past few years where it seems like the players and our training room staff have bungled what should be a pretty common sense thing; huddlestone being rushed back after a late surgery, ledley not having surgery ASAP.

Makes me think Levy is cutting costs having 14 year olds tape up our players before games. Scary.