SpursNetwork

Jermaine Defoe

Offline aspursfan

• Season Ticket: No
Jermaine Defoe
« on: April 21, 2011, 11:27:46 PM »
Do you think there has been a falling out with him or something?

I have to admit I was really disappointed when Defoe came out a few months ago (I think it was) talking about how he was considering quitting when he wasn't being picked for big games. This was when he hadn't scored a goal in about 30 years and Crouch was scoring for fun in the CL.

"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
Re: Jermaine Defoe
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:46:15 AM »
There seems to be a problem with footbalers these days - they are not prepared to fight for their spot. Instead they go whining to the media...

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 03:59:32 AM »
I dont think there has been a falling out as quite rightly he shouldnt be picked!

At the moment it seems Arry has grown a set and dropped him as both Pav and Crouch are doing nicely and dare I say it could build a decent strike partnership (much as I hate Crouch sumin is working ok for us) the current signs are good.  I was getting sick of Defoe getting the nod with his shocking form time and time again.

I remember how Defoe was when he couldnt break the Berb/Keane partnership, he wasnt first choice and lost interest, he looked like he couldnt be arsed to put in any effort and TBH we shouldnt have brought him back!

Over rated big time and not a clinical finisher!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Holtspur

• Hero: Ricky Villa
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 08:11:23 AM »
Trouble with Defoe is that he probably thinks he just has to put his boots on and he will get in the side. He is way too incostistent. There is no doubting that he has bags of talent, but he is lacking the killer form he had last season

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 12:44:38 PM »
I dont think there has been a falling out as quite rightly he shouldnt be picked!

At the moment it seems Arry has grown a set and dropped him as both Pav and Crouch are doing nicely and dare I say it could build a decent strike partnership (much as I hate Crouch sumin is working ok for us) the current signs are good.  I was getting sick of Defoe getting the nod with his shocking form time and time again.

I remember how Defoe was when he couldnt break the Berb/Keane partnership, he wasnt first choice and lost interest, he looked like he couldnt be arsed to put in any effort and TBH we shouldnt have brought him back!

Yea, but the thing is he went all that time without scoring and Redknapp kept picking him when most of us were scratching our heads. Then he goes and scores two and that's when Redknapp leaves him out? I think perhaps Redknapp does not think he's right for our tougher games.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline JohnLaceysDiscopants

• Hero: GLENN HODDLE
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 01:29:57 PM »

Couldnt agree more lets be clear if we want to be mixing it with the big boys year in year out defoe doesnt cut the mustard at this level we want to be at so its time too cut him loose in the summer and get in some serious firepower for next season which in truth could be make or break as regards where spurs intend to be for the foreseeable future its time too s**t or get off the pot COYS .                                                   

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »
The whole thing is mixed messages...........very confusing!

Offline Spurs218

• Hero: Zokora
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 09:26:30 PM »
No falling out, we've just realised he's s**t.
"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

RIP: Sir Bill Nicholson

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 03:16:30 AM »

Shame it took us another re-signing to reailse that ........ again
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 06:53:57 AM »

Shame it took us another re-signing to reailse that ........ again

Transfer news: Mido returns!

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 07:31:03 AM »
A bold statement there. A player does not become s**t overnight. But for some fans he seems to be last season's hero and this season's zero. His form is bad, I agree, but he is definitely one of the best strikers in EPL. The problem with him is that instead of getting his head down and working harder, he went babbling to the media which is always a bad idea.

Offline Spurs218

• Hero: Zokora
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 09:01:37 AM »
Your correct, he doesn't come bad overnight, he's been terrible for over a year now. I'm fed up about hearing that he's out of form. Out of form for over a year? 2 premier league goals this season is a joke. He's lost a yard of pace and without that he is struggling.
"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

RIP: Sir Bill Nicholson

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 10:33:36 AM »
Agree, Defoe has been bad all season. He can't blame injuries as he's been match fit for months. Only 2 prem goals is shamefull.

Infact i would sell our entire strikeforce has been lame all season. 13 premiership goals between Crouch, Pavulychenko and Defoe!!  :o 

Second thoughts maybe not all of them, but if any of them left in the summer, i wouldn't be too heart broken as long as we got the striker we have been chasing all season.

This striker can't be Drogba (33) he's too old if you aske me, we want someone younger..

Look at Uniteds, Chelsea, Liverpool and City strikeforce - they are (mainly) all young, 22-28 and will be around for a while yet.

I think we need to follow suit. Harry needs to stop chasing the likes of Parker, Neville, Adam etc and get us a youngish finisher if we are to challenge for major houners in this country.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:36:01 AM by dedleysting »
COYS!

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 01:20:42 PM »
I agree that Crouch, Pav and Defoe have all been left wanting in front of goal this season. But if we are talking about moving forwards next year then we definitely need to make some changes. Personally I think Pav is our weak link, although he has scored more than the other two. I think we should keep hold of crouch, because although he does not always score many he does create a problem for the opposition and is completely different to most other strikers. Pav would be better suited at a team like Everton, who work hard and need a player like him, I think he would score some goals for them, but he is not Champions league quality.

As for Defoe, he has been extremely poor this season and there is nothing worse than someone playing badly and then spitting their dummy out and blaming others for their own incompetencies. That being said I think he could still be effective for us, as long as he swallows his pride and starts putting more effort in to proving everyone wrong and demanding a place in the side due to his quality rather than his ability to strop!

If we are only able to sign 1 player then I agree it needs to be someone young, strong and deadly in front of goal and it should be Pav that makes way. If we decide to lose Defoe as well then they could be young, quick and small and the other could definitely be someone like Drogba, he is not too old, would having something to prove and if anyone could extend his playing career at the highest level it would be Harry.
Maybe next year...

Offline Holtspur

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 02:53:43 PM »
I think Defoe is going to be under a lot of pressure today. He has been handed a starting berth. Unless he scores, I think Harry will be looking to offload him