SpursNetwork

Gary Cahill?

Re: Gary Cahill?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 01:52:28 PM »
I think Cahill would be perfect for us , i do agree we would pay over the top but we are desperately struggling at the back. Gallas is too slow now and Bassong is alright but seems to lose concentration alot.

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 02:41:26 PM »
if as many suggest, Dawson is the future but he needs someone with pace next to him to compensate...why the heck are the same ppl so keen on getrting the almost equally pace-challenged Cahill ??.... and at a whopping 15m+ to boot..

the sense of logic astounds me..

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »
Not all the best defenders have pace, reading the game and timing of a tackle can be worth a good few yards. However i do accept that a combination should usually include one pacy CB otherwise you are likely to get ripped against some of the speedy stiker in the EPL and Europe.

I dont actually think there will be as many teams looking at him as the press make out. Lets face it they roll out the same teams for every player becuase it is easy. Ars*nal-no, Man Utd-no (cash), Pool-no(cash) and that really just leaves City (not sure they want him?) Any foreign team for an English defender-no, its a laugh just suggesting it.

So in short we have Bolton over a barrel, offer 6mill and thats it.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 11:44:32 AM »
think Spurs are showing a 'tactical interest' in bidding for Cakehole, so as not to ensure he goes elsewhere for peanuts due to lack of rival bids.... shrewd move..

the real target I feel will be Upson..... naturally leftsided CB, experienced at intl level, not slow, and with less than 1yr on contract left.... should be a steal for less than 1m...

and we will also get Khumalo, which should ensure compensation for King and Woodengate...... still have King (for 20 games a season), Upson, Bassong, Kaboul, Gallas, Khumalo and Dawson...

thats ample enough.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 02:06:24 PM »

the real target I feel will be Upson..... naturally leftsided CB, experienced at intl level, not slow, and with less than 1yr on contract left.... should be a steal for less than 1m...

You are joking right Upson not slow, you are joking aren't you, he's 31 and past it not the way forward. Phil Jagielka 28 or Gary Cahill 24 both better options and better defenders without a doubt !!!!

???
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 05:22:01 PM »
I'd have to say i would Rather Upson than Cahill. But saying that i would Rather Jagielka than Upson.

Peronally 2 others defenders i would like to see are Samba or Hangeland

Offline SomersetYiddo

• Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 07:04:04 PM »
Biggs - Samba is a good defender, he doesnt seem to get the recognition he deserves and is underated. As for Upson, no way would i want him at Spurs hes a terrible defender. Jagielka would be the perfect option but there is no way Everton would sell him.

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 07:06:56 PM »
Biggs - Samba is a good defender, he doesnt seem to get the recognition he deserves and is underated. As for Upson, no way would i want him at Spurs hes a terrible defender. Jagielka would be the perfect option but there is no way Everton would sell him.

Agree  :up:

I wouldn't buy Cahill if i was 'Arry
COYS!

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »
Upson had a fair bit of pace a few years back, and is still not slow... unlike others I could mention..

the whole point with Upson is that hes very very cheap now at around 1m if that, due to his age and contract lifespan.... he's also a NATURALLY LEFTSIDED CB due to being 1 of the  rare left-footed CBs in the league.... thats where injury-prone King plays (tho he is right-footed)...

Upson is also very experienced now and will be able to slot into teams and formations with ease that only comes with experience..

I expect him to be a Spurs player very soon.

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 08:10:52 PM »
I EXPECT he (Upson) won't be a Spurs player very soon
COYS!

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 12:09:58 PM »
I expect we won't need Upson too if Khumalo arrives as seems expected, apparently a done deal since September..

and I KNOW that the waaaay over-priced Cakehiole will be the last addition Levy will sanction.... we have King (half the games), Gallas, Kaboul, Bassong and Dawson (fit before January).... as well as a a regular S.African CB with World Cup experience and pace, and who's gonna cost peanuts...

why would any chairman be stupid enough to spend another 15m+ on yet another CB who frankly wouldnt justify half that price if he was Polish or Trinidadean..

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 01:02:54 PM »
Maybe because he can't remember what a clean sheet looks like.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
cleansheets are not only earned by back4s, its sometimes a good idea to have the midfield, especially centre-midfield, who have the collective athleticism to screen the CBs.....

with Modric and THudd playing alot of games, that simply isnt gonna happen....eg.  alot of ppl as usual will blame Jenas for Blackbum's 2nd goal, as the ball ricochetted off his knee as he was marking someone close-up,  to the space 20yds out in front of goal..... not many tho will dare ask where his fellow CM the great Modric was and why he didnt pick up the spare man who then scored... in fact, I can't even see where Modric is within 20yds of whre the action was occurring

its always better to blame the back4 in these occasions.... if you notice the way we concede in many recent games, the back4 have picked up runners but theres acres of space up to 20yds in front of the backline..... but its okay, cos Modric and THudd are lovely players after all.... just lovely..
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:20:36 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 04:46:13 PM »
I wondered how long until Modric was brought into this thread by GK  :tickedoff:

Is there any news as to how long Daws is set to be out for?

I wouldnt mind seeing Cahill join at the right price, the price Levy sees fit to pay!  There is alot riding on this season is a finish outside of the top 4 would be a failure and potentially very damaging for us for many reasons.

Upson not a hope in hell signing him would show we are looking for a quick fix and choosen the wrong tools for the job!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 09:23:52 PM »
Upson is worthy of a squad place easily.... and he's at the right price for a backup to King..

we should, and I think will, concentrate our January efforts on a tall pacy striker to play with either Defoe/vdV.... and Pav or Crouch as backup (1 will go)..

Keane, Bentley, maybe Corluka will be p-x to 1 or 2 deals.. eg. for A.Young, maybe Carroll...