SpursNetwork

Gary Cahill?

Offline aspursfan

• Season Ticket: No
Gary Cahill?
« on: November 11, 2010, 11:40:39 PM »
We need a central defender who can be ready for the first team immediately. How about Gary Cahill? I think he'd be perfect. I saw something in the dailymail about him and I'm sure it was all paper talk, but seriously, we need to bring a defender in and if we can get Cahill I think it would be worth it. Even if we have to pay a bit more because it's January. What do you think?
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline Derry-Yid

• Hero: Teddy Sheringham
Re: Gary Cahill?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:03:01 AM »
Check out the Bassong thread mate...there is talk in that about our defenders..Cahill would be a great buy for us.
"It's been my life, Tottenham Hotspur,
and I love the club."

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:08:28 AM »
Has there been a story linking him to us??  Would be a great addition if it happened we have to stop the goals leaking Gomes as good as he is needs better in front of him
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:27:43 AM »
I'd rather get Gary Glitter..

Cahill = over-rated due to being Ingerlish, suffers from Whiteboyitis (average-paced), not worth a quarter of the 16m+ as transfer-fee..

we already have Khumalo joining for the price of a bacon-sarnie and a cuppa char.... and I sense any regular S.African CB with pace will be better than 'Dawson Mk II'

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:42:18 AM »
I also think that 15m or 16m would be a tad too much for Cahill. He is a good EPL defender but that's about it, nothing spectacular.

Offline Derry-Yid

• Hero: Teddy Sheringham
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 12:34:26 PM »
I think he would be a decent signing for us..he's young...english...and most most importantly he is a proven premier league player,who can also chip in with a few goals...he cant be that bad a defender if Ars*nal..Chelsea and Man United are sniffing around him!!  :up:
"It's been my life, Tottenham Hotspur,
and I love the club."

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 02:08:34 PM »
I agree Derry. Yes, he'll cost more because he's English. That's just the way it works. I don't think he's overrated. I don't hear anyone describing him as the best defender in the Premier League. If we could work out a cash + player deal I think it would be worth doing.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 02:52:01 PM »
The only problem will be his price tag, prying him away from Bolton is gonna cost !!!

But I wouldn't say no to him he's commited, solid and seems to be pretty much injury free !!!

:up:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 03:17:29 PM »
Personally i don't rate him...i think Jagielka is a better player than him. Plus i don;t think Cahill is any better than what we have already.

Dawson should be back before the January Window... they said he was out for 3 months. That would mean he would be back December 4th

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 04:45:26 PM »
I don't think he's better than King, but King is always injured now and it isn't just his knees. I think that we should be able to do better than we're doing now even with two of our defenders injured. Remember when we used to have clean sheets? We really really need to improve in this area. Dawson coming back will help, but we shouldn't be doing this badly without him. I think we need to look at a long term replacement for King as he's struggling to play even 90 minutes now. I don't know anything about Khumalo. Will he be that person? Or is he one for the future who won't make the first team for a while?

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 01:23:33 AM »
King as great as he is on his day and a awesome servant to us at THFC is on his way to retirement as ASF states its not just his knees and with his knee problem the longer he plays the more he risks his long term health.

Our dfence has been riding on an edge for a while with Woody and King this has been coming for a while now but unfrotuately its been over looked.  We have to look to the now and the future and need solid stability in our back line with ability.  K......... what ever his name isnt likely to adapt straight away and be able to slot straight in so not resolving the issues we have at mo.  Someone like Cahill would come in with the required expereince and ability and I think with Daws do a grand job... but if the tag is 15-16 mill (levys fav price to get a player) is a bit high, but I guess it depends what price they will put on success i.e 4th spot and CL footi again as right now that aint gonna happen unless we win the CL ........... I got more chance winning the lottery without buying a ticket!

This is a big season for us as we all know, the stakes are high and whoever ends in the top 4 this year will remain in a strong position for years to come as the rich clubs get richer from CL footi and then have the ability to sign class players and pay big wages the divide will get bigger for us to close.
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 11:27:18 AM »
I          AGREE. A GOOD BUY.

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »
the ONLY way we will get Cakehole is if we can p-x dross like Bentley, as part of the deal..

getting rid of 1 hugely over-priced, over-rated Englishman for another slightly less over-hyped Englishman would make reasonable sense...

he can polish Khumalo's boots from February onwards.... at 4 times Khumalo's wage...

Offline SomersetYiddo

• Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 01:27:01 PM »
Whenever we talk defenders it always makes me think back to the King & Woodgate partnership and how f**king brilliant it was! Sadley i dont hink we will ever see that again. Ive never really seen Cahill play that much and i dont know what hes has to offer but alot of Spurs fans i have been talking to would take him here and see him and Dawson as a future England CB partnership. 15 Mill plus is alot for him but a player plus cash deal would be good to offload some deadwood because Bolton will be struggling when they sell there bast players to sort out there debt. We should look around first though and im sure Harry & Levy have some targets that we dont know of.

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 01:37:46 PM »
I dont rate Gary much but i dont know i cant judge him since i rarely see him play unless he is against us. Although i gotta say, if we are going for Centre back's why the heck did we sign Khumalo in teh first place?