SpursNetwork

Oh no we lost a game...must be time to sack AVB?

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
  • Season Ticket: No
Oh no we lost a game...must be time to sack AVB?
« on: September 16, 2012, 07:24:56 PM »
So we have now won our first game of the season. Just wondered what your opinions were of the game and if you are beginning to have more belief in the side?

Just to preempt the views of a few, thought I would try and get here ahead of them...

I can already imagine the AVB/LEVY bashers mulling over what interesting and new way they can repeat what they have already said. I think it will go something like. AVB sh!t blah blah blah, Levy F*cking useless etc. etc. they will then go on to tell us that Spurs only won because Reading were so poor (they were poor, so this is not untrue) and the real test will be against better opposition.

This is not a completely moot point but the problem is that either way this result was going to have no impact on their points of view. If we won (like we did) it was because Reading were poor, AVB sh!t blah blah blah, Levy F*cking useless etc. etc. If we drew it would have been because we did not spend the money on a new striker, AVB sh!t blah blah blah, Levy F*cking useless etc. etc. if we lost it would highlight just how bad AVB/Levy is, AVB sh!t blah blah blah, Levy F*cking useless etc. etc.

I think you get my point.

Personally I thought we played quite well, Defoe showed how good he can be in front of goal, given the chances. I think the midfield trio of Sandro, Sigurdsson and Dembele ran the show and dominated the midfield. Defensively we were ok, Reading hardly threatened, but when they finally did, they got a goal, we must tighten up and stay focused. Lennon is starting to look like the player of old, with pace, penetration and his final ball has improved. Bale looked dangerous all over the pitch. We need to build confidence and points and that can only be done by beating the teams in front of us. A step forwards albeit a small one.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:21:45 AM by dimexi »
Maybe next year...

Offline Colspur66

• Hero: Glen Hoddle
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: First win, how do you feel now?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 07:42:38 PM »
And of course AVB has already won as many away games in 2012 as Harry did!!!!

AVB's BLUE AND WHITE ARMY!!!!!!!

Offline daib0

• Royals Rendezvous
  • Hero: Robin Friday
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 08:21:35 PM »
I'm not disappointed that we lost 3-1 to a class outfit like Spurs. But the boys on Royals Rendezvous are disappointed at the manner in which we lost. The gulf between you and us was scary by all accounts, and you only have to look at the match stats to see that, and you're getting lavish praise on our site tonight.

Cheers and all the best ... maybe a Champions League place looks on after that, far stronger than the Chelsea performance against us

Royals Rendezvous  - a friendly Reading forum

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:32:16 AM »
A win is a win no matter who it`s against .As you rightly point out the doom mongers will spout their s**te after every game .I didn`t seee the game but i`ve read all the reports ans een thegoals and it seemed to me like we deserved it .That`ll do for me .
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:54:55 AM »
I thought we were all up for it right from the kick off, retaining possession well instead of just lumping the ball upfield. IMO this was the main reason Reading rarely got into the game.
Dembele is looking every bit as good as Modric to me, and the midfield looks well balanced. I do forsee a problem with Dempsey / Adebayor / Defoe all wanting to start, but that said I'm glad to see that AVB has faith in Defoe which for now is paying off.
Lennon & Bale caused them problems, and Sigurdsson was very influential. Verthongen gets better and better, can't wait for Kaboul to get back and pair him.
The one downside, yet again, was conceding a soft goal in the 90th minute. We really do need to stop doing that as we dont always have the luxury of a 2 goal cushion.

Offline a12 warrior

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:03:21 AM »
The side played well and looked more like a team, for me though 1 game does not make a season but pleased that 3 points came our way. :up:

Offline RSS61

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 08:10:03 AM »
You are right A12. But I look at our squad now, and when Parker and Kaboul come back, it will be stronger and more balanced that last season. We have good competition for all the key positions.
For me it has always been, and will always be, about the players we have, and how they perform as a team, that will determine how successful we are.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 10:20:17 AM »
One win does not make a season, but it's a  good start and it feels good to have got our first 3 away points albeit against poor opposition.

I am still waiting for comments from the "doom and gloomers"?

Offline Yiddite

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 11:51:34 AM »
Obviously 1 win doesn't make a season so lets not gloat too much over the doom and gloomers
but as stated above AVB has already achieved what Harry managed this year with 1 away win.

The test starts now though as last season we managed something like 9 on the trot !

COYS

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 01:39:52 PM »
I'm really impressed with Dembele. Some of our players looked panicked when they received the ball yesterday, but Dembele looked comfortable receiving it regardless of how much pressure he was under. He also dribbled past players with ease a few times. It's nice to have a player with those qualities.

Obviously it's just one win, but it's good to get it out of the way. I hope that AVB is able to keep the players who aren't starting happy.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline taimedowne

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 01:49:53 PM »
I know Defoe scored twice but he missed a fair few decent chances and is still far to selfish for my liking. To my mind if you are going to play a lone striker then Adebayor is far better suited to the role. Holds the ball better, scores goals and creates chances for others. 

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »
Ok I'll have a go as a "doom and gloomer", firstly I thought we would struggle against Reading because I thought they would be more up for it sepecially at home and I also worried about AVB picking two defensive midfielders. Reading though really didn't seem like they fancied it or maybe we didn't allow them the opportunity to get at us by playing some nice tidy and effective passing cutting out many of their opportunities at source. Injuries ensured AVB only picked one defensive midfielder which I believe is a good thing with the lack of creative talent shown in the last 3 games Dembele and Sigurdsson looked exciting dangerous and more like the attacking midfield we are used to.
On the negative side I thought that at times from set pieces we looked shaky and against better and more clinical opposition we could be in trouble, Kaboul or Dawson would help this with their aerial power and it would help if we had a bigger target to aim at as an escape ball. Although Defoe had a really good game he really isn't a target man or a player that can hold the ball up and relieve some pressure while the team moves out of defence, and I'm still at a loss why we bought Dempsey I don't see how he fits at all !!!!
Overall then a really good performance all round with many more positives than negatives, I said in another post we needed a win and a performance and I think we pretty much got that. I wish we could play Reading every week because against more established Premiership teams I still think we may struggle but on the whole if AVB could get us playing that well every week against any opposition I would gladly take back all my negative comments but that is a win, 2 draws and a loss in the first 4 games this season and to be fair we haven't actually played anyone so far.

Better much better but one win dosen't make a season !!!!! 

:up:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline baldbloke

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
Yeh, big deal we beet Reading. So I suppose AVB is now God. You lot make me really laugh. Wait until we come up against a half decent side !!
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »
I haven't read any comments on here comparing AVB to God and I think everyone is aware that we played Reading. Would you have been happier if we had lost? Like ... I told you so.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 09:32:23 AM »
I haven't read any comments on here comparing AVB to God and I think everyone is aware that we played Reading. Would you have been happier if we had lost? Like ... I told you so.
I was really surprised baldbloke hadn't turned up earlier with his usual negative views. I was really worried... But, yeah, seems he's alive and well.