SpursNetwork

If we didn't bring Keane back...

Offline aspursfan

• Season Ticket: No
If we didn't bring Keane back...
« on: July 29, 2011, 01:43:14 PM »
We'd have all that money to use on getting a new striker and one less player we desperately need to sell. Hindsight, Harry.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
Re: If we didn't bring Keane back...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 01:59:47 PM »
One of the most ridiculous statements here. No offence, mate.

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:02:07 PM »
How many minutes has he played since returning? Do you think that is good business?
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline a12 warrior

• Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 02:18:21 PM »
It really was a strange move to bring him back, you move them on for a reason I would have thought.
So fair to say a waste of money.
Keane does not owe the club anything though I think he has always given 100% and scored some great goals (and missed a few!!!) but he is on the down slope now.

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 02:26:18 PM »
You have to remember we had had a change of manager. Harry obviously rated Keane and we did turn a profit on the deal. At the time it looked a decent bit of business and if we hadn't got Keane we would no doubt of got somebody else who may have not worked out either. It's easy to say waste of money now, but most of us at the time were happy enough to have him back.

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 02:45:01 PM »
I suppose it's just frustrating because it seems like it was awful timing when he left, but we got good money... 17 mil if I remember correctly. I don't remember how much it cost to bring him back. Think something like 12-14 mil. It seemed like a panic buy though. I suppose it kind of was a panic situation as we had a striker shortage, bringing Defoe, Keane and Crouch in wasn't cheap and we now find ourselves with lots of strikers, but still badly in need of a striker.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 09:27:42 PM »
I suppose with hindsight we could have spent the money on a better quality striker.

How was anyone to know how poor he would be especially as he had been so impressive the season before he went to Liverpool.

I would love to know what happened to him in those few short months before he returned.

One thing I am certain of WE NEVER GOT THE PLAYER BACK THAT WE SOLD.

Offline baldbloke

• Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 09:11:35 AM »
We'd have all that money to use on getting a new striker and one less player we desperately need to sell. Hindsight, Harry.

We had little choice at the time. DeFoe was injured and Keane was available.
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU

Offline Ballyer Spur

• Hero: Paul McGrath
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »
Harry tried the same wirh JD last season and ruined his confidence.  You need to play if you're goin to make an impact in any team

To Dare is to Do

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
I suppose with hindsight we could have spent the money on a better quality striker.

How was anyone to know how poor he would be especially as he had been so impressive the season before he went to Liverpool

The thing is he was a top quality striker thats why Liverpool paid £20 million for him, and there was no reason why he shouldn't of still been a top quality striker. Liverpool and Benitez basically destroyed him as a player by taking away his confidence and self belief which unfortunately he couldn't rediscover when he returned, plus Berbatov had left too and the two of them had a fantastic partnership together.

Keane is a quality forward and was a Legend for us and I think we did the right thing buying him back but unfortunately for both of us it just didn't happen again

:up:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion