SpursNetwork

Who should leave Spurs this Summer and who should stay?

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
Who should leave Spurs this Summer and who should stay?
« on: July 05, 2013, 08:20:06 PM »
There are a few threads around here about Bale, Paulinho and a few others, but I thought I'd create this one here to talk about other Spurs players and more specifically, who would we like to see at Spurs for 2013/2014. Here's my list with some of my ideas:

GOALKEEPERS

Lloris - Obvious number one, no comments needed
Friedel - There was talk of him rejoining Blackburn Rovers, but this link went quiet. I can't see Friedel being our  first choice keeper, but I think his experience and professionalism are of great benefit.
Gomes - I can't see him staying with Spurs for much longer. I hope he'll find himself a new club ASAP.
Archer - Had a decent loan at Wycombe and is a product of Spurs Academy. I've read good things about him and will be willing to see him get an outing in League Cup and Europa League.

DEFENDERS

Kaboul - Let's see when and in which state he'll return. He missed the whole season and it might take a while for Younés to get back in the shape he was before he got injured. Anyway, I don't think anyone would want to see him leave.
Vertonghen - Heir apparent to Ledley King. For me the best CB we have in the club. I think he should get the armband, should Kaboul return fit and Dawson drop to the bench.
Dawson - I think Dawson's been a great servant to the club, but I would prefer Kaboul (if fit) and Vertonghen as our main central pairing. I know it is unfair on Good ol' Daws, but the fact is that his lack of pace combined with our high defensive line is a vulnerable combination. That doesn't mean I'd like to see Dawson leave, I think he could still play quite a few games for us, as it is impossible to play the whole season with only two central defenders.
Caulker - I think Caulker's progress stalled a bit last season and from what I saw I think he could go on and become one of the great centre-backs in the country, but he needs to have an experienced defender next to him. Fortunately our other defenders are...
Walker - Kyle had an ambiguous season. He was an explosive creative force from the deep, but the fact is that he's a defender and what he didn't do well at all was defending. Still, I think the lad is very promising and will get better this season.
Assou-Ekotto - Benoît had a season mixed with lack of concentration, niggling injuries and different hair-styles. I think the man is something different from other footballers, but that doesn't change the fact that after two great seasons he became a relatively mediocre player. Maybe it was because of injuries, maybe something else. Unless someone better comes in, I'd give him until August 31 to prove himself.
Naughton - Kyle number two is a back-up player at best and if he wants to be one, he can be. Should he want to leave, I don't think anyone would mind.
Rose - I don't like Danny's attitude. He seems to be one of the young English players who are more interested in Twitter than training and think that they don't need to prove anyone anything. Unless our manager can make him focus on his football, he could be heading down the same road as David Bentley and many others.

MIDFIELDERS

Huddlestone - Tom is big as a tree and unfortunately slow as one. To make matters worse, he isn't hard enough to be a DM. I don't think his slow style would fit into our midfield and he could and should move on. 
Lennon - Aaron Lennon is probably one of our unsung heroes. He should score a bit more, though. As no-one has come in for him since 2005, I very much doubt anyone will before 2025. Good for us...
Parker - There have been rumours about Parker leaving to QPR, Sunderland and a few other clubs. After great first season, Parker's last season wasn't anything special. To be fair on him, he did have a very serious injury and only played half a season. Still, with Paulinho coming in and some uncertainty about Sandro's return any time soon, I think Parker could still have a role at Spurs. He's not as mobile as some younger midfielders in our squad, but I think his general intelligence on pitch is second to none.
Bale - Well... no comments needed.
Dembélé - I'm not sure on which position Dembélé should play. I'd say his first season with us was difficult. While some people expected him to be the next Modrić, he certainly isn't one. Nor is he the new van der Vaart as he isn't much of a threat on goal (2 goals in 29 games). I like his style, though and I hope he'll have a great 2013/2014.
Sigurðsson - Gylfi popped in with some very important goals, but as with Dembélé, I'm not sure what his best position is. Good thing is that he can play on either flank and as an attacking midfielder. A good player to come on as a substitute, but I somewhat doubt he'll ever be anything more at Spurs.
Holtby - Looked interesting enough, but is far from developed. Coming in from another league and mid-season can be difficult and therefore I can't really say much about young Lewis. I hope to see more of him, though.
Livermore - Jake reminds me Jamie O'Hara (remember him?) - eager and keen, but relatively mediocre. I don't think he'll ever develop into first XI player at Spurs and therefore I think he should move on.
Sandro - As with Kaboul, I'm optimistic, but nervous about his return. The Beast is one of the best players of his role in the league and could be one of the best in the world. What makes me nervous is that the present knee-injury isn't his first.
Townsend - Andros showed a few glimpses of brilliance at QPR, but I'm not sure about him. His ban for betting was a stupid thing and could cost him a place at Spurs.
Carroll - Thomas seems to be another promising product of Spurs Academy, but unless he'll get more chances in first team matches, he could fade away and his progress would stall. I hope our manager understands that and I think he does. Carroll is definitely worth keeping and I personally would like to see him play more often.
Dempsey - Clint is one of those players Spurs fans don't rate and probably never will. As I've said before 12 goals in 43 matches is not a bad rate and to be fair on him, he was mostly played out of position. I can see him staying with us for one more season and after that he'll probably return to the USA or join some team below us.

STRIKERS
Adebayor - Well, his recent form is pretty good - 2 goals in 3 matches ( :lol: ). I've read that Besiktas are interested in buying him, but I guess they haven't heard about his wages. On his good day Adebayor reminds me of Drogba and on his bad days he reminds me of me on Saturday mornings - a really slow f**king mess. For some reason I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed. Maybe Villas-Boas will make something out of him.
Defoe - It's never going to happen, is it? Year after year the same old song and dance - Jermain starts with a big bang and then whizzes away like an old balloon. He has been with us for many years and is one of our "faces". But, maybe it's time to move on with new faces.
Kane - Harry scored twice in 15 games for Leicester City last season. I'm keen to see more of him, but I doubt he'll turn into anything more than a back-up player.

I didn't include other younger players (Pritchard, McEvoy etc) as I don't know much about them and haven't really followed their progress
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:47:17 AM by RiffHard »

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
Re: Who should leave Spurs this Summer and who should stay?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:04:57 AM »
    Riff,
     Very interesting synopsis, and may I say very well put together, you have obviously given it some serious thought, very hard to disagree with anything that you have written.
    Personally I don't think we have seen the best of Dembele yet, I didn't think that he was 100% fit last season, carrying an injury of some sort I suspect. Holtby, I think will develop into an extremely good player he is still young and learning his trade. Carroll as you quite rightly said needs more game time, and is worth persevering with. Townsend I believe could become a very good player, but I think his opportunities could, because of the number of midfielders that we have, be limited. Rose, Naughton and Caulker are the future and should be persevered with, they are still learning their trade.
    Now comes the difficult part who to cull from the squad, Huddlestone just doesn't seem to improve, if anything, he has gone backwards since his injury, time to move on I think, same applies to Livermore, just doesn't seem to show any improvement. BAE is a difficult one, personally I would like to see him stay, last season was probably one he would like to forget, injury and a dip in form didn't help his cause. Dempsey and Sigurdsson probably deserve another season, but if we buy another midfielder and two strikers, they may well find their opportunities very limited. Its probably time for Defoe to move on, as much as I like him I just don't see him improving his consistency. Adebayor as I said in a previous post, I think needs a full pre-season, and if he gets one, he may just reproduce the form he showed when he was on loan to us. Parker, in my opinion, should be kept purely for the experience and knowledge that he can pass on to the younger players, and I have no doubt that he could still be a very useful team member.
   I realize that there will be probably be a few who will disagree with my opinion, but it is just my opinion.
   :up: :up: :up:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:11:09 AM by Paul Finch »
:SN:[font

Offline dimexi

• I have a dream... a white hart dream
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 08:15:56 AM »
Riff That just about sums up our squad perfectly. Not much that I could add to those well articulated and supported points.

Players to definitely leave:

Huddlestone just isn't the kind of player we need eating up wages. Yes he did finaly have some better games towards the end of the season but just never seems to dominate a game the way he should.

I think we need to be quite ruthless and lose a few players who we don't think will ever challenge for a first team spot. Yes they may be okay as squad players but, we really need 22 players who can all be relied upon if necessary. Yes the first 11 - 16 of those should be top drawer, with the others who are adaptable, can do a job, or are young and still developing.

I am not sure that Livermore has what it takes at this level so should probably ply his trade further down the league and get some game time.

I do not rate Naughton, just doesn't look like he has the brain for it. However, his saving grace is that he can play on both flanks and is still young. I am 50/50 on him staying or going.

I would give Kane another season on loan at a championship side and keep a close eye on him. He is still young but so far hasn't shown any killer striking instinct or quality. But he may be a late developer.

If we get a quality LB and BAE is happy to fight for his place then I think Rose could move on, otherwise he would be okay as a second LB played okay last season but yes his attitude is typical of most of the young English footballers of late.
Maybe next year...

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 01:03:48 PM »
Riff. Very good analysis of the squad.

If I may add my views,

I think we do need a back up keeper other than Friedel and Archer. Not enough cover in my view. Gomes hasn't been up to scratch for sometime.

I still rate BAE quite highly, even if somewhat lazy and open to errors as a result. I would like him to stay a couple more years. Just love the hair styles :nods:

We will still need Daws this coming season. He earned his wages last season. Good man!

I also think that despite the fact that he has had a cr@p season, Ade could stay. I mean, can he be this bad 2 years running? Not so sure about Defoe, I think it may be his time to go before he gets too old.

Huddestone definitely a waste of space. His hair is probabaly the longest in the country by now cos, there's no way he would ever score  the way he was going.

I hope we keep 360 degree Parker a bit longer. He finished the season poorly, but still has a lot left and  his experience is paramount.

I don't know enough about Rose of Naughton to comment, but I doubt that they will ever become great players,  likewise Carrol. If they don't perform this coming season, it's curtains for all 3 IMO

Walker will become a great RB if he manages his temper and his runs and Caulker defo one to come good as well.

This will probably be Dembele season as well as Syg, if they are given the chance to perform. Syg will never be a star, but he well above average. 

I have mixed feeling about Holtby,  another season will determine his future at the club. I hope he does well!

Townsend can Stay at QPR with Loic Remy and  Dempsey can go.

I share your feelings about the return of Kaboul and Sandro. I hope they recover fully from their long absence. Sandro had a fantastic start to last season and I am looking forward to seeing him play alongside his Brazilian team mate Paulinho.

To sum up. Other than Bale, do we have any outstanding players?

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 03:46:22 PM »
Quote from spursjoolz "This will probably be Dembele season as well.I have mixed feeling about Holtby,  another season will determine his future at the club. I hope he does well!"

Personally I think you are being a bit harsh on Dembele, I don't think that we have seen the best of him yet, he definitely showed signs prior to his Hip Injury, but never regained that previous form. Holtby on the other hand joined us in the winter window, and again I feel we have yet to see his best, he is only 21 and will definitely, in my opinion, given time, become not only a future Captain of Spurs but also Germany, again that is only my opinion, but I think he has shown some definite qualities, somewhat similar to one Steven Perryman, again just my opinion.

:nods: :nods: :nods:
:SN:[font

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »
Quote from spursjoolz "This will probably be Dembele season as well.I have mixed feeling about Holtby,  another season will determine his future at the club. I hope he does well!"

Personally I think you are being a bit harsh on Dembele, I don't think that we have seen the best of him yet, he definitely showed signs prior to his Hip Injury, but never regained that previous form. Holtby on the other hand joined us in the winter window, and again I feel we have yet to see his best, he is only 21 and will definitely, in my opinion, given time, become not only a future Captain of Spurs but also Germany, again that is only my opinion, but I think he has shown some definite qualities, somewhat similar to one Steven Perryman, again just my opinion.

I agree with you here and I think we haven't seen the best of him. He won't go or shouldn't go.

I think our two strikers will go. Kane will stay.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
Riif good thread and good analysis of each player!!!

Here is my input and why certain players I havent included such as Bale, Lennon, Lloris, JVT, Walker, Sandro as they are no brainers to keep:

To stay:
BAE had a season far below par of recent seasons, we need a player to challenge at LB to either get BAE back to his previous form or replace.
Carroll a fringe player that is to be used in Europa and league cup, worth is place and worth time to develop further.
Kane he wont ever be a world beater or will he, I think his time out on loan is done again lets use him in Europa and league cup.
Caulker future regular CB in a few seasons time, again should be straight on the team sheet for Europa and League Cup, worth his place on the bench for EPL games too.
Dawson slow he is but still a quality defender who is THFC through and through, comes good when needed he will scrap it out with a fit Kaboul for first team starting slot.
Holtby lot to come from this player i think, i would expect a good show this seasons though first team opportunities will be limited so again starting 11 for league cup and Europa.
Sig and Dempsey, I list them together as often both look utterly worthless and useless on the pitch and then pop up with a vital match winning contribution be it a goal or break.  A place in the squad for these guys, great for cover or fresh legs in EPL matches.
Dembele, Quality played most of last season with Groin injury best yet to come!
Townsend, pace option when giving Bale a rest should be used in cup comps IMO see how he develops and decide long term future end of season.
Naughton, handy as can play LB and RB as cover give him this season use in the cups if he doesnt show improvement wave good bye!

Out:
THudd, just not the player we need at THFC he is too slow, injury prone and inconsistent.  Be fair to the lad ship him out he will do great at another lesser club!
Parker, have been on the fence with this one for a while but I am going to bite the bullet and say ship out.  He is not first choice in midfield now and performances last season for whatever reason were poor.  QPR is my bet for him. All the best!
Freidel need a younger better no 2, thanks for your service time to ship out or release.
Gomes, lost his confidence too good to be a number 2 IMO but not good enough for us since being dropped, ship out all the best!
Defoe, will never be the striker we had hopped, real nice chap too but not able to deliver, lets cash in.
Ade, well unless we put him on a pay as you score I expect another wank season from him ship out and get him off our wage bill!
Livermore, championship player simply not good enough for what we are aspiring too!
Danny Rose, wrong attitude and not good enough for us, get rid!
Kumalo currently making up numbers, apparently happy to stay and fight for his place..... what on the bench or reserves?

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:40:09 AM by Metalanimal »
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 11:59:32 PM »

I think you misunderstood me or I didn't put my message across well. I agree that Demebele should stay.  This new season will be his chance to shine and  he will do it.  Unfortunately his hip problem came at a bad time (late) in the season when he was showing signs of the good player that he is.  We will see a diferent Dembele this year.

The same goes for Holtlby. Joining the club half way through the season was difficult for him.  His work rate was outstanding, but I dare say confused perhaps in joining into an already running outfit. I am not sure where AVB will put him with Sandro, Paulinho, Dembele and possibly Lennon (?) as obvious 1st choices.  He will have to fight his way in.  He can do it and at 21, time is on his side.

:up:

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »
Very comprehensive and well thought out Rif.

For me, our two major weaknesses are conceding goals, in particular aerial balls from set pieces, and attacks down our left flank, and not scoring enough.

Therefore the strikers, plus LB and maybe another CB unless Caulker / Kaboul are going to be at their best to partner JVT.

Sort out those positions and we will be a match for anyone in the prem IMO.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 05:28:59 PM »

I think you misunderstood me or I didn't put my message across well. I agree that Demebele should stay.  This new season will be his chance to shine and  he will do it.  Unfortunately his hip problem came at a bad time (late) in the season when he was showing signs of the good player that he is.  We will see a diferent Dembele this year.

The same goes for Holtlby. Joining the club half way through the season was difficult for him.  His work rate was outstanding, but I dare say confused perhaps in joining into an already running outfit. I am not sure where AVB will put him with Sandro, Paulinho, Dembele and possibly Lennon (?) as obvious 1st choices.  He will have to fight his way in.  He can do it and at 21, time is on his side.

:up:

OK, thanks for the clarification.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 09:11:26 AM »
Seems Dempsey is also on the list for us to sell, rumor is bolton are keen but we are looking to sell for what we brought him for, IMO he is worth more than Ade his 12 goals last season warrant at least 6mill price tag.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 06:44:55 PM »
Seems Dempsey is also on the list for us to sell, rumor is bolton are keen but we are looking to sell for what we brought him for, IMO he is worth more than Ade his 12 goals last season warrant at least 6mill price tag.

Not according to his agent. Again paper talk.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Metalanimal

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 07:23:46 PM »
Got any quotes from his agent as havent read anything.  Also if we want to sell not alot the agent can do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 08:21:38 PM »
Got any quotes from his agent as havent read anything.  Also if we want to sell not alot the agent can do

Here is a link on Dempsey.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2013/07/dempsey-shopped-tottenham.html
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do