SpursNetwork

Big Chiv: my goals in life by Martin Chivers.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« on: January 26, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »

The great Spurs striker of the 70s (partnered Alan Gilzean up front) shares his life with us. And an interesting football life it was.

Martin Harcourt Chivers was born 27 April 1945 in Southampton, England. He signe school boy and then professional contract for Southampton. In September 1962, making his debut against Charlton Athletic on 8 September 1962 (aged 17). He failed to score on his debut and his first goal came in a 4-1 defeat by Newcastle United on 6 April 1963 (in his third first-team appearance). In the 1963-64 season, he became a regular starter and was the club's joint leading goalscorer (with Terry Paine) with 21 goals, as Southampton finished a disappointing fifth in Division 2. The following season, he was again a virtual ever-present, making 39 appearances with 17 goals as the Saints improved to fourth place.
Whilst at Southampton he had won 12 England Under-23 caps. He scored a total of 106 goals in 190 appearances for The Saints. His name is also in the record books as the first substitute to score for The Saints, in a 3-1 defeat by Newcastle United on 29 April 1967.
In January 1968, Tottenham Hotspur manager Bill Nicholson signed Chivers for a club record fee of £125,000, which also made him the country's most expensive player at that time. He scored on his Spurs debut against Sheffield Wednesday in January 1968, but the initial stages of his White Hart Lane career were relatively unsuccessful, with Spurs legends Jimmy Greaves and Alan Gilzean still preferred as an attacking partnership. Chivers remained a fixture of the England Under-23 squad and eventually became the most important goalscorer at Tottenham, following the sale of Greaves to West Ham United in 1970.
Chivers was often seen as a lethargic and lazy player, but his pace and natural strength established 'Big Chiv' as a star of the Spurs side and England throughout the early 1970s. The 1970-71 season was the beginning of Martin Chivers' golden years, for both club and country. He played in all 58 competitive games and scored 34 times, including both goals in the League Cup final against Aston Villa, and 21 goals in the First Division as Spurs finished the season in third place. Chivers also scored on his full international debut in April 1971 in England's 3-0 victory against Greece.
During the 1971-72 campaign, Chivers hit the best form of his career, netting 44 times in 64 first team appearances. His seven goals in as many League Cup ties enabled Spurs to reach the semi-finals of the competition where they eventually lost to London neighbours Chelsea. In the UEFA Cup he scored eight times in 11 matches, including a hat-trick in a 9-0 demolition of Icelandic side Keflavik.
He continued his prolific form in the 1972-73 season, finding the net 33 times in 61 appearances. Chivers went on to win two league Cup finals, and a Uefa Cup with Spurs.

At the age of 31 in July 1976, the prolific striker moved to Servette in Switzerland, before returning to English league football with spells at Norwich City and Brighton. After that he retired.

In the book he talks about his relationship with the legendary Bill Nicholson and how he went on and became part of Spurs hospitality, being a popular match day host at White Hart Lane.

One of my treasured possessions is a signed photo from Martin Chivers.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline baldbloke

Re: Big Chiv: my goals in life by Martin Chivers.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »
I used to watch him play along players such as peters and Gilzean in the early seventies, he was one hell of a player. I once met him in Braga, he was with Mullery. Mullery was OK, but big Chiv was as ignorant a man as I have ever met.
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
Re: Big Chiv: my goals in life by Martin Chivers.
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:22:37 PM »
I used to watch him play along players such as peters and Gilzean in the early seventies, he was one hell of a player. I once met him in Braga, he was with Mullery. Mullery was OK, but big Chiv was as ignorant a man as I have ever met.

He might have changed with age. When I met him he was pleasant and all smiles. To be fair not all our legends can be angelic and nice guys.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.