SpursNetwork

Tottenham v Manchester City

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
Tottenham v Manchester City
« on: September 26, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
4:1 and the biggest league defeat for City since 2008. Not bad, lads, not bad at all. Although, it must be said we had some luck as two of our goals should have been ruled out by offside flag. Of course, de Bruyne's goal also came from offside...  :hide:

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Tottenham v Manchester City
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 05:39:55 PM »
Actually I think City had some luck. I was at the game today and I said we should have been 3 up before we even equalised. Kane got his goal and we won 4-1 and we should have had more. We are now 5th in the league (4 points behind the leaders). We are equal 4th (with Utd, Everton and Watford) as the best defence in the league. The only club to beat us in the league was Tottenham Hotspur (i.e. own goal).

If we can get into the top 4 - and yes, there is a long way to go, and of course we need luck as well - then our defeat against Ars*nal (with a different team; we made 9 changes) can truly be a "blessing in disguise" :up:
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »
What a performance! After the usual Spurs mistake we came back brilliantly and second half we where excellent.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 07:42:35 PM »
What a performance! After the usual Spurs mistake we came back brilliantly and second half we where excellent.

Exactly. I was just watching this mornings Football focus and the panel said that City would win. I think people are underestimating Spurs. The team that got beaten by Ars*nal in midweek was a totally different team that played in the last two league games. As I said above, we haven't been defeated in this league, this season (ok, an own goal lost us a match). Chelsea have just drawn against Newcastle Utd. We've got Swansea away, and Liverpool at home for our next two league games. Both will be very interesting. Of course before both those games we've got Monaco away. Interesting few weeks ahead for us.

By the way; we are 10 places above the League Champions (4 pts head). A long way to go, but an interesting long way to go. But we still need to buy another striker in the January window.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Ruth

• Hero: Harry Kane
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 09:43:05 AM »
I also thought that we should have been 2 or 3 up before City even scored. When they scored the first goal I was still optimistic and before the half time whistle was blown my optimism was rewarded. The second half was much better and we (that is the crowd) near the end were screaming for a fifth goal. Brilliant day, brilliant result and Jane and I decided to go into the pub afterwards to celebrate. A few more results like that and there is no telling where we will end up  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :hide:

Last season we beat Chelsea 5-3 and this season we beat City 4-1, it reminds me of the Beatles song, getting better all the time. A pity we didn't have a full squad out against Ars*nal, and going by the performance, we would have probably thrashed them. Bring them on in the league :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Offline Don

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 01:02:37 PM »
Howdy,

I watched this match on Match of the Day and I was impressed with our performance. I thought Spurs pressed all the time and in the first half finally got their chance. The second half was an avalanche of goals. And of course our Harry scored. But we mustn't let that victory overwhelm us. Cockiness has toppled many mountains in the past, and I have no doubt will do so again in the future. Spurs must concentrate and they should do well. One victory, over a top four team, doesn't mean others will fear us. A good run, some good scalps and Bobs your uncle. We've got all to play for. So come on your Spurs. Next stop Monaco and then back to the league and a trip to Wales should set us up well to take on Liverpool.

Offline Jane

• Hero: Lamela
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 05:34:43 PM »
I was such delighted about this result, but then I suppose stating that was pretty obvious statement, who, being a Spurs supporter would say anything else? :hide: :2funny: But, yes, a good result and one that will give us a boost. We've won three in a row and undefeated since the beginning of the season. Beating the league leaders will give us confidence when we go up against the likes of Ars*nal, Liverpool, United and Chelsea, who, I might add, we beat 5-3 last season (ignoring the Cup final match :hide: 8)). Right from the start I thought we weren't going to lose by 1-0. Our defence has proven durable.

Jane x

Offline Jane

• Hero: Lamela
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 05:37:53 PM »
I also thought that we should have been 2 or 3 up before City even scored. When they scored the first goal I was still optimistic and before the half time whistle was blown my optimism was rewarded. The second half was much better and we (that is the crowd) near the end were screaming for a fifth goal. Brilliant day, brilliant result and Jane and I decided to go into the pub afterwards to celebrate. A few more results like that and there is no telling where we will end up  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :hide:

Last season we beat Chelsea 5-3 and this season we beat City 4-1, it reminds me of the Beatles song, getting better all the time. A pity we didn't have a full squad out against Ars*nal, and going by the performance, we would have probably thrashed them. Bring them on in the league :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Ruth... drinks? Really? Shush...... :hide: :hide: :hide:

Jane xx

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 07:07:03 PM »
We are showing some real grit now and may long it continue! I still think we need a leader to hold us together but some special praise must go to Eric Dier who seems to have slotted into this defensive midfield role perfectly, he breaks up many attacks and is a good Ariel threat going forward, I really like him there better than center back, also to Lamela for stepping up to be the player we bought him to be, I have been one of his worst critics and I am willing to forgive and forget the past if he continues to play like he is at the moment, it is clear he has the ability and against City today, Palace and in Europe he has played exceptional, He really came out of his shell on Saturday and to do it against quality opposition is brilliant, its like having a new player.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 07:48:53 PM »
We are showing some real grit now and may long it continue! I still think we need a leader to hold us together but some special praise must go to Eric Dier who seems to have slotted into this defensive midfield role perfectly, he breaks up many attacks and is a good Ariel threat going forward, I really like him there better than center back, also to Lamela for stepping up to be the player we bought him to be, I have been one of his worst critics and I am willing to forgive and forget the past if he continues to play like he is at the moment, it is clear he has the ability and against City today, Palace and in Europe he has played exceptional, He really came out of his shell on Saturday and to do it against quality opposition is brilliant, its like having a new player.

I agree about a leader; a pity there is no Perryman or Mullery or even Blanchflower in our team. I don't agree on making a goalkeeper our captain. It should be an out-player that is captain. Jan Vertonghen would be my favourite.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 11:29:07 PM »

It is getting better all the time, but here is another Beatles' song: The long and winding road!

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 12:53:58 PM »

I agree about a leader; a pity there is no Perryman or Mullery or even Blanchflower in our team. I don't agree on making a goalkeeper our captain. It should be an out-player that is captain. Jan Vertonghen would be my favourite.

Agreed, JVT for me, though difficult to demote Lloris right now.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 05:02:46 PM »

Oh, he won't get demoted now. He is in for the long run. Besides, captain's and vice captains are picked at the beginning of the season.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 06:31:44 PM »

Oh, he won't get demoted now. He is in for the long run. Besides, captain's and vice captains are picked at the beginning of the season.
And to think our captain and vice-captain last season were Kaboul and Adebayor respectively.  :2funny:

Offline Spursx

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 07:39:54 PM »

And to think our captain and vice-captain last season were Kaboul and Adebayor respectively.  :2funny:

I think the only reasons that Adebayor was given the job was in the hope it would inspire him.