SpursNetwork

Tottenham v Ars*nal (LC)

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
Tottenham v Ars*nal (LC)
« on: September 24, 2015, 09:10:27 AM »
I'm deeply upset after this result. We've allowed a player who has never scored two goals a season, to score twice against us. And why did Pochettino play a weakened team against our biggest rivals? Stupid, just stupid.

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
Re: Tottenham v Ars*nal (LC)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 10:24:39 AM »
To be fair the team wasn't that week, yes we made 8 changes but we still had plenty of chances and they had all the luck! we deserved to win that match and played some lovely football especially second half, our Achilles heel is as usual individual errors, Fazio clearance for the winner was shocking and no one tracked flammini running in!, this type of mistake capped with Kanes miss firing is what makes the difference in key games like this!, Ars*nal scored with there first attack yet we still kept creating chances and couldnt find the target, we should have had a penalty but it was not to be, now we must focus on City and be sure make the chances count in that game.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »
The team was fatally weakened in its most important place. Vorm, Fazio & Wimmer. We had the 2nd best defence in prem, and as you rightly say, conceded 2 sloppy goals.
At the other end we were useless, but then we have been useless there all season.
Even this second rate Ars*nal seemed to pass more sharply than us, and their players moved into spaces better than us. And most importantly Flamini had 2 chances and scored 2 goals.

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 04:18:32 PM »
The team was fatally weakened in its most important place. Vorm, Fazio & Wimmer. We had the 2nd best defence in prem, and as you rightly say, conceded 2 sloppy goals.
At the other end we were useless, but then we have been useless there all season.
Even this second rate Ars*nal seemed to pass more sharply than us, and their players moved into spaces better than us. And most importantly Flamini had 2 chances and scored 2 goals.
To be fair, I think Wimmer was okay. Fazio and Vorm obviously not.

Offline a12 warrior

• Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 04:52:48 PM »
I cannot understand in a cup game against our biggest rivals and a game that means so much to the supporters why our wonderful manager makes 8 changes!!

I was at the game last night and really other than for 15 mins in the second half all we did was huff and puff and achieved nothing.

I think Poch is running out of time his tactics are questionable and not rational there is no plan B!
As an example how can you change the whole back 5 pair 2 players who have not played together Fazio and wimmer and expect a positive outcome.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 05:14:55 PM »
I was talking to Pat Jennings last year and he said that he couldn't understand why clubs rotate their players, and I agree. The more times they play together the better it is. That is why lower league teams (as in Premier) do so well. They haven't got the luxury of rotation. I also don't think that the Ars*nal game was the game to try to get Kane to score. We should have used Son from the beginning. Also; one of the goals (against us) might have been saved if Lloris was in goal. Saying all that, I thought they weren't THAT BAD.

Leaving this competition could be a blessing in disguise. We can now concentrate on Europa, League and FA cup (when it comes).

There was a lot of trouble up their last night; I saw a fan get his head split open and the police were forced to rush in.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 05:16:01 PM »
I cannot understand in a cup game against our biggest rivals and a game that means so much to the supporters why our wonderful manager makes 8 changes!!

I was at the game last night and really other than for 15 mins in the second half all we did was huff and puff and achieved nothing.

I think Poch is running out of time his tactics are questionable and not rational there is no plan B!
As an example how can you change the whole back 5 pair 2 players who have not played together Fazio and wimmer and expect a positive outcome.

I don't agree that Poch is running out of time. What is more important is how he does in the League, and on Sunday we played very well against Palace.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 03:48:18 AM »
Leaving this competition could be a blessing in disguise. We can now concentrate on Europa, League and FA cup (when it comes).
Sorry, but that's an ignorant comment. The League Cup is realistically the only competition we would have been capable of winning. We are 5-8th team in the league, not to mention we actually last won it 54 years ago. In the FA Cup we'll probably lose against a lower league team, and we last won the competition in 1991. Pochettino is playing weakened teams in Europe and that means we'll crash out against the likes of Sevilla, Roma, Juventus or any other continental team. Our last win in Europe came 31 years ago and we've had much stronger teams since then than we have today. And, that takes us to the League Cup - we last won it in 2008 and have since appeared in two more finals. So, a blessing in disguise? No, a proper chance of winning some silverware.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 09:37:02 AM »
Sorry, but that's an ignorant comment. The League Cup is realistically the only competition we would have been capable of winning. We are 5-8th team in the league, not to mention we actually last won it 54 years ago. In the FA Cup we'll probably lose against a lower league team, and we last won the competition in 1991. Pochettino is playing weakened teams in Europe and that means we'll crash out against the likes of Sevilla, Roma, Juventus or any other continental team. Our last win in Europe came 31 years ago and we've had much stronger teams since then than we have today. And, that takes us to the League Cup - we last won it in 2008 and have since appeared in two more finals. So, a blessing in disguise? No, a proper chance of winning some silverware.

Actually, it is not. “A blessing in disguise” actually means “something that seems bad or unlucky at first, but results in something good happening later: Losing that job was a blessing in disguise really.” It doesn’t mean that one is glad it happened (of course not), but it has happened, and because it happened some good could come out of it. Like, we can concentrate on other matters; such as the league, FA and Europe.

Of course, the rest of what you say, I agree, but we were still knocked out of the League cup; end of. So let us hope we can benefit from it (“a blessing in disguise”).

After Churchill lost the election in 1945 (to Attlee’s Labour party) his wife (Clemintine Churchill) said, “it is probably a blessing in disguise”. It means that some good can come out of an event, tragedy or death, not that we wished it to happen in the first place.

If I could finally take the liberty and quote from Oscar Wilde’s “Importance of being Ernest”: “And now, dear Mr. Worthing, I will not intrude any longer into a house of sorrow. I would merely beg you not to be too much bowed down by grief. What seem to us bitter trials are often blessings in disguise. This seems to me a blessing of an extremely obvious kind.”

So, there was no “ignorance” on my part.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Ruth

• Hero: Harry Kane
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 10:11:23 AM »
A very disappoint night, and so much was expected. I don’t agree with voice about rotation of squads, or not. The current climate we live in calls for rotation of squads, and those that haven’t got such luxury are exactly where they should be, propping up the league. :hide:
I thought Kane should have been partnered with Son to give him that extra boost. A sad ending to the night, we conceded to our old enemy. And what did they do to show their joy? They ripped our signs up and the FA are not going to do anything about it. I wonder what would have happened if it was the other way around? There seems, in our football league, or premier league, a favouritism policy.
Let us hope that Saturday's match against City will be a totally different squad. The same squad that beat the Eagles last Sunday.  :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Offline Ruth

• Hero: Harry Kane
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 10:13:13 AM »

Hi Riffhard, I think you misunderstood voice’s comments about blessing in disguise. He wasn’t glad that we were defeated, none of us were, but it has happened - a blessing in disguise - so we must make the most of it. I must say, so eloquently, though longwinded, put (sorry, voice,  I love you really :hide: :lol:).

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline Spursx

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 12:21:06 PM »
Ruth, don't be silly, RiffHard is having voice on. Of course he knows what it means. As for voice. Don't you know when somebody is pulling your leg?  :lol: :lol:

As for commenting on this match, I'll pass. As soon as you saw the lineup you could guess the score, or at least it might have gone into penalties. Let us hope that City will be a different result, but I somehow doubt it, that is why I've put for City to win in the prediction section.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 01:09:12 PM »
Yes, sorry Riffhard, I thought you were being serious there, I should have realised that you knew what it meant. You caught me on that one... fair play to you, wanting to add some humour to your post. May I suggest that next time use a smilie as it is hard, sometimes, to distinguish between straight talking and leg pulling  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :lol:
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 01:54:39 PM »
Blessing in Disguise or not, it's always very painful to lose to the Arse, particularly on our own turf.  >:(

I agree that Poch could have played a stronger side at least for this one game so that we would lose to Sheffield instead  :nope:

Disappointing, but we'll get over it! :nods:

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 04:10:07 PM »
Blessing in Disguise or not, it's always very painful to lose to the Arse, particularly on our own turf.  >:(

I agree that Poch could have played a stronger side at least for this one game so that we would lose to Sheffield instead  :nope:

Disappointing, but we'll get over it! :nods:

Yes, and that is why, I believe, he should have used the same squad that beat Palace on Sunday. But that is now over and we must concentrate on the league and Europa. Let us show something in tomorrow's match. :up:
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do