SpursNetwork

Sunderland 0 Spurs 1

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Sunderland 0 Spurs 1
« on: September 14, 2015, 07:58:14 PM »
  This was our first win of the season, thanks to a Mason goal. We also must remember that Sunderland is struggling at the bottom of the Premier League. It wasn’t until the second have that Spurs broke the deadlock. Mason swerved past onrushing Costel Pantilimon, scored and then injured himself and had to  be substituted. Carroll came on for him. Pochettino said that the goal showed team philosophy. Defoe had the best chance prior to the goal when his shot hit the woodwork. Spurs have moved up to 12th, while Sunderland supports the other teams at the bottom. The new signing Son played well, but then started to fade. It wasn’t until Lamela and Townsend came on that things heated up.

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino said: "We will assess Mason tomorrow [he was injured while scoring]. It was a big knock on the knee. It was a great goal and we showed how we try to play. "The first half was 50-50, an open game, but we dominated the second half. I'm very pleased for our first victory. We played a high tempo from the beginning. "I am very happy with Son, he played really well. He is a good player for us."
 Spurs had 54% of the play. We also had four shots on goal to their two.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Sunderland 0 Spurs 1
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:00:57 AM »
I was really worried this one was heading for the draw. And of course, Kaboul and Defoe were really up to it  :grin: . I really hope Mason's injury is not serious because that would be a shame now that he really got going.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »
Not a good performance and in fact some woeful like Chadli, Walker & Son.
Kane missed a sitter (or two) & Defoe should have scored
Lucky to win this as Sunderland tried harder!
Hopefully will be a little different when Erikson returns.

Offline Ruth

• Hero: Harry Kane
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »
It goes to show you how important substitutes are. Bringing on Lamela and Townsend made all the difference. Maybe it also has something to do with fighting for their position as well.
Even though Kane didn’t score he did make a great contribution and fought for every ball. We need to give him time and I have no doubt that he will again be top scorer. We also must remember that Kane didn’t start at the beginning of the season (last season) and came on and scored all those goals. As for Son, he played very well, but started to die off. But we must remember that this is a different league to what he is used to. He will get there eventually. I thought Ali played very well and was a great buy for the club.
I am looking forward to the next to games.  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

spursjoolz, we always have difficulties against clubs at the lower end of the league. I also thought Sunderland played well, until they made some silly mistakes and let in the Mason goals.

:up: :D

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 04:39:07 PM »
We are looking at the amount of goals we haven't scored, or games we haven't won. But there is another side of this coin. We've defended and only have conceded four goals (one of them was an our fault; own goal). Only City, United and Ars*nal have conceded less goals (three apiece for Ars*nal & United and no goals for City). And don't forget the league champions - Chelsea - have conceded 12 goals. So a lot to play for and a couple of wins will propel us up the table. And don't forget we are above Chelsea (again, and mention, the league champions :lol:).
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Spursx

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:56:22 PM »
This was a frustrating game. I thought we did well enough to win, at the same time Sunderland frustrated us. Many times Defoe came close, but was foiled by the woodwork. At least we are improving. The next two games should show more improvement from the team.

Offline Jane

• Hero: Lamela
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 02:57:41 PM »
We need to up our game, but I must admit it all looks positive at the moment. We are defending well and at least Kane is scoring for England. Which, to be fair, wasn't that difficult against weak opposition, but nevertheless he scored. I hope Mason will be fit for our next match tomorrow. But at least we got that all important win  against Sunderland.

Jane x

Offline Blackjack

• http://www.myspace.com/chirpy69
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 04:42:07 PM »
Any game after the internationals is a hard game and with Sunderlands new recruits they got everyone behind the ball and countered very well, we never played great but sometimes you need to win ugly and this is what we did, sure we rode are luck a few times but one real bit of quality separated a tight fought game.
It was nice to keep a clean sheet and clearly theres more work to do in deference but there is still new players to integrate into the first team, my only real concern is our slow build up, we need to be much quicker in our attacks.
SPURS TILL I DIE
DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS.