SpursNetwork

Spurs 2 Stoke 2

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Spurs 2 Stoke 2
« on: August 16, 2015, 04:39:07 PM »
This started off so very well and we got a well deserved two goal lead. The second half wasn't too bad until Stoke made a substitute. Eric Dier gave Tottenham the lead with a header from a corner and Spurs added a second before half-time when Nacer Chadli volleyed in at the back post.  Mame Diouf headed in a late equaliser for Stoke as they fought back from two goals down to draw against Tottenham.  Arnautovic got a penalty in the 78 minute (their first goal).

We had 53% of the possession. Shots on goal was about equal (7 each).

Kane was taken off because he wasn't match fit, but what I couldn't understand was why he didn't put on Carroll? Lamela took his place and then gave the ball way on a number of occasions and was booed by some fans.

We should have won this match comfortably. I agree that we need another striker, but the Cameroon player we just bought preferred position is on the wings.

Our next game will be against the current league leaders Leicester City who are having a good run. And it is at their ground.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Spursx

Re: Spurs 2 Stoke 2
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:39:47 PM »
In the first half we were all over them. In the second I expected more goals, then we take off Kane, they put two subs on and the whole game changes. We need to sort this problem out quickly otherwise we will be looking at the wrong end of the table. Yes, only two games have gone by and things can change easily enough. I was also surprised that we didn't bring on Carroll, even though I question his experience.

Ars*nal & City won today and if we even hope of getting into the top four we must do catchup pretty quickly.

Leicester won't be an easy pushover. They've got confidence, a winning streak and a good manager. And of course they are in a good position at the moment. Of course that won't last, but that doesn't mean we can expect easy pickings. If we are going to get a striker then get him quickly.

Offline Jane

• Hero: Lamela
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:42:37 AM »
I agree with most what is said here, we started off well and made bad substitutes and collapsed. Stoke also made inspired substitutes. We need to tighten up defensively and get another striker. I said somewhere else on here that the WBA would be a good bet, but we do need another striker and maybe another midfield player.

The press say that we didn't have a recognized striker on the bench, that was true, but I couldn't see why he didn't use Carroll. Kane wasn't a recognized striker until he become one. If we don't give these young players a chance then their metal will never be tested.

Jane x

Offline Don

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »
Howdy all,

I hope you all had a nice summer's break and ready for the new Premier league season, as I know I am.

I watched both games on TV and highlights and the Manchester United game I thought we should have won. As for the Stoke game at White Hart Lane, I was disappointed that we didn't win, as I am sure you all were. The first half we had most of the game and deserved to go two up. The second half we let our guard down and this was disappointing. We've played two games now and only have one point to show for it. At least Chelsea are in the same boat, but conceded more goals. There is time for both of us to pick up and challenging for top honours.

I remember many games from the past, when I used to go to White Hart Lane, and we had started off badly, only to end the season in a good position. The manager seems to know what  he is doing, what he expects from the team. Yes, he needs another one or two players and there is still a few weeks to go before the transfer window closes. Next game will be a tricky one as teams like Leicester surprise top teams. They had a good run at the end of last season, and seem to have started off with the same enthusiasm as they did last season, and of course they’ve also got a new and experienced manager. So let us hope Spurs get their act together by the time they travel up to Leicester.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:29:16 PM »
I agree with most what is said here, we started off well and made bad substitutes and collapsed. Stoke also made inspired substitutes. We need to tighten up defensively and get another striker. I said somewhere else on here that the WBA would be a good bet, but we do need another striker and maybe another midfield player.

The press say that we didn't have a recognized striker on the bench, that was true, but I couldn't see why he didn't use Carroll. Kane wasn't a recognized striker until he become one. If we don't give these young players a chance then their metal will never be tested.

Jane x

I  think that replacing Kane with Lamela was our downfall. It gave Stoke confidence to go forward without the threat of Kane scoring.

Just saying  :tickedoff:

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 04:12:10 PM »
I agree wit that. I would have brought on Carroll and give Ali a try out as he seems to be a great young prospect.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.