Modric in the middle

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Tottenham v Man City
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2010, 01:35:02 PM »
f**king hell! what have we got to do to score???

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2010, 01:43:48 PM »
Some great performances by
Bale, Modric, Dawson, King, Ekotto, Lennon, Defoe & Gomes
Please lets go on and win.
Maybe bring on Keano for Crouch??

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »
Well, not a bad result for the first game of the season and against a strong team. I can't say I'm happy we didn't win but we looked really good and City can be very-very thankful to Hart. Actually I like the fact that we have a gelled squad whereas City has a new squad between every transfer window and it was obvious today.

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 03:05:21 PM »
How the feck did we not win that, I now have several bald patches from tearing my hear out.
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline SpursLad

• Peng.
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2010, 03:13:03 PM »
If today doesn't reaffirm the point we need a top class striker, nothing will.

A combination of Joe Hart and our lack of a predator meant that was 2 points dropped, against a City side there for the taking.

I am disappointed, but at the same time think a point at home to City is definately one I would take. COYS.

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
Re: Tottenham 0-0 Man City
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2010, 03:27:21 PM »
Highlights posted  :up:

Offline Dom07Tottenham

• Hero: Gareth Bale
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2010, 03:39:50 PM »
Everyone looked good, very unlucky not to get the 3 points, controlled possession first half, looked dangerous with the ball, and everyone got stuck in in defence closing City down well getting vital stops, great game, Hart and the goalposts were outstanding to deny us, again and again, was very worried that we wouldn't get one past him.

Good point we created enough chances, just we were not clinical enough in front of goal, we were extremely unlucky not to score. Crouchy's hold up play was great, but I never see him as a clinical striker or a goal scorer, his best chances are always from headers, so when he plays Defoe has to be the one bagging the goals or Bale. My only fear is if someone comes in I'm sure it would mean the end for Pav, or Keane.
I was surprised at Bale's first miss, with gaping goal he mistimed the shot, and then again when he headed he went for goal himself when Keane was wide open at the far post, I was a little dissapointed with him on that one, that being said he had a great game and our most potent weapon going forward.
Great to see Keane, Pav, and Dos Santos get runs, Dos Santos on the right wing was interesting, he has real pace and trickery on the ball but I believe he needs to develop his long ball so that defenders give him a bit more room, as he is a dribbler can see him getting boxed into a corner sometimes, but usually has support or good enough touch to maintain possession.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:42:05 PM by Dom07Tottenham »

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2010, 07:41:05 PM »
Where is Niko Kranjcar?

Offline pukekohespur

• Hero: Greaves
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2010, 10:20:53 PM »
What the hell was Gomes wearing? Surely that outfit is a criminal offence.
Good to see that all that made Tottenham such a great team last season was on show again. Bale and Lennon sparkled, Modric was everywhere etc etc. But for me BAE was once again outstanding. Man of the match. The other highlight was just how hungry Daws was.
We didn't score but all the signs were there for another great season.
Pav looked promising abd Like so many of us i really think Gio needs to be given game time, he just seemed to be trying a bit too hard to imoress, but thats understandable.

"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is." Danny Blanchflower

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2010, 11:08:33 PM »
Ya know, I think Comes CL Against them young boys. Gio should play with Crouch upfront! Rest Defoe

Offline Nosey

• Greaves was the greatest
    • Peter Blight L Driver Skills
  • Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2010, 09:56:25 AM »
Can't help it... it's Sunday morning and I've woken up in an all too familiar mood of depresion.  Yes, plenty of positives.  Yes, Bale is excellent - as were most of the team.  Yes, we didn't let one in.  The coming season is something to look forward to, but why, oh why, didn't we score and go on to win the game in style?  I do hope I'm not going to be feeling like this too many times this season...  I've had too many years of it.  Oh dear, oh dear...  I just get so fed up of having to look for the positives instead of just basking in the glory.  Let's hope Harry spends some money on that elusive striker.  Call it a clinical striker, a clever striker, a goal poacher or whatever.  But someone that can OUTWIT a goalkeeper.  Chances count for nothing.  Sorry about the rant, and ever upwards and upwards COYS!
Nosey spur

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »
It was a performance we can all be proud of. Just lacked a "1" in the score sheet.

I'm confident the goals will come, we are doing the right things, we were just up against a keeper in the form of his life!n
COYS!

Offline SomersetYiddo

• Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2010, 01:44:59 PM »
Great first half performance but the ssecond half we let City come back into the game. Ekottos tackle on wright phillips to deny him was magnificant! He was in and would have scored no doubt. Everyone played well today but my god dont we need a new striker, the amount of chances we had was ridiculous and we need a new targetman up front ASAP. Also nice to see Gio having a run oout, the pre season form must have done something to change Harrys mind.

Offline Colspur66

• Hero: Glen Hoddle
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2010, 02:26:38 PM »

I thought it was a good performance, an entertaining game and just about an ok result. Would have liked all 3 points but 1 point from a game against a City side who most people think can challenge for the title (personally I don't think city are anywhere near good enough to win the league) is just about satisfactory. Gomes had absolutely nothing to do, the defence looked solid, midfield worked hard and created onlt downside was no end product from any of the strikers, though have to say Joe Hart was terrific.

On the subject of new strikers who do people think we should go after. It appears that money is not as readily available as we would like. Loic Remy is a name that keeps cropping up but I'm not sure he is the proliffic goalscorer we are looking for. I'm also not a fan of Bellamy he never seems to be far from trouble and could have an unstabling effect on the rest of the squad. At risk of causing uproar I would not be adversed to making a bid for Adebayor. Failling that I would give Jon Obika a chance, he has always looked lively in friendlies and has a good scoring record for the reserves.
What do others think........