Everton v Tottenham

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Everton v Tottenham
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 06:31:38 PM »
Even though the result at the weekend wasn't a happy one we mustn't forget that we are still in a healthy position.

If we keep shipping goals at the end of matches like we have so far this season then our position will start to look rather unhealthy, AVB's insistence on defending one goal leads is costing us points !!!!

:nope:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Colspur66

• Hero: Glen Hoddle
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 08:48:22 PM »
Have to blame Caulker 100% for the equalliser. Lloris can quite clearly be heard calling to claim the ball only for Caulker to attempt to hoof it away. If he leaves it for Lloris he catches it and kills another 30 seconds.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 09:38:22 PM »
Even though the result at the weekend wasn't a happy one we mustn't forget that we are still in a healthy position.

If we keep shipping goals at the end of matches like we have so far this season then our position will start to look rather unhealthy, AVB's insistence on defending one goal leads is costing us points !!!!

:nope:

How do you know that AVB insisted that we defend a one goal lead?

I agree with you on the first part though.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 09:39:07 PM »
Have to blame Caulker 100% for the equalliser. Lloris can quite clearly be heard calling to claim the ball only for Caulker to attempt to hoof it away. If he leaves it for Lloris he catches it and kills another 30 seconds.

I agree. He should have left it to the goalkeeper.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 07:33:34 AM »

I agree. He should have left it to the goalkeeper.
[/quote

Caulker is young, but very talented, and IMO will become a top CB. What we do seem to lack is a dominant defender, someone to take charge in these situations where they all flap under pressure. Somehow Dawson and Gallas dont quite do it for the full 90 minutes. Maybe Verthongen needs to speak up more. Whatever happens we must persist with Caulker, for like Lloris, Dembele, Walker and Verthongen he is our future. Given time and the right coaching, once BAE is fit, surely we will have a solid back 4 ?]

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 08:59:02 AM »
Voice,
 Wake up to yourself man, Like it or not AVB is the man making the decisions regarding substitutions and has to take responsibility for them, conceding late goals is unfortunately becoming a habit of late, and it is starting to cost us points, and in most cases its because of panic in the defence.
      He is the coach and as such he has to start insisting that his defence, late in the game Bloody Well STOPS hoofing the ball out of defence and starts passing it to OUR PLAYERS so we have at least some chance of keeping possession, because by hoofing it out 9 times out of 10 it will find an opposition player and will eventually come back, thus putting the defence under more pressure, surely you must agree that the best form of defence is attack, and possession is nine tenths of the law is it not?

>:( >:( >:(
:SN:[font

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »
  Obviously you haven't read my post, it is a fact that almost 50% of goals are scored in the 1st 5 and last 5 mins of each half, and I do not recall blaming AVB for Sundays loss, what I did say was after reading his comment on the Spurs Website,that he is "hugely disappointed", that as the coach he should "Bloody Well sort it out", so that it stops happening, because I am sorry it ain't acceptable, it is happening to often,(by that I mean we are conceding too many late goals and it is starting to cost us)and the buck stops with him, end of story.Get it f---ing sorted out. YES I AM PISSED OFF!!

Yes, I think we all read your post and you are absolutely spot on. This has to stop. :tickedoff:

That said, we are not the only ones to concede goals in the dying minutes. Swansea performed a similar trick to Ars*nal a couple of weeks ago and I thought that was hilarious.  :lol:

No so funny when it happens to us, is it?  >:(

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »
Voice,
 Wake up to yourself man, Like it or not AVB is the man making the decisions regarding substitutions and has to take responsibility for them, conceding late goals is unfortunately becoming a habit of late, and it is starting to cost us points, and in most cases its because of panic in the defence.
First of all you should go back and check what I said. I said or asked “How do you know that AVB insisted that we defend a one goal lead?” You reply was that “AVB was the man who makes the subs”. Yes, I know this. I also agree with what you said here. But it still doesn’t answer my question. Putting on subs doesn’t equate to instructing the players to sit back and hold on to a 1 goal lead. So I ask you the question again “How do you know that AVB insisted that we defend a one goal lead?”

He is the coach and as such he has to start insisting that his defence, late in the game Bloody Well STOPS hoofing the ball out of defence and starts passing it to OUR PLAYERS so we have at least some chance of keeping possession, because by hoofing it out 9 times out of 10 it will find an opposition player and will eventually come back, thus putting the defence under more pressure, surely you must agree that the best form of defence is attack, and possession is nine tenths of the law is it not?

On the second paragraph I am not disagreeing with you.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 07:16:46 AM »
    Personally, I believe it is quite obvious simply by the players that he is taking off, and the players that he is replacing them with, not always I agree, but in most cases he tries to flood the midfield with defensive type players, especially late in games when we have a 1 goal lead, which to me is a clear indication that he is trying to shut up shop, and unfortunately it ain't been working as a lot of our results have shown.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 07:51:41 AM »
    Personally, I believe it is quite obvious simply by the players that he is taking off, and the players that he is replacing them with, not always I agree, but in most cases he tries to flood the midfield with defensive type players, especially late in games when we have a 1 goal lead, which to me is a clear indication that he is trying to shut up shop, and unfortunately it ain't been working as a lot of our results have shown.

Until we learn to pass it around at the back, and in midfield to maintain possession and frustrate the opposition, we will continue to have a problem shutting out games in the last 10 minutes.
Make no mistake, with 3 minutes to go, Everton were beaten and had given up. We let them back in and fired them all up again.

Offline a12 warrior

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2012, 08:07:31 AM »
Some teams can kill the game by keeping the ball but Spurs are not one of those teams.
I think that teams have worked out that if Spurs have a 1-0 lead they will always try to shut up shop home or away and if you throw everything at them there is a good chance they will crack.

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2012, 10:10:16 AM »
     Don't you think that it is strange that everyone else can see it, everyone, except our esteemed coaching panel, yet they still persist in being so predictable, and that is what really pisses me off.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2012, 11:05:07 AM »
     Don't you think that it is strange that everyone else can see it, everyone, except our esteemed coaching panel, yet they still persist in being so predictable, and that is what really pisses me off.

There is an old saying " you can point someone at the station, but you cannot make the train come in " It would appear that AVB has tried every defender available, with not much luck.

Maybe when we get Kaboul & BAE fit, combined with Walker & Verthongen, plus a creative midfielder, then things will improve in this department.

Its worth remembering that AVB inherited the bulk of this squad

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »

Well it is a good prognosis but not necessarily the right one. There could be other reasons he made the subs in the way he did. Injury, tiredness or some other reason we don't know about. Then again your reasoning could be the correct one. Personally I am not too sure. Whatever the truth is let us hope he solves the problem of last minute defeats.

I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2012, 05:06:43 PM »

That is a good point, however, and as I pointed out above, they might know something we don't and that is why they made the decisions they did.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do