Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Tottenham 0-0 Manchester United
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2011, 08:35:16 PM »
Gareth you really are talking nonsense.

In the season where we missed out on 4th on the last game of season, with the whole flu gate.

When Carrick played CM

Defoe and Keane played up front together plenty of times, just look it up

Just by a quick look last 5 games of that season Defoe and Keane played upfront together, they started at least 10 games upfront together and thats not even including cup games or games where they both finished on the pitch
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:46:48 PM by Biggs »

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »
Wow, people still bother to reply to Gareth on here. What is the point in discussing anything with Mr Irrelevent or indeed what is the point in Gareth at all?

Back to todays game, thought we played alright but both defences clearly played well. Modric was class as usual and a good shift from a lot of other players as well. No coincidence that upon his return we have managed a couple of clean sheets so well done Daws.

If only the big giraffe had stuck that one away about the 15th minute from Huttons cross(?). What really annoys me is when Crouch misses he always has some stupid grin on his face like he is almost pleased!

And before anyone hassles me for that comment i dont actually mean he is pleased i just wish he had some sort of sad face he could roll out for a change.

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2011, 08:56:31 PM »
pretty sure that Mido-Keane were the preferred choice.... Modo then went off for the African Nations Cup (Egypt got to the Final and won, so he was away a good few weeks)...

I remember the 1st 2 games that season when Mido-Defoe played, we beat Portsmouth I think and after 2 games we topped the Prem.... Jol was the manager then and it was well recorded he had misgivings about playing '2 little-uns together' as he said frequently....

I remember Mido playing at Anfield that year, getting sent off against Chavski, assisting 1 and scoring 1 against Citeh away, etc etc.... so I doubt Jol played Keane-Defoe in the league much unless he had little choice..

Offline Biggs

• To Dare Is To Do
    • SpursNetwork
  • Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2011, 08:59:32 PM »
they all played around 25 games, Mido, Defoe & Keane.  There was always rotation that season including Rasiak.

Offline cobra

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
well done tottenham hotspur today, well played guys, we were excellent, and it shows how far we have come, we outplayed manure, and if it wasnt for vidic, who was absolutely excellent, we would have scored no doubt, he was everywhere, and deserves praise.
the only player who didnt do it for me, and im not slagging him off, was peter crouch, the guy just isnt very good at scoring, he tries, he sets people up , a bit, but we so need a class striker, to finish some of our wonderful moves, which deserve goals, peter crouch is a good option player, but not a starting eleven player, he is just so limited, he is plan b, not plan a.
well done you spurs, i really enjoyed that performance today, and i think most other spurs fans did also.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2011, 09:02:52 PM »
After some much needed flashbacks and analysis from Gareth Keown, back to today's game. Maybe I'm not used to demand a win against ManU but I'm actually quite pleased with today's result. If you don't concede, you cannot lose. Next time...  ;)

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2011, 09:14:48 PM »
Lasagnegate Season 05/06

Defoe..................36 Prem appearances..........9 goals

Keane.................36 .......................................16 goals

Mido.................. .27........................................11 goals

but Mido had 2 months off for the African Nations Cup, he was a regular in the side til January (last game at Anfield, before AC of Nations)..... only then did Jol start playing Defoe-Keane pairing regularly..

as well as scoring 11 Prem goals, Mido also had more assists than Keane and Defoe combined..... and thats with 2 months in the African Cup...

Rasiak had 8 appearances in total that year.... incl. mostly as substitute or in non-Prem games...

FACT.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:19:15 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »
well done tottenham hotspur today, well played guys, we were excellent, and it shows how far we have come, we outplayed manure, and if it wasnt for vidic, who was absolutely excellent, we would have scored no doubt, he was everywhere, and deserves praise.
the only player who didnt do it for me, and im not slagging him off, was peter crouch, the guy just isnt very good at scoring, he tries, he sets people up , a bit, but we so need a class striker, to finish some of our wonderful moves, which deserve goals, peter crouch is a good option player, but not a starting eleven player, he is just so limited, he is plan b, not plan a.
well done you spurs, i really enjoyed that performance today, and i think most other spurs fans did also.

Like your post cobra. A class striker is indeed what is missing and vidic was superb today.

We will get it right against them when we meet in the CL final :up:

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2011, 12:09:24 AM »
I missed the game today totally gutted not to watch it, and was certain we would pull of a victory but a draw is still good enough and a point in the bag.

As we had Crouch start (never keen on that option) were there a lot of long high balls hit up to him with a hope he might head it correctly??? Pav or Defoe should have started IMO Crouch is too easy for a cecent Cb to handle.

Happy with the point today, can somone sum up how we played for me please better from here the gutter press.
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline SomersetYiddo

• Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2011, 10:32:36 AM »
Im happy with a draw, and i would have bitten someones hand off if they offered me a draw before the game. Happy we kept a clean sheet (Dawson you really are a legend and i would let you shag my girl anyday). Gutted that it was another 0-0 though! I must have been to about 20 goalless draws in the past few years and i dont get down there as often as i use to! Atmosphere was excellent as always! Well done Spurs! YID ARMY

Offline WilsonJet

• Mouthy Yank
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
Keane and Defoe were 1st choice for Harry at the very beginning of last season (Fall '09) and Crouch was the impact player...

Back to the game...my wife made an excellent point post-match. When she asked about the result, I informed her that it was a scoreless draw. She then asked why I wasn't pleased. I replied that I believed we should have won and that we had let an opportunity pass. She laughed and said, "Just look at how far Spurs have come! A year ago you would have been happy to prevent United from scoring, now you EXPECT to beat them! Sounds like they're doing great."

She's right. We may be in 5th place, but there isn't a single team in the Premiership we should fear. In fact, the only team in the world I would not EXPECT to get a result against is Barcelona at Camp Nou. I sincerely hope that we can bring in a top-flight striker. No one will want to play us then. We would have finished ManUtd with a little more class up front.
He's strained his left adductor muscle it says. Whats that then ? Do we all have those or just footballers ? I wonder how mine are ? *courtesy of taimedowne*

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »
of course Defoe-Keane was his preferred pairing at the beginning of last season.... Mido and Berbatov had already left and Bent too

but even that was soon overcome, as soon as Crouch demonstrated even a modicum of credibility as a starting-striker....

and I repeated.... over the last 5yrs, Defoe-Keane were never played as a preferred 1st-choice, or at most: on very few extended periods

Offline WilsonJet

• Mouthy Yank
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2011, 02:06:40 PM »
So it never happened except for when it did. Gotcha.
He's strained his left adductor muscle it says. Whats that then ? Do we all have those or just footballers ? I wonder how mine are ? *courtesy of taimedowne*

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »
Keane and Defoe were 1st choice for Harry at the very beginning of last season (Fall '09) and Crouch was the impact player...

Back to the game...my wife made an excellent point post-match. When she asked about the result, I informed her that it was a scoreless draw. She then asked why I wasn't pleased. I replied that I believed we should have won and that we had let an opportunity pass. She laughed and said, "Just look at how far Spurs have come! A year ago you would have been happy to prevent United from scoring, now you EXPECT to beat them! Sounds like they're doing great."

She's right. We may be in 5th place, but there isn't a single team in the Premiership we should fear. In fact, the only team in the world I would not EXPECT to get a result against is Barcelona at Camp Nou. I sincerely hope that we can bring in a top-flight striker. No one will want to play us then. We would have finished ManUtd with a little more class up front.

Great post and I totally agree...... I'm gutted we never beat them but the gap in class between us is so small now you couldn't tell who the league leaders were but just watching !!!!!!

I think we should now break the bank and sign Andy Carroll and no matter what happens Luca Modric must stay at the Lane, I'm beginning to think this little Croatian wizard is going to be as much of a legend at White Hart Lane as a certain Mr Hoddle !!!!!!!!!!

:ohyeah:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline cobra

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2011, 02:39:39 PM »
i watched the lottery boys s**tty the other day, hoping to see wolves beat them, and it so nearly happened, wolves outclassed them in the first half, but then lost their way in the 2nd, pity, now im telling you guys s**tty, even with nearly a billion spent on players , they are still average, but what makes them dangerous is tevez, without him they would struggle, no doubt, and dzeko will be okay also, but they will be beaten quite a few more times, especially by us, by the way they are still spending, and uefa are not impressed by this, they are so in debt, theyre a joke, trying to BUY glory.
if we had a player as dangerous as tevez, you could add 10 points at least to our points total, thats what we so need, and we must buy one in jan, i would try for aguero, suarez.