SpursNetwork

Stoke 1-2 Tottenham

Offline Aosoth

• Hero: Gary Mabutt
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Stoke 1-2 Tottenham
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2010, 01:12:57 PM »
I'm not naive and you don't need to condescend to everyone who doesn't share your viewpoint - this is part of why I am firmly of the opinion that you are a troll Gareth - it's all about getting a reaction, respect for others be damned.

If you can prove intent, beyond reasonable doubt, then by all means go for it.  I am just of the firm opinion that it opens a can of worms and it's not nearly as clear cut as you'd like to make it out to be.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Offline AuburnSpur

« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
you really are very naive aren't you.... theres been plenty of footage already in games where a player is so obviously 'going for the player' as his eyes are not remotely on the ball evwen but trained totally at the player and the part of his anatomy targeted for damage....

in those cases, I think malicious undue regard can quite easily be proven beyond reasonable doubt.... thats all you'd needf in a civil-court prosecution, as opposed to a criminal-court case..

you are an ostritch if you can't follow the logic of the argument so far.

What if the guy just has a lazy eye?  Dirty contact lens?  Shin fetish?

Offline Aosoth

• Hero: Gary Mabutt
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2010, 02:58:24 PM »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2010, 10:37:18 PM »
you really are very naive aren't you.... theres been plenty of footage already in games where a player is so obviously 'going for the player' as his eyes are not remotely on the ball evwen but trained totally at the player and the part of his anatomy targeted for damage....

in those cases, I think malicious undue regard can quite easily be proven beyond reasonable doubt.... thats all you'd needf in a civil-court prosecution, as opposed to a criminal-court case..

like any other civil-court case, all relevant information will be admissable and a studied verdict will be made... I think its now only a matter of time before a club goes down this route to seek recompence and also to send a signal to other teams in future that they had better watch their step and not target players for 'special treatment' ....

perhaps dearest Arsene could be a pioneer yet again... :coolsmiley:

Offline AuburnSpur

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2010, 11:40:08 PM »

like any other civil-court case, all relevant information will be admissable and a studied verdict will be made... I think its now only a matter of time before a club goes down this route to seek recompence and also to send a signal to other teams in future that they had better watch their step and not target players for 'special treatment' ....

perhaps dearest Arsene could be a pioneer yet again... :coolsmiley:

It's happened in hockey, but it's much easier to prove when you have something other than your body as a weapon.  If you have to watch super slow-mo to see where a player's eyes were focused, it would be incredibly difficult to ever get beyond a reasonable doubt.  All it would do is make some defense lawyers extremely wealthy for defending players. 

Not only that, but try getting an impartial jury for a case involving an EPL player.  There would have to a be a change of venue to another country.

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2010, 01:43:59 PM »
I really dont think that in civil-cases a jury is even used.... it would be decided thru due-process by reasoning, intelligent, experienced judges or magistrates not influenced by nuanced opinion on the finer points of Citeh over Blackburn Rovers...

it would take but 1 club to go forward with this idea and I think it would set a standard whereby cynical coaches will think twice about instructing their hired thugs to 'get stuck in' and 'let him know your there' and other cute euphemisms used to camouflage the pursuit of 'legalised' violence..