SpursNetwork

West Ham v Tottenham

Offline yidmafioso

• Season Ticket: No
Re: West Ham v Tottenham
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 08:10:17 PM »
All valid points but lets be honest , if juskelinan or whatever he`s called hadn`t been so good it would have been a cricket score .
Jussi Jääskeläinen is his name. Thank you sir i stand corrected :up:
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Adebayore will be a different proposition on sunday , mark my words  :up:
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 08:20:44 PM »

You are absolutely spot on RS your evalution is accurate and also fair. AVB is playing players out of position to accomadate the fact that we do not have a decent striker to play upfront !! Defoe injured Adebayor now has a contract and is in who gives a s**t mode and Dempsey just isn't good enough... so he is playing Bale through the middle to compensate !!!!
Dempsey is a squad player and isn’t as bad as you make him. As for Adebayor; that is just your discriminatory view and have no actual bases in known fact. Many players go through periods of bad form. Another point; we are playing slightly different than we did last year and the system might not suit him or he is trying to adapt to it.
Players are professionals and have to adapt to changing positions sometimes; in this case it is working and we are winning. Basically your views or antagonistic comments are actually based on your dislike of AVB; what we should be judging is where we are and where we end up. We could have the players or strikers you want and finish below 4th position or have what we got and finish in the top four. I couldn’t give a monkey’s if he played all goalkeepers in whatever position AVB wants; what I want and Spurs supporters want is a top 4 finish or higher.
This is great while Bale is in this form and fit but what happens if he gets injured or goes off the boil ? The fact that we didn't buy a decent striker in the window is still potentially our biggest problem and could still come back to bite us big time !!!
Or it might not. But you are correct about injury. But the same could be said about United and Van Persie or any top striker. United owe their current position to Van Perise; take him out of the equation and things could be different. In fact you could use many scenarios and come up with different equations; but let us live in the real world and see if Levy & AVB were right to stick with what they’ve got.
Let's make no bones about it Wet Spam are a mediocre team at best and we had to rely on a wonder goal from Mr Bale to get us 3 points, admittedly Jaskellion was MOTM but this just goes to show that we lack a cold clinical finisher up front theres a long way to go yet and we have built on shaky foundations hopefully they will take the extra weight without collapsing.
West Ham are a team that beat Chelsea this season and drawn against City. The clubs near the bottom can be the most dangerous and we should never underestimate them. You could argue that all wins are because of goal scorers (which is the bleeding bloody obvious). As I said previously Bale wouldn’t be able to shine if it wasn’t for the rest of the team; which is acknowledge by Bale himself and others.

As for a long way to go; of course there is, we’ve got a new manager with newish players. There is no team (or not many) in the English league who have done better in their first season (so far) and that includes Alex Ferguson.
But we are 3rd and AVB is proving me wrong, which I am quite happy to admit he still hasn't won me over completely and to be honest I don't think he ever will but credit where credits due keep it going AVB....COYS !!!!!

:-\ :-\ :-\

Why don’t you think he will not win you over? Because you are biased? There is not logical reason why he shouldn’t win anybody over if he does well; unless it is on the grounds of prejudice.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »
Thats exactly why I don't bother posting anymore

Thanks Voice for pointing out how "wrong" I am and how oh so right you are

:fist:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 09:44:45 PM »
Thats exactly why I don't bother posting anymore

Thanks Voice for pointing out how "wrong" I am and how oh so right you are

:fist:

But it isn’t a case of saying you’re wrong or right but debating the matter (that is what forums are for; expressing ones views, while others point out where they disagree). I am sure you and others think I am wrong (and there is nothing wrong with that); the point is we debate it.

If you think I am wrong then I welcome you pointing that out to me. I go on forums (not just this Spurs forum) but others, such as political forums, debate forums various topic forums; I post in the hope that somebody comes back at me and points out “my flaws in my arguments”; and of course if I don’t agree then we discuss it. Many times I’ve been on forums where somebody has come back at me and said I totally disagree with what you are saying and point out where. And in some cases I’ve agreed with that person, other times I’ve disagreed. You are taking it personal. Open forums are just that; to discuss, debate, disagree, agree etc. What we mustn’t do is take it personally or abuse that other person because we don’t agree. We must use our intellect/ intelligence to debate and not resort to profanities. In fact, believe it or not, I’ve enjoyed it when you, baldbloke, Mr Finch and a few others have come back at me. It has made me think and that is the way it is should be. So; it is not about me being “right” but challenging and questioning to see if I have any substances to what I’ve said; as I challenge to see what bases you have to what you have said. No disrespect was intended.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 07:16:04 AM »
      This is a forum not a debating society, if you want to debate join a debating society, you, Voice are the reason I WILL NOT BE POSTING ON THIS SITE AGAIN. I thought this was the SPURS NETWORK, not the VOICE Network, and judging by the amount of regular posters that are now not posting it would appear that others share my opinion.
      Thanks to the rest of you, whose comments I have enjoyed reading and whose opinions whilst, I may not have agreed with, never-the-less have been entertaining.

C O Y S  :spurs: :SN: :coys:    
:SN:[font

Offline Yiddite

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 07:44:34 AM »
Know where you and Ugs are coming from.
Feel the same but as its not my posts being torn apart
generally don't mind reading  another viewpoint.

However I wouldn't want my posts dismantled paragraph by paragraph.

[size=78%]     [/size] ;)

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »
Terrific result! I didn't see the game, but it seems that it was a real derby match at its best.

A terrific result yes, but to be brutally honest I thought much of our play was poor. Adebayor was completely hopeless. Lennon was OK in fits and starts. Holtby was again good 1st half but faded. Parker I thought was very poor. He was slow in the tackle and gave away a bad penalty that re-ignited a West Ham side that were ready to collapse at the time. Yet again his end product was nonexistent. Dembele I thought was also poor.
Verthonghen did his best at left wing, which he clearly isn't. Caulker and Walker were good going forwards, and Caulker could have had a couple of goals on another day. But as a back 4 they were caught out a few times trying to play the offside trap. I really dont like this continual rotating of the back 4. Sigurdsson I thought looked lively, and had a great shot turned onto the post, which Ade somehow managed to miss the rebound. And lastly, Bale was Bale, yet again. He's winning tight games which is good. But in all honesty, if we are aspiring to top 3 / 4 we should be beating teams like West Ham out of sight without the need for Bale to rescue the team in injury time.

Our real test at this level will against Ars*nal, Chelsea, and Man City. We will see if what I am saying is near the mark or not. As AVB rightly said, we need to beat Ars*nal to make the gap 7 points, and that will still not be enough, it will not be over even then.

You are absolutely spot on RS your evalution is accurate and also fair. AVB is playing players out of position to accomadate the fact that we do not have a decent striker to play upfront !! Defoe injured Adebayor now has a contract and is in who gives a s**t mode and Dempsey just isn't good enough... so he is playing Bale through the middle to compensate !!!!
This is great while Bale is in this form and fit but what happens if he gets injured or goes off the boil ? The fact that we didn't buy a decent striker in the window is still potentially our biggest problem and could still come back to bite us big time !!!
Let's make no bones about it Wet Spam are a mediocre team at best and we had to rely on a wonder goal from Mr Bale to get us 3 points, admittedly Jaskellion was MOTM but this just goes to show that we lack a cold clinical finisher up front theres a long way to go yet and we have built on shaky foundations hopefully they will take the extra weight without collapsing.
But we are 3rd and AVB is proving me wrong, which I am quite happy to admit he still hasn't won me over completely and to be honest I don't think he ever will but credit where credits due keep it going AVB....COYS !!!!!

:-\ :-\ :-\

UGS you and I obviously are singing from the same sheet on this one. As hard as I try, I cannot find anything good about our play in the 1st half, other than Bale's brilliant goal. Following that, we temporarily looked like we might smash them about 5-0 until our bad defending gave them hope. Our passing through midfield was dreadful, and as anyone who follows West Ham will tell you, they are rubbish this season, we should not be struggling against them. At times they were passing better than us. Admittedly, with a decent striker we might have put them to bed earlier, but that does not excuse poor displays, and costly errors, by certain players.
Can anybody honestly say that we played well ? Does nobody remember how well we started against Ars*nal, only to be demolished because they have quality in midfield and attack, and similarly we let them back in and gave them hope. You cannot do that against top sides and get away with it.

The one thing I disagree with you on is AVB. I have liked him since day 1, for the kind of football he is trying to play, with only half a team who are good enough to do it. He is passionate, does not get involved in mind games, tells things as they are, gives every single player in the squad a chance in the prem to prove themselves. Just look at Caulker, given how young he is, and the understandable youthful errors, I believe he will go on to become a regular CB for us and England, and AVB is continuing to support him.

Just look at how AVB and Bale were embracing at the end. Sums the spirit and passion for Spurs of AVB up for me.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 08:47:09 AM »
      This is a forum not a debating society, if you want to debate join a debating society, you, Voice are the reason I WILL NOT BE POSTING ON THIS SITE AGAIN. I thought this was the SPURS NETWORK, not the VOICE Network, and judging by the amount of regular posters that are now not posting it would appear that others share my opinion.
      Thanks to the rest of you, whose comments I have enjoyed reading and whose opinions whilst, I may not have agreed with, never-the-less have been entertaining.

C O Y S  :spurs: :SN: :coys:    

You are totally right that this isn’t a debating society, but a Spurs forum that has a wide range of views on Spurs with all different members. We are here to discuss Spurs, share, reminisce and enjoy (discuss or discussion is another word for debating). I think the trouble here is that you have your views and don’t like it if people disagree. However, you have come back at me and tore off a few strips because you didn’t agree with me; I accepted that and welcomed it. An open forum means different views and a wide range of discussions. As I said in my previous post it was nothing personal. We both have a love for Spurs and are very passionate; on a lot of ways we also agree on certain things. This is a great Spurs forum and we should appreciate other people’s views; but that doesn’t mean we must keep silent if we disagree. Again, no offence was intended; just a heavily discussion on where we differ.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:59:27 AM by Voice »
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 08:49:46 AM »
Know where you and Ugs are coming from.
Feel the same but as its not my posts being torn apart
generally don't mind reading  another viewpoint.

However I wouldn't want my posts dismantled paragraph by paragraph.

[size=78%]     [/size] ;)

If somebody makes points that you regard as silly, absurd or wrong then it must be right that we comment. My posts have been ‘dismantled’ as you say and I’ve accepted it; it must work both ways. An open forum attracts differences.  If people disagree with me then feel free to challenge, put me in my place or dismantle what I said.

This is a brilliant Spurs forum and it is a brilliant forum because of its differences and wide range of views.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline pukekohespur

• Hero: Greaves
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
Whilst I agree that if you post on a forum then be prepared to have your comments discussed /disagreed with/ supported/ criticized etc.
What I don't agree with is that is a 'brilliant Spurs forum'.
It was once a few years ago. There were a large number of posters and the discussion was wide and varied and international. It is no longer such a shining star. The old hands are quiet and the forums are dominated by a few. To be honest the depth of discussion has also slipped and personally I find many of the posts quite superficial.
That is life, all things change. I don't really care though because my team is 3rd in the league and still in Europe. I don't care because Bale is pure poetry to watch and i don't care because I have followed the Spurs for about 45 years and most of those seasons have been pretty hard work but the last few have been a dream. I'm just enjoying the ride.
"Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is." Danny Blanchflower

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
Whilst I agree that if you post on a forum then be prepared to have your comments discussed /disagreed with/ supported/ criticized etc.
It was once a few years ago. There were a large number of posters and the discussion was wide and varied and international. It is no longer such a shining star. The old hands are quiet and the forums are dominated by a few. To be honest the depth of discussion has also slipped and personally I find many of the posts quite superficial.
That is life, all things change. I don't really care though because my team is 3rd in the league and still in Europe. I don't care because Bale is pure poetry to watch and i don't care because I have followed the Spurs for about 45 years and most of those seasons have been pretty hard work but the last few have been a dream. I'm just enjoying the ride.

As I've only recently joined I can only speak as I see it now. But I do agree with your optimism and may it continue. As I said previously, I see this as only the beginning. :up:
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »

Whilst I agree with you that some of the topics can be a bit superficial, it would be improved if more of the "old hands" did participate.  I like this forum and I will continue to post and hopefully, not only the regulars will do likewise but the "old hands" will return especially now that our beloved club are in 3rd place and still with a shout in Europe.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »

Whilst I agree with you that some of the topics can be a bit superficial, it would be improved if more of the "old hands" did participate.  I like this forum and I will continue to post and hopefully, not only the regulars will do likewise but the "old hands" will return especially now that our beloved club are in 3rd place and still with a shout in Europe.

It is always good when old members come back, and new members join. We need many different views. Even though I am newish there is a good bunch on here.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline pieboy

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 10:42:35 AM »
Lots of tension going on in these forums of late. Regardless of your views, it's obvious everyone on here is passionate about their team. Sometimes we all get a bit too engross in it all, me included.

I use to read some of the posts on here and get a bit miffed and think 'WTF' are some of you guys on. But of late, I couldn't care too much, more so over the last 5-6 years now, I have really enjoyed watching spurs more than ever.

For me now, football is a form of entertainment, a way to keep my mind of the mundane things in life. Watching the West ham game on Monday last Monday night reminded me of this. The anticipation of getting away from work, home for a cold beer and the start of the match with a couple of mates. The disappointment of losing a 1 goal lead and the euphoria that came with Bale smashing 1 in at 90 mins for a smash and grab. The unscripted nature of football is why I love it.

Watching the drama unfold is part of the pleasure, will we finish 4th? Or will we not?
f**k analysing every little detail, I’d rather watch the season unfold and take in the high and low of emotions that go with it.

Do I debate with my mates over whether levy should have splash the cash? Do I have a moan if we lose? of course we do. But it's the unpredictability that makes football so engrossing, and it's this unpredictability that makes everyone’s views and opinions so varied. If Football was as predictable as say the 100M race, could we really watch Usain Bolt (and it’s obvious that this guy is pretty special) race 38 + times a year? Would there be anything to discuss?

Of course a bit of discussing and debate is always needed, but people should be allowed to express their views without feeling they are about to get an ear bashing all the time. With football being so unpredictable how can one believe their views are so correct and everyone else is wrong? Now I must admit, I don’t even read most of the posts in here. I just have a quick read of the comment, post my view and don’t even bother with the response