SpursNetwork

January striker syndrome or serious problem?

Offline aspursfan

• Season Ticket: No
January striker syndrome or serious problem?
« on: January 17, 2011, 10:10:19 PM »
I was in the middle of typing an unbelievably long-winded response to the Andy Carroll thread when it occurred to me that we have been doing this every window since the Berbatov and Keane #1 weapon was dismantled. The reason is that we really haven't found an effective partnership when we've got 2 up front and we still (as far as I know) can't move anyone on. I'm assuming Keane is still pricing himself out of a move to Birmingham.

Here are my thoughts on our striker situation and I'm trying to be objective without putting down any of our players here. We have a missing element and have done for a while now. Berbatov had the vision, control and overall quality to score goals and create them for others. Keane had the movement and ability to create space for that partnership to flourish. Unfortunately, Keane wasn't the most important part of that partnership and Ferguson was well aware of that when he signed Berbatov and made certain comments when Liverpool signed Keane.

Defoe has pace and can score goals, but it has to be in the right situation. Pav is always an impact sub and good cover on the bench for me. We need someone who can menace the opposition's defense whether it's Everton, West Ham or Man United. We need a Tevez or a Rooney. They turn defenders inside out (even when Rooney plays like s**t) with their movement. Carroll doesn't necessarily have that movement, but he has the strength and ability to hold the ball up.

Look at Fulham after Zamora's injury. In fact maybe Zamora would be a bargain bin temporary solution to our problem if he gets back in stride! City wouldn't be in the top 6 without Tevez. So is 30M worth it for Carroll? Yes! That's just my opinion and it's pointless because both parties say the deal is off. I think Redknapp illustrated this problem in his team selection on Sunday.

Even though I'd love for us to sign Suarez, I think we'd find a similar problem. Suarez would put Defoe on the bench and leave us with an improved goalscorer, but the same problems that were exploited by Everton would continue to be a problem. Redknapp has said we won't make signings unless it improves our squad. My point to this little rant is that I think we're extremely unbalanced up front. I don't think we should bother bringing in what might be a Defoe upgrade until we've addressed what Crouch (despite his assists) and Pav (despite his record against top teams) will never provide.

What do you think?
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline Derry-Yid

• Hero: Teddy Sheringham
Re: January striker syndrome or serious problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 10:29:24 PM »
Carroll doesn't necessarily have that movement, but he has the strength and ability to hold the ball up.

Pav has the strength and ability to hold the ball up but Harry never gives him a run of games...he might not be as big and strong as Carroll but he can still do that job.

In fact maybe Zamora would be a bargain bin temporary solution to our problem if he gets back in stride!

We are trying to move forwards here not backwards..he was here before and didnt cut it..
"It's been my life, Tottenham Hotspur,
and I love the club."

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:41:56 PM »
The Zamora part wasn't in all seriousness. More of an example of the difference one player can make and in a role that I think we desperately need filled. I'm not putting Pav down at all, but he just seems like he's best suited in a role off the bench or as cover. I've never seen him really work the opposition's defense to the extent that he's opening up angles and creating chances. He can certainly pull a goal out of a hat. In some respects I think Pav would also benefit immensely from us bringing in someone who could provide that space for him because he can certainly make 1 shot change a game.
"Whenever BAE's hair isnt in corn rows he plays poorly. You may laugh but it is a proven statistical fact." -bigv

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:27:19 PM »
If theres a better option than Carroll out there then lets have him.

All I know is the team that I love needs someone that can bully defences, cause havoc in the penalty box, hold the ball up, ruffle some feathers, get in their faces........ basically an old fashioned no nonsense centre forward. We have plenty of artistry and skill up front with lots of attacking options from either wide or through the middle but we don't have a battering ram to soften up the defences, to give them something other than pretty football. Dare I say this but we are in danger of developing into a Scumbury Wanderers type team that want to walk the ball in the net........................... just a thought but would Kevin Davies do for a season.

;)

‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
there IS a better option than Carroll but the thing is he's quite cheap.... we want to waste alot of money on a big galoot who lumbers around and beats up women...

Jay Bothroyd is a Carroll with technique and better pace.... tho at 29yrs not that young, but the price will reflect this..

Offline millers-tach

• Hero: Steve Archibald
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »
Nice post Aspurs

You cover off how we play as a team and how individuals perform very well. One point i would add on Carroll though is he is a lot more mobile and probably has more movement than many suggest.

I just always find that the 'English' price of a player can be so over-inflated that you always wonder if there is better value elsewhere.

What has become even more apparent during this transfer window is that the number of big money moves is getting smaller and smaller, hopefully one day the stupid wages players receive will also fall.

Never sure who is the answer to our striker situation all i know is we are a level below being a great team and will remain there until we get ourselves a world class striker. Unfortunately there isnt too many of them going around and if we dont make top 4 this season we will go backwards as a team next year.

We can still raise our game and win the CL with what we have, might need a lot of luck but who doesn't?

Offline WilsonJet

• Mouthy Yank
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 01:56:43 PM »
Whatever happened to the short-lived rumors in transfer windows past regarding Giuseppi Rossi at Villareal (love that guy) and Edinson Cavani at Napoli?
He's strained his left adductor muscle it says. Whats that then ? Do we all have those or just footballers ? I wonder how mine are ? *courtesy of taimedowne*

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 01:59:56 PM »
Whatever happened to the short-lived rumors in transfer windows past regarding Giuseppi Rossi at Villareal (love that guy) and Edinson Cavani at Napoli?
Cavani is still owned by Palermo.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 03:02:06 PM »
ASF top ost there fella!

We have managed only 2 partnerships in modern times that really troubled all defences Sheringham/Klinsmann and Berbatoss/Keane.

In VdV we have one half again we are just missing the frontman as described.  I dont dispute at all that Carroll would do the required job for us also maybe improve in a short period but it may also go the other way and no way should we pay 30 mill for him at this time!  Thats the price Maure played for Berbatoss and no way is Carroll the same calibre that Berba was when he played for us ... when he wasnt sulking.

I think if we bring in any of our rumoured targets Surauez, Fab, Carroll Defoe will be off in August as the reason he left last time is he wasnt first choice couldnt handle being a squad player as he couldnt break up a strong partnership of berbatoss/Keane.

Kevin Davies he would be a cheap buy and could also mix it up for us....... could be a solution for remainder of the season as would Kenwyne Jones but would the clubs or players go for such a deal (as their name isnt Beckham)
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »
The Bentoid's impending transfer to Villa is possibly the biggest factor in Spurs now... I believe... getting Top4, at Citeh's expense...

the merry-go-round is about to start.... Pav/Crouch to go to Sunders, clearing the financial decks finally for the super-striker we need to come in...

Jay Bothroyd awaits  :up:

Offline Derry-Yid

• Hero: Teddy Sheringham
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 05:24:29 PM »
If we sign Carroll boys we may get used to the ball coming down with snow on it because thats all we are going to do is hoof it!...so much for the Tottenham way of playing!
"It's been my life, Tottenham Hotspur,
and I love the club."

Offline bigv

• Hero: Ledley King
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 06:01:14 PM »
If we sign Carroll boys we may get used to the ball coming down with snow on it because thats all we are going to do is hoof it!...so much for the Tottenham way of playing!

get used to it????/ we already are mate its all we do when crouch plays. Really puts the s**te up opposing defenses.

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 06:51:29 PM »
Good post aspursfan!

I hope we can bring in Fabiano, bit it's more and more unlikely...
COYS!

Offline aspursfan

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 07:00:29 PM »
Fabiano would be great, but didn't he say he wouldn't join Spurs because we're a small club or something like that?

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 07:33:31 PM »
Fabiano would be great, but didn't he say he wouldn't join Spurs because we're a small club or something like that?

Yeah your right he did, but i still hold onto the small chance he may just change his mind  :hide:
COYS!