SpursNetwork

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
World Football / England 1 Columbia 1 (4-3 penalties)
« Last post by Glenn R on July 06, 2018, 04:02:14 PM »
England 1 Columbia 1 (4-3 penalties).

This was a bad-tempered game with more wrestling that proper football. My thoughts were that the referee was quite lenient until a foul was done in front of his very nose (even though there were many other fouls he decided not to notice), and then he had no other choice but to point to the spot. Overall though, the referee let the Columbians get away with murder.

Before the kick off both sets of fans enjoyed each other's banter and they got involved in each other's singalongs and drum beats.

Even though England fans were outnumbered, it didn’t stop them raising their voices sky high so that the TV viewer and everybody around them could hear their chants for miles.

Anyway, we got our penalty, and Kane fired away. For the rest of the match, it was battles all the way, until a few minutes to go and Mina scored the equaliser. Heads dropped.

An extra half hour was presented to the players, and you could plainly see that both teams were tired and making mistakes. Finally, the whistle was blown for the completion of the two-hour battle royal. It was penalties, penalties that England feared, as they had a lousy – or non-existent – record in that Russian roulette drama.

So, we all took a few minutes breather. Then up pops Harry, we waited, holding our breath, and then the cheers go up as Harry scores. The fans go wild, here and back home. One-nil to us.

Radamel Falcao is the next to place his ball on the penalty spot and scores.  The Columbians are going crazy. They’ve equalised. The United striker is next up, and Rashford scores and we are back in the lead. 2-1.

Luis Muriel takes his turn for his team and scores. England’s turn again and Jordan Henderson steps up and… the England players and fans – all over the world – drop their heads as the ball doesn’t go in. You could see the pain in his face. We all dreaded that moment and were thinking “here we go again, another early trip back home… are we jinxed or what?”

Mateus Uribe steps up and hits the crossbar, and the shocked fans on both sides look on in surprise/ horror. They couldn’t believe their luck. Next up is Harry’s teammate Tripper to take the penalty. He scores. The fans are crying, laughing and hugging each other. Some, you could have sworn, were trying to make love to each other, but then again it could just be the sun beating down on us and playing tricks.

Carlos Bacca steps up and shoots, and Pickford saves. Is this really happening, I hear some scream. “He saved, “Pickford is a genius,” they cry. “Give him a medal, or knighthood” some even suggested.

Last to step up is Tottenham’s Eric Dier, you could sense the weight on his shoulders. Was Dier going into the history books as another English player who failed and sent England home early? But no, he scores and the world erupts and astonishment on everybody’s face. We broke the jinx, “we are coming home,” they sing. English players dive on each other, Southgate grabs the nearest person to him and hugs him. The English fans are crying and can’t believe what they’ve just witnessed. We are through to the next round.

The match wasn’t a great advertisement, but we did the job. Columbians came to wrestle and thought they could intimidate us. But all they achieved was an early bath and a reputation as a bunch of foulers and cheats. But to be fair, the English players showed their good nature and shook the hands of their abusers.

At that moment in time, the world was/ is England’s oyster. Paper after paper, interviews after interviews and TV shots after TV shots are continuously projected into our path. Even political shows such as the Daily Politics and Newsnight jump on the bandwagon and their political guests put their hostilities to each other to one side and unit in talking up the England boys and their chances of going further. It seemed that if you are English, then you were in the limelight.

All this was happening while Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland looked on stunned and miserable, with some, I must admit, congratulate their nemesis and wishing them well.

Fans, players, media and basically everybody spent the next couple of days discussing what they had witnessed or were apart off, and in particular, the Tottenham boys were ahead of that discussion.

If you are a Tottenham fan, then you had that extra thing to be proud of. Not only was England in the next round, but it was because of the Tottenham boys that helped propel them there.

This Saturday England faces Sweden in a lively and exciting battle for higher glory. They say 24 million viewers witnessed England’s victory on that Tuesday. I can see the figure going even higher as we – hopefully – progress through the competition. We are England, we are Tottenham. We are the world. God save the Queen, God save Tottenham Hotspur.
World Football / Re: England 0 Belgium 1 (a bit late)
« Last post by Glenn R on July 03, 2018, 05:11:15 PM »
And over the moon if we win.
World Football / Tonight is the night. England v Columbia
« Last post by Glenn R on July 03, 2018, 05:10:41 PM »
Today or evening is the day when football fans stand still (or sit) for hopefully a great spectacle. The day that England shows their metal. Not only in the eyes of the English population but the rest of the world, who will be looking in as well. And of course, let us not forget Wales, Scotland and Ireland (north and south), who will be looking in with jealousy in their hearts. And let us, also, not forget Ars*nal (who?), who sadly (ha!) have no players in the team. Never mind, they can enjoy the Spurs backbone of the England team showing the world and Ars*nal how it is done.

The team against Belgium wasn’t actually a full team, but a team of reserves. The team that beat Tunisia and Panama will be the team that is out there tonight.

How we play tonight against Columbia – and win – will determine our qualities and how far we can go. Even a win, but a poor performance will see the vultures circulating. Of course, if we can go all the way and win the trophy it won’t really matter how we performed as the Trophy will cover many sins. But I am jumping the gun.

I will be sitting with a good glass of red wine and some nibbles while watching the game. I hope you – the readers of this – be in a comfortable position and shouting the hell out of your location. Whatever you are doing, enjoy, savour and get behind the team.
World Football / Re: England 0 Belgium 1 (a bit late)
« Last post by spursjoolz on July 02, 2018, 09:48:19 PM »
Tomorrow is the big one. We will all be s***g bricks come kick-off time
World Football / England 0 Belgium 1 (a bit late)
« Last post by Glenn R on July 02, 2018, 05:18:00 PM »
England  0 Belgium 1

England lost against Belgium for a place at the top of the table. But to be honest, I didn’t know how to word that last sentence. Should it be that England, by losing had actually won the smarter move and Belgium actually lost? Was it tactical genius, or poor management? Whatever way we look at it the deed is done. Fate awaits us.

Years ago, and I am talking about years ago, it was always the done thing to put your best team out and only using subs when really necessary (such as injuries or poor performance), of  course that was years ago. Modern football is all about rotation and giving everybody a chance, even if it means we take one step forward and two back. Granted, it works for some... others, just get mocked and lose out.

The good news that we have learnt from that match, and that is Southgate’s second string team isn’t good enough to win a paper bag fight (unless they were told to lose, if so then I apologise).

There isn’t really much one can write about as it was a non-match. Other than tactical genius or naive stupidity. Southgate is a young manager learning the ropes. The team are also young and learning the ropes. I will say that Martinez didn’t look like he appreciated Belgium's goal, and he also made a substantial amount of changes himself. So it was the battle of tactically trying to lose, and Belgium lost, and England won. What is for sure, if we win and Belgium lose then the press will have a field day and praise Southgate. If England loses then the knives will be out for wasting an opportunity to beat Belgium.  s**t happens, but s**t also depends on which way the wind is blowing and who gets the wind in their face.

What was also interesting was the atmosphere by the England fans. Nobody really seemed bothered that we lost. Apart from a few moans and groans, overall they were reasonably happy. Even the press and commentators seemed a bit subdued.

My feelings, by talking to certain people (if you know what I mean; a nod is as good as a wink to a blind man, sort of thing) was that the whole things was a tremendous tactical genius display, if it was pulled off well. Personally, I am not a gambler, but then again I am not running the national or a league team. And I certainly don’t get the money they get. What was it that Disraeli said about “greasy poles?”

Everything, so far, connected to the Russian tournament seems to be going well, and everything is tickety-boo (that is if you count England losing a good thing).

Onwards and upwards, and the next port of call is England v Columbia. All fine at sea, until the big waves come and start swishing one around.

Since writing that piece there has been a few developments: Spain, Germany, Argentina, Denmark have made an exit. Let us hope we can keep our momentum and beat Columbia.
World Football / England 6 Panama 1
« Last post by Glenn R on June 26, 2018, 09:37:59 AM »
England 6 (yes, six) and Panama 1

Before this match we witnessed Belgium beating Tunisia 5-2 (that the is the day before) and thought we were going into a fight to see who had the biggest jockstraps (that is between us and Belgium) and that it is them that would lead the table in so many ways. After all, Belgium was considered favourites, at least to get to the next round (and of course they had some Spurs players on their side… a done deal then, but, one moment, so do we…).

The England squad were considered too young and too inexperienced, but that didn’t mean we lacked enthusiasm and skill. So the crowd around the stadium were all in a jolly good mood – both sets of fans – couldn’t wait until that bloody whistle blew. The ones left back home were no less excited and huddled around their TV screens, wherever that was and whatever condition (outside or inside, hot or cold or even distant lands; expatriates).

We also remembered the tackling from the Tunisia game where it went unpunished, hopefully, this time the referees were at least on the ball, or the man.

So, the excitement was there, and the whistle finally went.

Before you could get an even proper breather in the 30c heat up popped Stones to score in the 8th minute. Well deserved? Yes, but – hold your horses – don’t get too cocky as it could backfire and they could suddenly equalise. Then the wrestling started by the Panama boys, but this time the eagle-eyed referee spotted it, and a penalty was awarded. Up pops our man Kane, all attentive – and takes a fantastic shot and Bob’s your uncle and Fanny is your aunt.

The fans had a wabble, as they didn’t expect things to go this quickly, but 12 minutes later Lingard scored a fantastic goal and some – not all – wet themselves (could be with beer, but who is taking notes!). What a goal, we shouted, we were going horse, and only 36 minutes had gone by. God… we needed a breather in this heat… but four minutes later Stones got his second, making the score 4-0. What the bloody hell is happening, I heard some gasp. This isn’t like England of old… or even new.
Then the bastards were at it again with a bit more professional wrestling and another penalty.  Up came our man to take it and what a cracker it was. Right on half-time plus one minute. We needed the break to collect our thoughts. It wasn’t supposed to go like this… inexperience means inexperience, and that meant wabbles and disappointments. What would the second half be like?

After getting some refreshments the second half was quickly upon us and we settled down to a slower, some even said lethargic, England squad.  I wouldn’t go that far. Nevertheless, I hope this wasn’t a sign of being too cocky?

Anyway, 17 minutes into the second half God or some prefer to call him Kane managed to score his third goal without even looking or trying (some say a reflection, others say the mental shenanigans of a powerful psychological force; i.e. Kane directed it to his leg… I hear the music of the Twilight Zone in my head). Whatever way you look at it Kane has – so far – becoming the talking point of the competition; a hero and all round Messiah of this tournament. And to boot, he also became the top scorer of this World Cup (so far).  Yes, he is on 5 goals while the mortals are less adequate. But let us not get carried away.

Yes, let's not get carried away as we have only played the minows, so far… oh, and the story isn’t complete without saying that Baloy (in the 78'minute) scored for his country and their supporters were ecstatic. We were ecstatic, they were ecstatic… everybody was ecstatic… we were in love with each other (their’s was their first world cup goal).

So, England recorded their biggest win at a World Cup to overwhelm Panama and secure a place in the last 16 before their final Group G game with Belgium. So well done England, but let us keep our feet firmly on the ground. Belgium are a different kettle of fish and also have a few Spurs players in their squad… and as we know with Spurs players, they can cause so much damage, as we showed last season. We didn’t finish 3rd – all matches away from home – by being pushovers, God no!

Harry Kane played a captain's role once more with a hat-trick to become the tournament's leading scorer, as I said, as England built on their opening victory against Tunisia with an impressive show of ruthlessness and quality.

The margin of victory for England topped 3-0 wins over Poland and Paraguay in Mexico in 1986, and against Denmark in 2002.

England top Group G as they have fewer yellow cards than Belgium. If they draw the final game it will go down to disciplinary records to decide who finishes first - and if that is level lots will be drawn. So there you have it.

What more can I say that hasn’t been already written or spoken? But what I will say, is that even though we did well in our two games, the big test will be against Belgium and then the knock out stages against some big fish. And they – the big fish - got to their next rounds by earning that honour, as we did. Be warned!

The next match (Belgium) will be on Thursday 28th June, at 7 pm at the Kaliningrad Stadium, Kaliningrad. ITV has the game.

Spurs Chat / Re: Tables released and new stadium
« Last post by Glenn R on June 25, 2018, 04:05:58 PM »
Yes, so am I. I am also hoping - before it officially opens - to go to some test/ operational matches.
Spurs Chat / Re: Tables released and new stadium
« Last post by spursjoolz on June 20, 2018, 09:42:58 PM »
All I can say is that, as a non season ticket holder,  I look forward to going back to the Lane (as it still is) to watch our boys next season.
World Football / World Cup 2018 Tunisia 1 England 2.
« Last post by Glenn R on June 20, 2018, 05:38:00 PM »
Tunisia 1 England 2.

This was an up and down game… and then up.  Harry scored after 11 minutes (who else) into the game and then through a stupid hand-waving or hand defence by ex-Spurs player Walker helped Tunisia equalise with a penalty. Fans helped their heads in their hands... if you were an Ars*nal supporter you probably dropped it (not a pretty sight!). Long after that penalty Walker was protesting his innocence. That was in the first half and after 35 minutes. Our hearts were in our mouths (God knows where Walker's was!). The second half came with many fouls on Kane, but that didn’t stop the referee being inconsistent and ignoring fouls on our players. Alli seemed injured and his consistency dropped, then injury time came – still drawing – with Tunisia throwing everything at us… then, good old boy, Harry puts his head into gear, ball into the net and we finally and deservedly are 2-1 up and then game over. All good things end well in the end. Not to have won would have been an injustice. Eighteen million viewers and over watched that match. The same amount that voted for Brexit (actually just under, but it was too good not to mention!)... conspiracy, coincidence, alien interference or who gives a Finklestein? Yes, let us leave it. There is enough going on in Parliment to worry about distractions. Let us stick to Tottenham and how they can help England march onwards and upwards!!!!!

The media went wild (that is the match, not about Parliment),  fans rejoiced and everybody was happy. More important – yes, more important than the result – was that Tottenham was on the lips of everybody. I say bring on all the Spurs players to guarantee an even better win and the heavens will open. And no Ars*nal player in sight. What more can a real fan of football purity want? Maybe, a season ticket at Spurs… there are some still some going begging, anyway, we are side-tracking with enjoyable goodies… back to the task at hand. Don’t you just love being a Spurs supporters?

Next up is Panama this Sunday, so no Church (or just Charlotte Chruch), or the bricks and mortar Church if you want to pray for the right result… any praying I do will be to the Gods of spurs to spray their wisdom on our players to help the England team on to even greater things.

There you have it, but a word of warning. I fancy our chances better when we play the likes of Belgium, Germany etc as we raise our game. Teams like Tunisia we are expected to win and therefore there is more of a chance for them get an upset. Just look at Germany, Argentina and Brazil (where all the nuts are)  and you can see how surprises can really surprise you.

Not one week gone and we are all in full swing and happy moods. Even good old Russian espionage, or killings, Soviet thoughts, or public beatings or even misuse of inappropriate Computer playing to help Political allies, has phased the FIFA World Cup yet. But there is time...

Dobryj vyechyer! dohb–rihy vye-cheer (that is Russian, not bollocks talk... well, I suppose it is if you don't understand anything Russian or any language then it will be all bollocks talk) to you all and until the next time... let us do even better!

The above means "Good Evening". My Russian is good, more so when I put it in a translator and came up with what you've got. If a Russian spy saw that and said I've got it wrong, just don't put me in the Gulag and do nasty things to me... such as things you would normally have to pay for privately...

From Russia with Love

Spurs Chat / Tables released and new stadium
« Last post by Glenn R on June 15, 2018, 06:56:22 PM »
Tables released and new stadium

So, where do we start? I suppose the new stadium.

It has been confirmed that we will be moving into our new ground this up and coming season, but not until September 15th, and that will be against Liverpool. That is just over one month after the league has started, which is on the 11th August and that match will be against Newcastle United away. However, officially, we do have a home game against Fulham – are you following me so far? – at, yes,Wembley.

We could have played away again, but the coaching team thought it wouldn’t be a good idea to play a whole month away from the mass Tottenham supporters, therefore, we will revisit our temporary home for just one match before the fanfare and trumpets start ringing out, and we finally arrive at our new stadium.

According to my contacts within the regime, this was planned months ago… even far back as 2017 (that is if they could twist the arm of the FA to allow them to do so, which we have done). But the story isn’t over yet, as the Liverpool game won’t be our first inaugural game or allowing the masses in. There will be four openings – Spurs actually wanted 3, but the FA insisted on four – or operational tester matches. Who or what will entertain. I’ve been given a few ideas, but won’t say anything here in case it has been changed (as plans have been thrown backwards and forwards, however, I can say that one of the suggestions is Tottenham Ladies playing at the new stadium. One earlier proposal was that fans were invited to the ground for drinks, but that was thrown out. I also believe, as things stand now, whoever we’ve got the entrance fee should be free, but fans will have to apply.

The operation dates are 5th, 18/19th, 25th/ 26th and 1st ort 2nd September.

So that is that!

Our first league match of the season, as I said, is away to Newcastle United. Who, coincidentally was our first opponents last season away. Then we face Fulham at Wembley, followed by Manchester United and Watford away. Then we have the grand opening of our new stadium, which will be against Liverpool (those that ended last season below us in fourth). If you remember we beat them 4-1 at Wembley and held them to a draw at Anfield. So that will be an exciting and much looked forward game. Hopefully, we will get the same result as last time (at Wembley) and get a great and memorable occasion.

The last game of the season will be a home match, as it was last season, and that will be against Everton and their new manager.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10