SpursNetwork

Is the criticism just or will things improve?

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Is the criticism just or will things improve?
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:14:27 PM »
In some quarters the criticism has come out against Spurs, but are they just? Granted we are misfiring up front, but what about our defensive record this season? It was our defensive record last season that did it for us.

But let us look at this season (so far). United and City have conceded no goals. Ars*nal, Liverpool and Swansea have conceded 3 goals. Based on that, Spurs would be joint 6th (with a few other clubs) in the defensive league. Considering that we scored one of those goals, then that would puts us on the par with Ars*nal, Liverpool and Swansea. And with Swansea and United playing today, we could go further up the defensive league. On what we’ve seen so far Pochettino - where the defence is concerned, has done a good job. This leaves our scoring record. I’ve noticed today that Pochettino has said that “once we have our full squad at our disposals then things will be different”. Whichever way one looks at it I don’t think there is anything to worry about at this precise time in the football calendar. But maybe you disagree?
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Is the criticism just or will things improve?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:36:52 PM »
We haven't faced any "scoring" teams yet. Yet, I agree, it's early and big guns (besides Manchester City) haven't set the world alight either. Four games and zero wins, of course, is a concern, but I suppose the louder calls for Pochettino's head will start sounding if we don't get wins against Sunderland and Palace.

Offline Ruth

• Hero: Harry Kane
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 01:07:25 PM »
RiffHard, do you mean the team that beat Chelsea, at Stamford Bridge 2-1? That Palace? Is there any teams in today's league that could be considered pushovers? I agree it is early days and if we don't score we could fall further behind. With the Window nearly closed I am hoping that we purchase other players and really be a force in the premier league. Chelsea and Liverpool slipping up can only be good news for the rest of the Premier League.

I disagree that City hasn't set the league alight. They played a brilliant game against Chelsea and deserved to win. Unless things dramatically change I've got them down to win, come the end of the season, what all teams fight are fighting for.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »
RiffHard, do you mean the team that beat Chelsea, at Stamford Bridge 2-1? That Palace? Is there any teams in today's league that could be considered pushovers? I agree it is early days and if we don't score we could fall further behind. With the Window nearly closed I am hoping that we purchase other players and really be a force in the premier league. Chelsea and Liverpool slipping up can only be good news for the rest of the Premier League.

I disagree that City hasn't set the league alight. They played a brilliant game against Chelsea and deserved to win. Unless things dramatically change I've got them down to win, come the end of the season, what all teams fight are fighting for.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
I actually meant 'except Manchester City'. English is not my first language and has become rusty recently.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 06:15:37 PM »
As things stand at the moment I think City will win the league. It would be nice to say that Spurs would be second, but fourth, at the moment, would be great.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 06:27:26 PM »
Aaaand Swansea just beat Manchester United for the third time in a row. So, after gameday 4 the top 4 looks like this:
1. Manchester City 12
2. Crystal Palace 9
3. Leicester City 8
4. Swansea City 8

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
Time to praise will come after Erikson's return and our new signing have played a few games. ie: Njie & Son  particularly and this will happen soon. Our defense is showing signs of improvement. So I can't see to much to worry about yet!

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »
Aaaand Swansea just beat Manchester United for the third time in a row. So, after gameday 4 the top 4 looks like this:
1. Manchester City 12
2. Crystal Palace 9
3. Leicester City 8
4. Swansea City 8

I believe that City can win the title. They are good enough. As for Palace, Leicester and Swansea; it will drop off for them and out of those three I think Leicester will have a fight on their hands. Swansea will do reasonably well and I've been impressed with Palace since Pardew took over.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Jane

• Hero: Lamela
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 10:03:11 AM »
Chelsea will bounce back, but then it would be a straight fight between City and Chelsea. The others will have to fight for the next two spots. But I do agree it all depends on how quickly the manager can mould his team to challenge for titles.

Jane x

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 04:44:48 PM »
I think C Palace will do well, just hope they don't do well against us.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline a12 warrior

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 09:03:36 PM »
Oh well another window closes as usual Tottenham linked with every possible striker net result nothing!
We now have Harry Kane to play week in week out what happens when he gets injured?
Tottenham are now just an average prem team with no hope of breaking into the top 4.

4 games 3 points not good enough early doors will it get better guess we will get 3 points at Sunderland and everyone will think we are ok.

Make no mistakes we are in for a hard slog this season and I believe looking for a new manager before the season ends or after it ends :'(

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 11:25:10 PM »
Oh well another window closes as usual Tottenham linked with every possible striker net result nothing!
We now have Harry Kane to play week in week out what happens when he gets injured?
Tottenham are now just an average prem team with no hope of breaking into the top 4.

I have been told to believe that Njie is a striker, not a winger and that Son can also play in that position!

As Lamella is now staying, he can also play up front imo

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 06:58:27 AM »

I have been told to believe that Njie is a striker, not a winger and that Son can also play in that position!

Lamela played up front during the pre-season and was quite hopeless. And as Levy didn't manage to get rid of Adebayor, we still have him to use...  :hide:

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »

4 games 3 points not good enough early doors will it get better guess we will get 3 points at Sunderland and everyone will think we are ok.

Make no mistakes we are in for a hard slog this season and I believe looking for a new manager before the season ends or after it ends :'(

We do have young strikers (like Carroll) and if they are given their chance (like Kane had), well, you never know. :hide:
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 04:11:35 PM »

Lamela played up front during the pre-season and was quite hopeless. And as Levy didn't manage to get rid of Adebayor, we still have him to use...  :hide:

I don't think you can read too much into preseason; nobody wants to give their full potential in such friendlies in fear of injury.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do