____

Man Utd

Barclays Premier League - 20th Jan  - KO 16:00  - Ground: White Hart Lane

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Re: Tottenham v Man Utd
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:47:44 PM »
I am looking forward to the game tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be called off. But there is expected more bad weather; especially in the London area. I shall be leaving early.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 08:20:15 PM »
When was the last time Spurs game at WHL was called off because of snow (or rain)? I thought WHL had under soil heating?

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 08:33:48 PM »
When was the last time Spurs game at WHL was called off because of snow (or rain)? I thought WHL had under soil heating?

They have. But that isn't the problem. If trains are cancelled and cars can't travel on the road - because of the bad weather - they won't have any support. Clubs have cancelled because of fans not being able to get to the ground; more recently Ars*nal's game against West Ham on Boxing day was cancelled.

The funny thing is that pre 70s the majority of fans came from Tottenham or nearby so it wouldn't really have made a difference. Nowadays that number has been reduced considerably with the majority of fans coming from all over the country and abroad.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 10:25:53 PM »

They have. But that isn't the problem. If trains are cancelled and cars can't travel on the road - because of the bad weather - they won't have any support. Clubs have cancelled because of fans not being able to get to the ground; more recently Ars*nal's game against West Ham on Boxing day was cancelled.

The funny thing is that pre 70s the majority of fans came from Tottenham or nearby so it wouldn't really have made a difference. Nowadays that number has been reduced considerably with the majority of fans coming from all over the country and abroad.
Ah, yes, didn't think about that. Thanks.

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »
Scary game, still  looking  forward to it with mixed feelings. I have predicted a 3- 2 win to us, but I would settle for a draw.

I will be watching  the Chelsea v Arse game, hoping for draw, but somehow, I think Chelsea will pull it off.

Offline davidjmcclure

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »
Precedent suggests that Spurs will have a hard time resisting Man U. An open game full of goals.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »
I will be happy with a draw, ManUre will up their game for revenge when we beat them well earlier this season!
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 06:53:04 PM »
A draw it is and it could have been a win had we been a bit more classy in our finishing. This proves that we definitely need a "proper striker" in Jan.

I would say that we humiliated ManU today and with a bit of luck we would have got all 3 points.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 07:57:09 AM »
       1-1 What a great result, nothing less than we deserved.
     Joolz, you are one hundred % right , we did humiliate them, played them off the park, as per usual they get all the luck, it could have been at least 4-1, and as you quite rightly say we definitely need to buy another class striker, having said that, Defoe and Dempsey played well just didn't get any luck. I was somewhat surprised to see Verthongen on the bench though, and it was good to see Benny back in action. But overall a bloody great performance. Well Played Lads.  COYS

:up: :up: :up:
:SN:[font

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 08:00:26 AM »
I thought we started well, then conceded a sloppy goal ( Walker !!! ) For the rest of 1st half their passing was sharper. However had Defoe, yet again, been more clinical, than combined with our 2nd half supremacy we should have ended up winning, probably 3-2 allowing for the pen they should have had.
Without a doubt, we are much more resilient these days, even when Bale and Defoe are not having the best of games, and Verthonghen was ill. That said, I thought Daws & Caulker were pretty solid.
Good to see BAE getting some game time, and his cross lead to the goal. We should have done that more, as their keeper is suspect at crosses.

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 11:55:44 AM »
     I thought Man U were very lucky to finish with 11 men on the park, the Japanese player could probably have been sent off in the 1st half, by that I mean 2 yellow cards(1 for a foul on Dembele when he had a double handful of his shirt, how the Ref didn't see that I don't know, and the other for when he body checked, I think it was Lennon, and again no free-kick) and the other was Evra, he should have been given a 2nd yellow card for a foul on Dempsey, when Dempsey played on and shot straight at the keeper, had he have gone down it would have been a penalty.
     They were lucky not to concede 3 maybe 4 goals, I thought we were by far the better side overall, and it showed in shots on goal and possession.

:nods: :nods: :nods:
:SN:[font

Offline yidmafioso

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »
A draw was the absolute least we deserved and we maybe could/should have won . I thought dempsey had a great game and dembele was very good too . I was interested to hear ferguson bleating about the penalty shout afterwards . How many disgraceful decisions have gone against us in games against man utd ? He also had the absolute f**king nerve to moan that the linesman gave us everything !!!! WTF  ???
If your not spurs you`re dead to me

Offline spursjoolz

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 12:54:33 PM »
It's was a good feeling to score the equaliser in "Fergie Time". This is an event that never happens to us and always seemed to favour Man U.  So double whammy here!

The after match talk on sky with pundits Neville & Rednapp was quite remarkable, particularly as Neville appeared on the verge of tears and slagged De Gea for not punching the ball far enough when Dempsey equalised.  I thought De Gea had a great game.

He also suggested that Dempsey should have gone for the pen when he almost scored shortly before that and De Gea kneeled the ball away.  Appallling comment to make when we already have a very difficult situation with Bale's alleged diving.

Not forgetting Fergie's rants about the lino who should have"given" a pen when Rooney collided with Caulker, which is exactly what happened. If you look at it again Caulker is in front of Rooney who catches his left leg on Caulker's calf. No pen! :nope:

Anyway, a good day as a whole, which could have been great  had we had better  finishing qualities. With the Arse losing it slightly balance it out provided that Chelsea don't increase that 4 point gap.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 05:38:10 PM »
The first half I think United deserved their goal. But the second half was a different game.
23- 6 to Spurs On shots
18- 4 to Spurs on target
9- 4 to Spurs on Corners.
7- 14 with United winning on the foul department.

It would have been totally criminal if we didn’t go home with something. We were far superior in the second half. Three 1 to us should have been a more just result. Spurs battled without giving up. A really good second half. The other good result was Ars*nal losing but a draw would probably have been better for us.

When I get a chance I’ll put some pictures up.

One other note of interest; Beckham was behind us – in one of the boxes – with his son.

[Sorry; on another thread I put this in the wrong place]
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do