SpursNetwork

Sweet Stadium News! (ITK)

« on: May 06, 2007, 01:56:50 PM »
Posted by CAS1 over on Spurs Odyssey:

As a result of a leak from Mayor Livingstone's office, we have discovered that a new tube station to be called "White Hart Lane" is planned to open in 2012 in time for the Olympics.

The station will be sited on the other side of the Paxton Road end and will have a subway leading directly into the ground.

This means that that the Club will be staying at WHL and we understand that it intends to expand the stadium capacity to nearly 50,000.

The plans are to stay at WHL and rebuild the West stand first, moving most of the offices and other facilities next to the new station and installing twice as many seats as present.

The East stand will then also be rebuilt to increase capacity and remove the existing pillars.

There will be subways under the stands with travelators like those at Heathrow under both the East and the West stands to speed arrival and departure from the ground during games.

The directors have decided that it would not be financially viable to move temporarily to another stadium and so the ground will have a reduced capacity while each stand is rebuilt.

The station will be on a new branch of the Victoria line running from Finsbury Park via WHL to a new station called "Lee Valley" North East of WHL which will have a huge underground car park just the other side of the King George V reservoir.

The new car park will be situated just inside the M25 because, as will shortly be revealed in the TV media and the national press, the Mayor intends to expand the Congestion Zone after the Olympics to the whole of the area inside the M25 and wants eight huge car parks built roughly on the points of the compass to force commuters to use public transport to get into London.

The Club have already announced that it will decide this year whether or not to move from WHL.

The new tube station will solve most of the transport problems and is part of the Mayor's plans to rejuvenate the local area.

The following facts support the intention for a new tube station to be built:-

a) There already is an existing tunnel built in 1960 from the Thames at Hampton to the King George V reservoir - see East London Waterworks

b) According to the history of the Victoria Line - some test work on new, cheaper, tunnelling techniques was carried out in 1960 and 1961

c) Ken Livingstone is on our side - see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2862557.stm

d) According to the Club's accounts, at 30 June 2006, Tottenham Hotspur Football & Athletic Co. Limited had direct interests in the subsidiary undertakings noted below, all of which are registered and operate in England and Wales including:
Paxton Road Limited

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 02:48:39 PM »
That is tremendous news if true. Transport links seem to be the one big draw back to developing the Lane, this would be the best result all round. A new tube stop would be a bonus for the area as well. Pity the Arse didn`t think to sort out tube links before moving into there new gaff!
BTW, on the subject of tube stops, isn`t it time that the "Ars*nal" stop on the Picadilly line was renamed Gillespie Road again?

Berba's girl

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 03:48:50 PM »
WOW! That's some news if it's all true. I will be ecstatic if the club stays at WHL. It's all about tradition & history & I feel you lose some of that it you relocate. However, the impact it will have on getting tickets for games is gonna be a nightmare. Having said that, I'd rather go through that situation for one season (if that's all it takes) than move to a new stadium. Whatever decisions are made, it's all about the club's future, and now IS the time to make things happen.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 04:33:02 PM »
I agree WHL is the home of the spurs and long may it last

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 06:13:58 PM »
Absolutely fantastic.  Long live WHL....

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 06:16:01 PM »
I hope that at least some of this is true and that it gets rubber stamped before the vile Ken Livingstone is voted out, as he surely will be, at the next mayoral election.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 06:54:17 PM »
WHL is an amazing stadium. Who cares about the arse no body. It is just fantastic absoultely and hope this is true.

Offline Storts

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 07:38:06 PM »
Now that news really has made my day. All I can hope is that it is true. It seems credible enough to me.

We belong at White Hart Lane, we have a chairman who is a fan through and through and will do all he can to bring success to the club. He does not want to lose our home, the place so special to us and so he has made it possible to stay there. No seeling name rights or anything stupid like that. The heart of the club will remain. Well done Tottenham and Levy.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 11:45:15 PM »
This is great news. ive spoken to away fans who have come to WHL and they have also told me the diificulties they have had, getting to the lane. I am glad it has been sorted out, moving stadium would be a really unpopular decision.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 11:59:15 PM »
Maybe White Hart Lane can increase the capacity to around the 60,000 mark eventually so that we dont leave WHL.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 11:24:11 AM by Storts »

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 05:38:04 PM »
I wonder how badly the stands being closed will affect the atmosphere.  It might turn into a battle between stands as to who is louder when the other one is under construction:D

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 05:59:42 PM »
The directors have decided that it would not be financially viable to move temporarily to another stadium and so the ground will have a reduced capacity while each stand is rebuilt.

does this mean we wont be moving to wembly while WHL is under construction

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 06:08:03 PM »
WHL will look amazing with 50,000 that is what I think we will go up to. If it was 60,000 then it will be more great. But i think from what it is normally 36,000 to 50,000 is the right thing we should do with WHL and put some good faclities outside the stadium has well.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 06:09:08 PM »
Does any1 know if theres any pictures knocking around on the net of what the new redeveloped WHL might look like?

Offline THWH90

• In With The ITKs
    • http://www.spursnetwork.com
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 06:27:55 PM »
That sounds great! BUT I'm not so ecstatic about the capacity being reduced, so would that mean a whole stand would become useless?! Surely it would destroy our home atmosphere and therefore probably ruin a season... If they closed part of the stands, that would help but i expect they're going 2 knock down a whole stand...

Also looks like the new tube station will be ready 4 the olympics, so that means we might have 2 wait another 5 years 4 a new stadium! I would be happy if they could get it down by 2009/10...

Oh ye forgot, where did you get this from?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 06:31:58 PM by THWH90 »
Get Moussa Sissoko In Spurs!!!!

And come on City, break that bloomin' top 4!