SpursNetwork

BSC Young Boys 3-2 Tottenham

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
Re: BSC Young Boys 3-2 Tottenham
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 12:11:33 PM »
Dawson is nearly always an accident just waiting to happen..

thew left-footed Dos Santos was unlucky in having to play RM without a RB capable to overlap him SAFELY without exposing the rightside of defence.... this meant that he was constantly cutting inside but without a natural outlet outside of him where he'd created the space on the right flank...

if we play Gio there again, it needs to be with a RB like Kaboul who has can overlap very well and cross AND have the pace to get back into the RB position immediately after...

yet another negative to having 2 slow defenders next to each other, in Dawson n Corluka, covering the whole of the rightside... or rather... trying to...

Offline WilsonJet

• Mouthy Yank
  • Season Ticket: No
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 02:43:32 PM »
I seem to remember a nice ball in from Corluka on the right in the 83' that created Roman's goal.

I'm just sayin'...
He's strained his left adductor muscle it says. Whats that then ? Do we all have those or just footballers ? I wonder how mine are ? *courtesy of taimedowne*

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
I seem to remember Gio screwing up 2 or 3 times, if only he'd look up or just pass to someone........... maybe we would have done a bit better !!!!!!!

:nods:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 04:26:38 PM »
I seem to remember a nice ball in from Corluka on the right in the 83' that created Roman's goal.

I'm just sayin'...

so the 2 worst players on the pitch on the day combining well once for Pav to finally score 1 goal from his I-dont-know-how-many shots he allowed himself to take on from near impossible positions - that makes everything all right...

I thought Defoe was greedy, but Pav makes him look positively Santa-like in generosity

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 05:07:44 PM »
To take some of the fire off Dawson and Čorluka and on a really alarming side - what has happened to Modric?! His performances have been mediocre which is of course great when we compare his yesterday's performance with the antics of Palacious. Your thoughts?

Offline Colspur66

• Hero: Glen Hoddle
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 05:37:12 PM »
Fellas why so much doom and gloom. I agree for half an hour we were rubbish, but we are right in this game and will win the 2nd leg comfortably. I completely agree with comments about lack of pace with Charlie and Daws, but hey they both played a big part in getting us to the CL. That first 30 mins we looked like we were playing on ice, but that was our problem with the pitch not Young Boys good play. We had enough chances away from home to be sure that we will get plenty of good scoring opportunities at the Lane. I fully expect us to win by 3 0r 4 in the return.
Lets not turn on the team after a bad 30 mins.

Offline WilsonJet

• Mouthy Yank
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »
Agreed. They've got this.
He's strained his left adductor muscle it says. Whats that then ? Do we all have those or just footballers ? I wonder how mine are ? *courtesy of taimedowne*

Offline taimedowne

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 08:57:37 PM »
Yes even at 3-1 I was happy that we would qualify 3-2 is a decent result considering how poor we were at the start.

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 09:11:24 PM »
3-2 aint bad really. But i was really happy if we lost if arry didnt put in Hudds in. After i saw Palacious name on the starting XI i was sure we are going to lose. That guy lost possession and hold up play so much he made Modric isolated upfront!!

Even Bale was isolated wait lemme rephrase. The Midfield above was isolated due to this guy inability to run and pass!!!!

I wont blame Daws or Charlie but it was Arry's fault to play the defensive line so high up. They were just following orders and u can see it clearly 2nd half they played a defensive line not attacking which made our 2 goals.

Young boys was awesome anyway. I would take their 3 goals away. With them coming to the lane. Expect revenge tenfold

COME ON YOU SPURS!!

SUPPORT YOUR TEAM DAMN IT !! Lets have a whack at their players at the lane!!

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 01:42:43 PM »
Palacios wasnt great but he was no worse reallly then Modric in CM... tbf these 2 were outnumbered in CM by YBs playing 3 there...

we HAD to play a highline after going down in the match so early on..... the game perfectly highlighted how s**te having Corly and Daws together when we NEED to play a highline to push the midfield up the field and support the strikers more... this will happen in other games too, as no team is guaranteed not to concede 1st..

lets stop making Palacios the scapegoat, when other 'prettier' 'more popular' players were far worse and more directly to blame for the goals conceded..

as for' being much better in the 2nd half' defensively, lets not forget the 2 sitters conceded late on due to breeches in defense on our rightside..... not to mention a nailed-on penalty from Dawson's tackle if the Swiss guy hadnt been so honest and stayed on his feet...

overall.... we got lucky.... mainly due to a wonder-goal which wasnt deserved on the night...

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2010, 01:47:32 PM »
We'll bring what we got home and finish um off next week. End of
COYS!

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »
we still need to win the game while YGs only need a draw.... it'll be interesting if they score the 1st goal again, as we will then have to score 2 and therefore push forward to get the goals asap - and thus have to play a highline back4 again..

presumeably with the slow rightsided-pair Corluka and Dawson again.... after all they are both better than Kaboul are they not..

personally, I'd rest King on Saturday and play him on Wednesday as the rightsided CB, with Bassong next to him..

Offline dedleysting

• YID FOR LIFE!
  • Hero: Jürgen Klinsmann
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
All that left side, right side CB talk is a bit technical for my little brain, so whatever maaaan.
COYS!

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »
fair enough Dedleystink.... we wont give you Capello's job just yet then lol..

Offline Dom07Tottenham

• Hero: Gareth Bale
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 03:08:42 AM »

Dos Santos had a decent game in the circumstances, where not many Spurs players did, the whole team has to take some stick for that loss. I think Pav was hard done by, yes he gave the ball away a couple of times everyone did, nothing was on, and the shots he blazed over were not setup for him but rather he worked shots out of nothing, excluding the goal where Keane and Corluka played brilliant balls in, if Crouchy was on, Crouch would never had any shots, Pav much like Bale has the ability to create space for himself and shoot from long range, something I think we are lacking, of course Crouch can hold the ball up, but I believe Pav does a decent job at it aswell, just you don't really notice with Pav as he isn't as obvious as Crouch and his lanky frame he makes it look difficult.
Dawson BAE, Bassong and Palacios were giving me headaches, and considerable more stress.