SpursNetwork

Monaco 2 Spurs 1

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
Monaco 2 Spurs 1
« on: November 23, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »
Let us start with the good news: we had 63% possession. We did battle well, but just couldn't score. They had more shots on goal. This season we've been dogged by lack of good scoring opportunities. Our defence has been good.

Back-to-back defeats by Monaco and Leverkusen left us with no margin for error. Pochettino decided to rest key defenders Jan Vertonghen and Kyle Walker in favour of Wimmer and Kieran Trippier, but this might have something to do with the Chelsea game, but, his decision backfired; our backline appeared disjointed throughout and Wimmer in particular off the pace and at fault for the first goal. We now have one more match, at Wembley. A win would put us third and a place in the Europa league. Do we want it? And where will Europa league matches be played? Maybe we should concentrate on the league and FA Cup and put our exit down to experience. After all, there is another season; that is provided we get into the top 4.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Monaco 2 Spurs 1
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 08:05:04 AM »
Where to start ! I have to go back to last season, 2-0 up at Chelsea and we blew it. Last game of the season, needing just 1 point to finish 2nd, and we blew it. So we very obviously needed to strengthen our squad, especially with CL football a certainty. As per normal, we were linked with every player under the sun, and as usual we bring in a last minute "superstar" - Sissoko !!! I really do not know who is behind our transfer policy, but have to assume it is Levy.
So we have been found out in the CL and despite our unbeaten start in the PL, I suspect we are about to be found out in that. So, unless we can get the likes of Verthongen, Eriksen, Lamela, Ali, Jansen, Sissoko, Son, to step up their game to some sort of consistent level, then the Europa League beckons for the future, at best. I cannot believe that on top of a crap transfer window in the summer, so many of our supposedly better players are playing so badly.