are Dawson and Corluka viable ??

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: are Dawson and Corluka viable ??
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 04:39:37 PM »
Now I'm sure that your a Woolwich Wanderers fan..... Dawson along with Bale and Gomes were our best players last season and you are advocating replacing him with an unstable, sulking ex Gooner. If Whinger don't want him then he's obviously passed it, it's got nothing to do with Dawson being a nice bloke or anything like that according to the Official Premier League site top 100 players from last season

Dawson Ranked 62nd......... Gallas Ranked 76th

So if he does come Gallas will be cover for Dawson because over the whole of last season Dawson was a better player than Gallas....fact !!!

Ps just for information Corluka was Ranked 48th

:nods:

‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

• shooting the Messenger ??
  • Hero: Le Jenius
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 04:53:47 PM »
you obviously have your reasons for choosing Dawson.... so I'll just leave it to Arry to decide who starts at RCB if Gallas does come..

paying 80k a week wages for a player to sit on the bench will be just what Arry will be looking to do (when we already have Kaboul, Walker, THudd and orluka who can play CB too).... and Levy too..

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:56:27 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline WilsonJet

• Mouthy Yank
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 04:56:06 PM »
Nice.

And not for nothing, but a player isn't an automatic world-class first-teamer just because he plays for Ars*nal. IMO they've got three players - Cesc, RVP, and Arshavin. Other than that, they're simply above average. Loaded with young "talented" midfielders who are "full of potential" and veterans who never quite achieved anything. Spurs are better - top to bottom. FACT.
He's strained his left adductor muscle it says. Whats that then ? Do we all have those or just footballers ? I wonder how mine are ? *courtesy of taimedowne*

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 04:59:14 PM »
comparing players 1 on 1 is always a mistake.... it takes into no account how they blend as a team, the team's formation, player-chemistry, etc etc..

if you go with that old assumption, then Man City should have finished higher than us even last season.... and did they ??

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »
comparing players 1 on 1 is always a mistake.... it takes into no account how they blend as a team, the team's formation, player-chemistry, etc etc..

if you go with that old assumption, then Man City should have finished higher than us even last season.... and did they ??

Official Premier League Top 100 Players

Gomes........40th
Corluka.......48th
BAE...........50th
Dawson......62nd

So 4 of our back 5 made the top 100 no problem with Chemistry, Blend, Formation etc etc

I've watched football for 40 years and like to think I know a decent player when I see one, Dawson will die for you put his body on the line rather than let the ball into his net. Gallas will check his bank account first, over rated, over payed and emotionally unstable...... No thanks !!!!

I'll take effort and heart over someone looking for one last pay day.... and by the way how good has the Woolwich Wanderers defence been for the last 4 seasons ??

‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »
Defending involves a tad more than just sticking your body in the way of a shot near the goal-line.... if it was that simple Dawson would be coming up to his 50th England cap by now...

remind me how many he has again ??

youre now making me into a Dawson-basher and I dont wanna be.... he's a decent enough player with the right guys around him (abit like Terry).... but he's not what I regard as a top-class centre-half..

if Arry gets in Gallas, then you'll see for yourself where Dawson is in the pecking-order....

if Dawson wants to push for England and play regular 1st-team football, then he may need to move... but I'd like him to stay at Spurs tho' as he'd be good enough backup..

Offline CountPuchi

• From the Far East SPURS Fan!
  • Hero: Messi
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2010, 08:34:06 PM »
You do know Dawson didnt play because Capello lied about choosing players based on Form. Sure Terry is no.1 because he helped chelsea won the League.

But where did Upson came from? It should have been Dawson. See why ur saying about caps is definitely out. Wenger is a great coach and i would have to assume his bad attitude and he is such a mess i doubt he could perform like when he is at em Gooners.

Gallas by no mean is a top centre half. A top centre half to me should be in the form of Carvalho and of course King. These 2 players represents the best of the best but of course im not trying to be bias just because Gallas plays for Ars*nal mind you. Varmalen would be better than Gallas in the coming years and he got the quality if it wasnt for his lapse of concentration.

But facts are facts though, you cant disprove facts by saying based on reputation of a player from so called *bigger club* Ars*nal.

Daws ranked 62. Charlie 48.

About Mancs players. If they did blend, they should have been above us. They didnt, their squad really ran out of ideas once the team they meet digs deep in front of em. Sure they have the talent in their squad but whats the use if you barely know the team. Ours in the meanwhile gelled and know where/who is at on the pitch. Surely the win against Ars*nal,Chelsea, Mancs wasnt a fluke and Wenger himself said *If they want to prove themselves they should win against Chelsea* and we did. Who was playing at the back? Dawson did, Charlie did.. Gomes was left to do his job with no problems.

Again this year they will never have the proper time to blend. So far im seeing their friendlies are going bad. Ours are good , aint super but friendlies arent real games but still playing with mismatch formation and players shows our team gelled properly. Mancs failed to do that.

Back to Gallas, He used to be awesome, if we got him during his peak i wouldnt mind. But at 32? Thats a huge gamble for a player who woulnd't listen to his team mates at all. Judas Sol was taken from us during his peak so its a huge difference why Gallas would be a bad choice. Id rather play Bassong/Dawson or Kaboul/Dawson instead of Gallas/Bassong Gallas/Kaboul.

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2010, 08:57:58 PM »
if you just pick players according to some contrived formula and call it form, then why do we need managers to pick teams at all at intl. level ??.... lets just use some computer-program instead..

Form is temporary, Class is permanent..

Dawson had good FORM last season as the whole team played well and he also upped his game (from a very low base of previous seasons - or have you forgotten ??)...

if the German manager had relied purely on form to pick his WC team, then neither Podolski nor Klose would I guess have featured - as theese 2 had very ordinary FORM at their respective clubs Stuttgart and Bayern Munich..

Form is but 1 of the factors for consideration..

I see from tonight's starting XI that Dawson STILL hasnt managed to win his 1st cap for the mighty all-conquering England.... maybe he should find a Northern Irish grandparent pronto ??...

about Gallas.... his form last year was pretty good and his leaving Ars*nal had little to do with any rapid demise of ability.... rather that he wanted a 2yr deal at Ars*nal and Wenger is ideologically against giving over-30s anymore than 1yr contract extensions.... THATS WHY he left, not cos he aint good enough to play at CL level (unlike Dawson unfortunately)..

about Citeh.... youve just proven my poingt totally about the silliness of comparing players on teamsheets man-for-man... there are so many other factors that make a successful team than just the individual ability of players..,, on paper the conventions dictated that we had an inferior squad/team than Citeh's, but we still beat them twice in the league convincingly AND finished above them after 38 games.... I rest my case.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:09:31 PM by Gareth Keown »

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2010, 09:23:01 PM »
oh dear oh dear......

:-[

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2010, 10:06:08 PM »
Dawson will die for you put his body on the line rather than let the ball into his net.
oh dear oh dear......

Just seen evidence to that, Daws actually stopped the ball crossing the line, and somehow ended up with a bloody nose come the end of the match.

Form is temporary, Class is permanent..

Gallas has neither.
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2010, 10:30:02 PM »
I guess your idea of a good fighter is the guy with the cauliflower ears, Steve Bruce conk and scar-tissue around each eye-socket...

Mine would be the guy with the sweet face and the full mouth of pearly-white teeth..

Dawson playing against continental-style, sophisticated football with good movement and short-passing  will be cut to ribbons time and time again...

tonight's typical play whereby he will make a horrendous error, then have the temerity to try and hide it with a bloody-nose  (to show his passion and commitment) just encapsulates what Dawson is about..

he is a good old-fashioned type of CB, who can happily get down and dirty, to hopefully cover his fatal weaknesses of slowness of thought and movement...... but great at heading away opposing GK-clearances tho'...

Gallas just added 5k a week to his wage-packet with Spurs methinks..

Offline YidJoe24

• Jermain Defoe is Yiddo
  • Hero: David Ginola
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2010, 11:35:12 PM »
No mate, he didnt try and hide an error with a bloody nose, he attoned for is error when he got straight up and sprinted back to defend his goal, which he bloody did, only to the ref and linesman to cock up the decision. The bloody nose came about through hard work and determination to play well for his team, and I'd chose that every single time over some ex-scummy french c*nt who belongs in an insane asylum. Sure Daws may not be the fastest player in the world, but you seem to forget that on the big occasions he has one of the best CB's in the world standing right next to him, so pace is no worry when we've got Ledley, and before you go "oh so without Ledley, we're f*cked," No thats why we have Seb. As for Charlie, if on occasion he does let a player get past him, we've got two of the best denfesive headers in the game in Daws and Ledley. THATS what being a team is all about mate, covering up your teamates weaknesses with your strengths, no team in the world is full of perfect players, moreover there is no pefect player. Thats how we broke into the top 4 last season mate, through being a team, and part of the team is the most stable, consitent and resilient back 4 that we've had at the lane for years, which seems to have done ok without the fastest players in the world.
"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aimin low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best"

Bill Nicholson

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2010, 11:39:57 PM »
YidJoe Breathe !!!!!!

And here here mate couldn't of put it better !!!!

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2010, 11:52:57 PM »
Let's put an end to this pointless discussion talking for myself and from what I can tell 99% of the rest of the forum this is how it is.

Call it old fashioned, narrow minded, bloody mindedness, stupidity or just plain passion Gallas is an ex Scum player who has a mental problem, Dawson is part of our back four and loved by the majority of the WHL faithful. Gallas is 32 and wants £80,000 a week and we just don't want him not now not never because he is a bloody liability. You can argue about his good points but the majority can only see bad points, if you are truly a Spurs fan then you will understand why we don't want him, if you've ever been the on the Shelf when we've played the Scum, in fact if you've ever been to the ground when we played the Scum you'd unsterstand !!!!!!!

It's really that simple he's from the Scum down the road and we just don't want him because we think we have better, no we know we have better,  in Michael Dawson !!!!!

:)

Offline Gareth Keown

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2010, 12:07:43 AM »
I guess I just happen to love Spurs more than you hate anything to do wit them down the road..

pity your happiness in your team depends so much on the external factors of another team..

it seems that the golden get-out clause for Dawson always seems to be 'oh but he's okay with 'xyz' next to him to hold his hand'..... I prefer my defenders to be good enough to stand on their OWN 2 feet, and not be so dependent on others..

Bienvenue William...