SpursNetwork

James Peter Greaves

Offline Shameus

• Hero: Dave Mackay
  • Season Ticket: No
James Peter Greaves
« on: January 04, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »
Can anyone enlighten me on the differences our club has with Jimmy Greaves? I gather he is not yet in the Hall of Fame, which if true is more than a bit ridiculous.

Offline Persemillion

• Season Ticket: Yes
Re: James Peter Greaves
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 07:21:33 PM »
He did give a short pre-match interview at the Lane a couple of years ago but he also once said he didn't want to be involved in any kind of ceremony where alcohol was served.
However I understand he turned up at Chelsea recently so I wish he would sort out whatever differences he might have with the club. He was my first true footballing hero.

Offline baldbloke

• Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »
Can anyone enlighten me on the differences our club has with Jimmy Greaves? I gather he is not yet in the Hall of Fame, which if true is more than a bit ridiculous.

We were only one of his clubs. and from what I can gather we were not his favourite either !!
AVB OUT, AND TAKE LEVY WITH YOU

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:09:43 AM »

We were only one of his clubs. and from what I can gather we were not his favourite either !!
From my memory of watching Spurs regularly in the 60's he was quite harshly treated at times by Billy Nich. who was a very hard taskmaster. His drinking problems led to his early demise, and being farmed out to West Ham before he was 30 maybe ended his affinity to Spurs ? A legend to all Spurs fans though fo sure. If we had him now, we really would be pushing the Mancs.

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »

Despite the fact that many people dream of the profession of footballer, it really is a hard work. Yes, they get lavishly paid nowadays but it hasn't always been like that. Physically and psychologically it is one of the most demanding jobs. Playing for Spurs was just one of Greaves' jobs and if he doesn't consider us to be his favourite club, then fair enough. We've all worked for companies we like less than some others. Football club is not very much different  - yes you have many other players (co-workers) but you don't have to be good mates with all of them. You finish your day (game) and go home. Greaves was one of the best strikers of his era, we were lucky to have him and we haven't had many better later... So, good luck to him.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 08:20:30 AM »

Despite the fact that many people dream of the profession of footballer, it really is a hard work. Yes, they get lavishly paid nowadays but it hasn't always been like that. Physically and psychologically it is one of the most demanding jobs. Playing for Spurs was just one of Greaves' jobs and if he doesn't consider us to be his favourite club, then fair enough. We've all worked for companies we like less than some others. Football club is not very much different  - yes you have many other players (co-workers) but you don't have to be good mates with all of them. You finish your day (game) and go home. Greaves was one of the best strikers of his era, we were lucky to have him and we haven't had many better later... So, good luck to him.

Sorry mate, he was THE BEST and by a country mile. 30 + goals per season, top 1st div scorer 6 seasons.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
  • Hero: Glenn Hoddle The One True Ghod
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »

Funny according to Mr Greaves himself in an interview when he was signed at the end of the 61 season from AC Milan for a fee of £99,999 by Bill Nicholson, but that wasn't the only offer on the table at the time. Chelski were back in for him and willing to pay him more money too but he himself said all he wanted to do was sign for Spurs, and funny he played twice as many games for Spurs than anyone else he scored more goals than all his other clubs combined for Spurs.

I reckon he must of been really pissed off  and hated playing for us!!!!

:hide:
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:48 PM »

I've read that he was pretty disappointed to have been involved in a deal which brought us Martin Peters. Peters' transfer, of course, proved to be a fabulous deal.

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 02:03:45 PM »

I've read that he was pretty disappointed to have been involved in a deal which brought us Martin Peters. Peters' transfer, of course, proved to be a fabulous deal.

Yes he was disappointed at being part ex'd but while he was with us he was happy. I if remember rightly his words in the interview were something like
" I didn't want to go to West Ham I didn't feel I had anything to offer them, I just wanted to stay at Spurs"
‘It’s the stuff of dreams…As a child, being a fan of the sport, I never imagined that one day I’d be in this position. Kids from Kilburn don’t become favourite for the Tour de France. You’re supposed to become a postman or a milkman or work at Ladbrokes." Bradley Wiggins 2012 Tour de France Champion

Offline RSS61

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »
“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”

Unless you are Paul Scoles  :D

Offline ugs

• tottenham Till I die
    • www.boozeandcues.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 01:29:44 PM »
“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”

Unless you are Paul Scoles  :D

ROFL

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: