____

Basel

Europa League - 4th Apr  - KO 20:05  - Ground: White Hart Lane

Offline RiffHard

• Hero: Gary Lineker, Teddy Sheringham, Mart Poom
  • Season Ticket: No
Re: Tottenham v Basel
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »
Bale injured, Lennon injured, the only remotely positive thing was Adebayor scoring.

Offline Metalanimal

• Hero: Pat Jennings
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:34:26 AM »
Not a good night by any means, now our depth will be tested!!! a test I didnt want to happen at this point in the season.
THFC "COYS" and that is all I have to say about that!

Offline RSS61

• Hero: Jimmy Greaves
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:12:58 AM »
Back to the game. Basel are a good side, no mistake. However our defensive frailties were exposed so many times I lost count. Naughton Gallas BAE and Dawson were all too slow and disorganised. Its an unacceptable feature of our squad which needs urgently sorting out. On to the midfield. Dembele looks class, though he failed to spot the simple pass that would have put Sigurdsson in. Lennon & Bale were never in the game. Parker tries hard but thats it. Siggy & Holtby I thought showed good awareness and are part of our future I think. Apart from his goal, Ade might as well go. Dempsey can go back to Fulham on a free. As for Defoe, who knows.

Kind of sums up our season end yet again it seems. I really dont see top 4 now, does anyone else ?

Offline Paul Finch

• Hero: Billy Nick , Dave Mackay and all of the SPURS Legends
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:52:23 AM »
     Perhaps now those that accused me of being a Doom and Gloomer might just admit that I was right, Europa League is a crap competition that may well cost us Champions League, I am sorry to say that AVB has put too much importance on it, to the detriment of finishing Top 4 in the PL, with little or no help from our esteemed Chairman, WE DO NOT HAVE THE DEPTH IN OUR SQUAD, now we have injuries to both our wide men(Lennon and Bale) with little or no cover, in short gentlemen WE ARE IN THE s**t, and our next 3 PL games are against Everton(H),Chelsea(A) and Man City(H). When will LEVY learn?? Please don't anyone dare defend him!! His stupidity may well cost us CL next season apart from losing very important players in the summer. YES YOU ARE QUITE RIGHT I AM VERY f**kING ANNOYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
:SN:[font

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:24:43 AM »
By the way, Villas-Boas has stated that Bale's injury should not be as bad as it looked and he could be back against Man City. Now it remains to be seen whether this is the case.

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:53:19 AM »
  Riff,
       Whilst that is, I suppose good news, we are still going to be without him for 2 very important games, which, unfortunately, could prove to be extremely costly in the larger scheme of things, would you not agree?

:nods: :nods: :nods: [size=78%]     [/size]

Offline RSS61

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:06:32 AM »
     Perhaps now those that accused me of being a Doom and Gloomer might just admit that I was right, Europa League is a crap competition that may well cost us Champions League, I am sorry to say that AVB has put too much importance on it, to the detriment of finishing Top 4 in the PL, with little or no help from our esteemed Chairman, WE DO NOT HAVE THE DEPTH IN OUR SQUAD, now we have injuries to both our wide men(Lennon and Bale) with little or no cover, in short gentlemen WE ARE IN THE s**t, and our next 3 PL games are against Everton(H),Chelsea(A) and Man City(H). When will LEVY learn?? Please don't anyone dare defend him!! His stupidity may well cost us CL next season apart from losing very important players in the summer. YES YOU ARE QUITE RIGHT I AM VERY f**kING ANNOYED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO the Europa is a side issue. We had the same collapse last season. Its the fault of Joe Lewis for lack of investment and backing for AVB. The rest I agree with you.

Offline Glenn R

• Hero: Glenn Hoddle, Greaves, Bill Nicholson etc
  • Season Ticket: Yes
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »

It isn't over yet and we shall see how they perform without Bale or Lennon. I didn’t think the game was a good one but they did manage to come back and draw. We now need to score 3 goals on their ground.

As I said previously; it is about how we end up at the end of the season. At the moment we are third in the league. Bale could be back after 3 games. As for Lennon; his injury isn’t long term.
I’ve lived a life that’s full. I’ve travelled each and every highway;
And more, much more than this,
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

Offline RSS61

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »

It isn't over yet and we shall see how they perform without Bale or Lennon. I didn’t think the game was a good one but they did manage to come back and draw. We now need to score 3 goals on their ground.

As I said previously; it is about how we end up at the end of the season. At the moment we are third in the league. Bale could be back after 3 games. As for Lennon; his injury isn’t long term.

Well we beat Man U 3-2 at OT so anything is possible.

What is more of a worry to me is the total inability to keep a clean sheet. Without a doubt we have been relying heavily on Bale having a good game. Last night we did come back well to be fair. I just think that teams like Everton Chelsea Man City Stoke and Wigan all know how to exploit our weakness in defence and that IMO is going to cost us.

Offline RiffHard

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »
  Riff,
       Whilst that is, I suppose good news, we are still going to be without him for 2 very important games, which, unfortunately, could prove to be extremely costly in the larger scheme of things, would you not agree?

:nods: :nods: :nods: [size=78%]     [/size]
Of course it could. We must consider that we only have a handful of - but crucial - games left and the squad is thin, probably exhausted, and that is when injuries tend to come.

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 03:54:23 PM »

Well we beat Man U 3-2 at OT so anything is possible.

What is more of a worry to me is the total inability to keep a clean sheet. Without a doubt we have been relying heavily on Bale having a good game. Last night we did come back well to be fair. I just think that teams like Everton Chelsea Man City Stoke and Wigan all know how to exploit our weakness in defence and that IMO is going to cost us.

Sometimes when a key players is out it can change the thinking of the team. Sometimes I think they rely too much on certain players; we do have a talented team; now we will see how talented.

As for Chelsea, City Stoke and Wigan; I am hoping that players like Bale, Defoe and Lennon will be back for those matches.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do

Offline spursjoolz

• Hero: Teddy & Ossie
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 10:39:29 PM »
Well it doesn't look too bad for the 3 injured last night and all could be back in 2 weeks. Just the same, I feel very nervous with the Everton game coming up on Sunday and the fact that they could exploit our misfortune. It's now all down to the squad to show that they can perform without Bale or Lennon.

Offline Paul Finch

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 04:39:19 AM »
      Now we will see just how talented the likes of Dempsey and Sigurdsson really are, I have serious doubts about that, the only upside that I can see is that quite possibly Holt and young Tom Carroll might well get some game time, although AVB for some reason seems reluctant to start either of them in PL games, which surprises me somewhat.
      We shall see, I just hope these injuries don't cost us dearly thats all.

??? ??? ???

Offline Glenn R

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 07:40:58 PM »
      Now we will see just how talented the likes of Dempsey and Sigurdsson really are, I have serious doubts about that, the only upside that I can see is that quite possibly Holt and young Tom Carroll might well get some game time, although AVB for some reason seems reluctant to start either of them in PL games, which surprises me somewhat.
      We shall see, I just hope these injuries don't cost us dearly thats all.

??? ??? ???

Spurs were talented to do very well without Bale and Lennon when we played Everton today. In fact we should have won. When we last played Everton we had Bale and Lennon in the team and lost; that must say something.
I did it my way.

Regrets, I’ve had a few;
I did what I had to do